• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Springboks - Wallabies (09-10-2011, 18:00)

<br>
<br>
<br>
You mean the mistake where the ruck was formed and suddenly the ball magically got fingered out? Every game-changing decision that was made went against us. Sad really. After this game, I will forever regard Australia and Bryce Lawrence as cheats. Because that's how we lost. We were cheated.

Just excuses.
The best team lost today, but that's not ref's fault. If the ball is on your rival's half for 60 minutes and you are not able to score a single try you don't need to find further reasons for the defeat.

I watched this not really fussed about who won, but I feel SA should feel hard done by. Congratulations must go out to all Aussie fans, because it was a heroic defensive effort from their team, with Pocock awesome in and around the tackle area.

I don't think SA should blame everything on Bryce Lowrence, because SA should still have won despite a few iffy decisions. The last Aus penalty was possibly a little harsh, but Rossouw was clearly seen grabbing Horwill's (I think) foot before he hit the ground. I think most people thought the penalty was for Matfield interfering, but the conversations between Lowrence and the though judge clearly stated no. 4 which was Rossouw, not Matfield. Stupid bit of play, that is often missed, but as it was picked up, a penalty was probably the correct decision.

I'm not personally convinced by the two forward pass decisions given against SA. The one in the lead up to Pieterson's disallowed try looked flat to me, it was just the momentum of de Villers that took it forward, and the fact that de Villers was knocked backwards in the tackle made it look even worse. His hands appeared to pass backwards, or at least sideways. Ref being very picky there imo. The forward pass given on the opposite side was certainly not forward, but that didn't directly result in anything for SA. The ref also called an incorrect forward pass against Aus aswell, when Cooper passed it into a SA player.

The other obvious thing missed by Lawrence, was the high tackle and choke hold on du Plessis towards the end. Certain penalty offence, that could have changed the outcome.

It's certainly not just Lawrence's fault, but a combination of the three referees on duty, Lawrence and the two touch judges. After all, most forward passes are picked up by the linesmen, not the ref's.

Unless Aus can pick their game up, I can't see them beating NZ, even if NZ weren't totally dominant against Argentina.

Sums up my thoughts on the refs performance perfectly. I initially thought the pass in South Africa's disallowed try was forward (so much so that I yelled out 'forward' in my living room... even though I was the only one there!), but watching it on replay it was very difficult to tell whether it was 'flat' or slightly forward.

Overall quite an interesting game. I thought South Africa were unlucky not win, as they dominated much of match. It was only some great Australian defense, and some outstanding work at the breakdown by Pocock that really kept Australia in the game. South Africa had an edge at the scrum, and completely dominated at the lineout - I've never seen Australia so badly beaten at the lineout. Though they were poor at the lineout, I thought both Horwill and Vickermann had strong games around the field. Elsom and Samo made plenty of tackles, but the star of the show was undoubtedly David Pocock. Once Brussow went of injured Pocock completely dominated at the breakdown - as an AB's supporter I'm really worried he is going to destroy us at the breakdown next weekend.

I thought Genia play reasonably well, but Quade Cooper was poor again. He made a number of errors, his defense on the wing was poor, and he didn't really control the game. Australia are clearly committed to starting him at 10 - he is certainly capable of having a magic game, but he's really struggled this RWC. McCabe and AAC were strong in the midfield, though Barnes made a good impact when he came on. McCabe looked to be suffering a shoulder injury for much of the game - I wonder whether he will be fit enough to start against the AB's. If he is out it would be good news for the AB's, as the Aussie midfield is basically impenetrable with him at 12. Beale, O'Connor and Ioane were pretty quiet, but they did their jobs pretty well.

For South Africa I thought Steenkamp was probably the pick of the forwards; he was impressive in the scrum, and made plenty of good runs with the ball in hand. His propping partner du Plessis was was strong in the scrum, but his defense was shocking - he ended up making fewer tackles than he missed! Matfield had a strong game (particularly at the lineout). Burger had a huge work-rate - he made more runs and tackles than any other South African player - but South Africa did get dominated at the breakdown. Burger also made a brilliant try saving tackle on Stephen Moore after Beale's big break.

du Preez and Steyn controlled the game well, but their lack of creativity meant they were unable to convert their dominance into points. I thought de Villiers was the most dangerous of the South African backline, while I didn't even notice Fourie was playing till the end. Lambie again looked secure at fullback, and Hougaard made a good impact (as always) when he came on - I really thought he should have replaced du Preez at halfback though.

Pathetic squealing from most posters here who cannot contain their anti-Aussie bias. That's four wins in succession against the Boks-the ref won all of them? Kurtley Beale was almost decapitated against Ireland and Bryce

Grow up sad losers. Give credit to a wonderful display of heart in defence. Most posters here wrote off Australia before the game and struggle to give them credit now. Teams don't win 2 World Cups by giving up.

Good game Australia. Really enjoyed this bruising encounter. Pocock is the best fetcher thus far along with S.Burger/Brussow. After watching the all blacks play last night i don't think McCaw has still got the ability to match Pocock at this stage. So well done Australia on beating the world champions. My pick is Australia and Wales final.

Didn't see Australia and South Africa but have to admit the result was a suprise. Heard South Africa dominated.

I won't give Australia credit for playing well on defence cos it wasn't always that solid, but I will give them credit for playing to the Ref,where maybe SA should have done aswell! Its just sad that Refree's can determine the outcomes of matches in rugby, if only we could neutralise them!

Refs are just another variable, the best teams and coaches adapt.

The inability to convert that much territory, dominance and possession into tries cost SA the game and it's not like it wasn't an issue coming into the WC.

Good game Australia. Really enjoyed this bruising encounter. Pocock is the best fetcher thus far along with S.Burger/Brussow. After watching the all blacks play last night i don't think McCaw has still got the ability to match Pocock at this stage. So well done Australia on beating the world champions. My pick is Australia and Wales final.

i've bet all my friends that final since the knockout started, wales should beat france if they keep their workrate up and australia (cooper) needs to snap, it's at this stage where australia should shine

massive effort from mccabe, he certainly silenced all the haters with that effort. he came off looking like a badly beaten cage fighter.

Pathetic squealing from most posters here who cannot contain their anti-Aussie bias. That's four wins in succession against the Boks-the ref won all of them? Kurtley Beale was almost decapitated against Ireland and Bryce

Grow up sad losers. Give credit to a wonderful display of heart in defence. Most posters here wrote off Australia before the game and struggle to give them credit now. Teams don't win 2 World Cups by giving up.

I'm a neutral so have no allegiance either way. The 'wonderful display of heart on defence' was helped immeasurably by the ref allowing all sorts of slowing down of the ball, meaning their defence was able to recover far better than they would've if they couldn't get away with killing the ball. The ref wasn't biased, he was just awful. Since SA made all the play, they suffered more occurances of him not pinging the defensive team for killing the ball.

I don't think it's possible for a Kiwi to watch Australia play and be 100% neutral :p

I don't think it's possible for a Kiwi to watch Australia play and be 100% neutral :p

LIES!!!!.... lol

I don't know what the hell the Boks were doing. They were doing midfield crashes but there was no one in support of the man in possession. Whoever caught the ball and went for the hit-up/crash ball, went alone and that's where they lost the game for me.

Bryce Lawrence can go suck on a bunch of baby d*cks!!!

3q3nsbl3.rau.gif

Amazing that we can go from conceding three tries to Russia to none against the Springboks. As the old adage goes, defence wins world cups.

S.A Played well but were not good enough to convert their chances into points. Australia's defence and the pressure they put on SA at the Breakdowns was lethal. The turning point for SA was Brussow's departure. Also Samoa taking out Frans Steyn proved a killer as he would've easily slotted in those penalty kicks. At the end of the day Defense wins games - Australia won fair and square. Bring on the semi's woooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooo.

Amazing that we can go from conceding three tries to Russia to none against the Springboks. As the old adage goes, defence wins world cups.

Defence helped by the ref letting the defending team (both ways) slow the ball down to a snail's pace, thus killing any momentum the attacking team had and allowing the defenders to regroup.. am I the only one who saw this as a huge help to the defending sides in this game?!

Defence helped by the ref letting the defending team (both ways) slow the ball down to a snail's pace, thus killing any momentum the attacking team had and allowing the defenders to regroup.. am I the only one who saw this as a huge help to the defending sides in this game?!

Nope. You, and every other neutral or Springbok fan saw this. Only the Australians didn't, and because we were attacking for 90% of the match, we were affected a hundred times more than the Wallacheats. When Robbie Deans praised his team for 'character and coming of age', I wanted to throw up.

Wait.. Am i missing something?

The South Africans are complaining about the Ref?

Latest posts