• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 2 - Farrel vs. The Internet (26/09/2019)

A bit, studied to age 19 and keep it up when I can. I couldn't get a job in a Spanish-speaking country but I'm OK in a social situation as long as people sometimes repeat themselves.

Broma is the word I'd use for joke. I think of joder as f—-, didn't know it had so many other uses, that might be because I mainly learned español de españa? I have heard the expression no me jodas, which is like "don't take the ****" or "don't treat me like an idiot" or similar doesn't it?
yes!
it could be that.: don't fool around, don't bother, or be serious. or don't lie to me.
this would work in Argentina (specially buenos aires) but probably not in Spain. or say Bolivia. Spanish changes a lot depending where you go. to the point of things meaning the opposite. in Argentina alone you can find like 5 different accents. could be tough to foreigners.

I don't know Spanish accents too well, but I do know the "Argentinian" accent (I think I mean the BA one) is one of the two must difficult to understand - they sound drunk the whole time! The other difficult one for me is Andalusia where they don't pronounce half the consonants, easiest are Colombia and "classic" Spanish from Spain, Madrid/Castilla-Leon. I think you'd call it "Castellano"?

Britain's the same though, the number of different accents in such a small country is mental. Look at Manchester and Liverpool on a map, they're only about 50km apart but they have COMPLETELY different accents, no one brought up in England could fail to distinguish them. Not only that but smaller places like Warrington and Bolton which are between the two cities have their OWN accents, related but distinctive.

I don't know Spanish accents too well, but I do know the "Argentinian" accent (I think I mean the BA one) is one of the two must difficult to understand - they sound drunk the whole time! The other difficult one for me is Andalusia where they don't pronounce half the consonants, easiest are Colombia and "classic" Spanish from Spain, Madrid/Castilla-Leon. I think you'd call it "Castellano"?

Britain's the same though, the number of different accents in such a small country is mental. Look at Manchester and Liverpool on a map, they're only about 50km apart but they have COMPLETELY different accents, no one brought up in England could fail to distinguish them. Not only that but smaller places like Warrington and Bolton which are between the two cities have their OWN accents, related but distinctive.
well yes it is difficult specially if you learned Spanish from Spain our pronunciation is more Italianish and we speak fast! we also curse a lot. and the voseo use the arcaic vos instead of tu ( I'll change all the verbs) tu tienes vs vos tenés. finally we use lots of indigenous words.
yes Colombians Bragg about their pristine accent. IMO it's bs. (question would be witch Colombian. try to understand paisa. ( from medellin they olso use vos)
every accent is OK to me they reflect the culture and history of each country.or region.
I can recognize a few English accents like England vs American scots and Irish are the toughest to understand. new Zeland and aussi are difficult too. SA was pretty good (lots of accents in there too) (was there recently ) but the easyest is American just cos I'm used to it and we are more influenced by them here or international English people how have English as a second language
I can certenly recognize the southern American. funny thing is most of Spanish speakers would not be able to recognize many of the other nations accents. for instance central America is a mystery to me. "Puelto lico" or Cuba I can tell Panama? nope
Andalucia is funNY they remove the last consonant " dedo ( finger) would be deo)

Last edited:
Ugh. I knew as soon as it was Farrell the reaction would be like this, it's intensely hypocritical and an absolutely septic response.

Farrell is my favourite English player so take whatever biases you can out of that but he wasn't hitting like that maliciously and to be honest I doubt Quill was yesterday either. Any player intentionally doing **** like that is disgusting but equally all players know it could just as easily be them on the receiving end so there's more than rules stopping them.

It's not surprising that all of the hits that this thread relates to (Farrell's and Quill's) were at the end of a full half of international rugby, they're knackered and sloppy and get extremely reckless as a result.

To be fair, this was bound to happen. And I was one of the guys to predict that it will happen at this World Cup in regard to Farrell getting a high hit.

But can you really blame the people for responding the way they are. Humour no matter how tasteless or boring to some, is a way to heal wounds, whether it's superficial or not.

One part of me says it's justice served. Another says that no player should be the victim of such a hit. Another part says that I hope Farrell and every other guy that tackles like this, never has to live with being the cause to end another player's career or life for that matter.

I love the rugby memes. Even when my team is on the receiving end of it. So I guess we all just need to bare this, and wait for the limited sensation to pass...

To be fair, this was bound to happen. And I was one of the guys to predict that it will happen at this World Cup in regard to Farrell getting a high hit.

But can you really blame the people for responding the way they are. Humour no matter how tasteless or boring to some, is a way to heal wounds, whether it's superficial or not.

One part of me says it's justice served. Another says that no player should be the victim of such a hit. Another part says that I hope Farrell and every other guy that tackles like this, never has to live with being the cause to end another player's career or life for that matter.

I love the rugby memes. Even when my team is on the receiving end of it. So I guess we all just need to bare this, and wait for the limited sensation to pass...
It was more the tweets in the article I was responding to. Particularly the ones saying or implying he deserves it, I'm not really an eye for an eye person. And as has been pointed out Quill's and Farrell's tackles aren't comparable in the slightest.

When i saw the tackle i instantly said that's a red card, but when i saw it was Farrell i couldn't stop myself from having a little giggle whilst also thinking "ouch".

Latest posts