• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool C] Round 4 - England vs. France (12/10/2019) *MATCH CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER*

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
Hc45KkY.png

Venue: International Stadium Yokohama
Time: 10:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

So are either team bothering to put up full sides? It's a dead rubber and arguably either side of draw is just as difficult from a Group C point of view.

I'd like us to win and winning mentality and all. But I'd rather we didn't bust a gut trying to lay down a marker or something against Tier 1 sides.

So are either team bothering to put up full sides? It's a dead rubber and arguably either side of draw is just as difficult from a Group C point of view.

I'd like us to win and winning mentality and all. But I'd rather we didn't bust a gut trying to lay down a marker or something against Tier 1 sides.

I still think you should play the A team and try win it. Although from a NZ point of view I'd much rather France was on our side of the draw than England!

I can't imagine anything other than both top sides and an England win.

It's not a dead rubber at all. Yes both teams have qualified, but it will decide who tops the group.

From an England point of view, we've played Tonga, USA and a 14-man Argentina. We need a tougher game in order to get us ready for a QF against Australia or Wales.

The French slumps in the Wales, Argentina and Tonga matches this year beggar belief. Brunel gets them out there, firing on all cylinders and they start to tail off significantly at around 30mins with handling areas and general disinterest. Then they come out in the second half having gone from world beaters to amateurs. It is making my brain melt watching them.

Are they just horrifically unfit? It wasnt even apparently so warm and muggy today against Tonga. One of the ex-pros on the TV broadcast in France's first game (Paul O'Connol I think) said he considered his time in thr Top14 as a bit of a holiday camp in that training was not that intense, but how can conditioning be so bad that you are blowing out your backside after 30mins?

England should be really gunning for a matchup with that Wallaby pack and topping the group.

I think it might depend more on potential injuries that any tactical considerations. No.8 will be interesting; Billy took a knock, Wilson is injured to an unknown extent. Is that Ludlam at 8 in the worst case scenario, then?

If they're all fit, I'd like to see Mako, Wilson, and Nowell start. I'd imagine Eddie would go Mako Billy, so Wilson would prob be 6 in that case. I certainly wouldn't think of it as the second string, though!

I'd be much more confident in a quarter final against Australia than against Wales. Since that's added on to the value of keeping our winning streak, this is a big game.

We will probably have to beat NZ in either the semi or the final to win the tournament, which is which doesn't really matter a lot.

Last edited:
Injuries aside, I'd suggest the same team as I suggested for yesterday.

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Kris
6. Ludlam
7. Underhill
8. Wilson

9. Heinz
10. Ford
11. May
12. Tuilagi
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Watson

16. Cowan-Dickie, 17. MVunipola, 18. Cole, 19. Lawes, 20. Curry
21. Youngs, 22. Slade, 23. Daly

Rationale:
Mako would start IF he'd had more gametime yesterday
Marler needs a rest, especially after picking up a knock. QF is more important for him than this dead rubber.
I so wish we had a better option than Cole, ideally a 3rd THP in Japan (only ever needed 2 of Slade, Francis, Nowell and McConnochie)
Curry has played 240 minutes in 3 matches so far. My instinct is to start and aim to replace him, butnid rather not risk him having to play another 80.
Billy still needs a rocket, and possibly a rest; as mentioned above, a ****le gives a public excuse (as does rotation TBH)

Heinz is simply playing better than Young's
Farrell needs a rocket based on the RWC so far, and after yesterday, needs to go through RTP protocols. Again, the QF is more important for him than a dead rubber.
As ever, I wish Slade had 50 club matches at IC under his belt. At least Manu has been training there for England for the last year or so. Francis simply isn't one of our top 4 centres and shouldn't even be at the RWC
Nowell did enough to overtake Coka
Harsh to put Daly to the bench after his first good game at FB, but... he's still not a FB, and it's be even harsher to drop Watson. He and Curry are our only players to have played every minute so far.

Other than resting Curry I don't really agree with any of that.

I actually think we have a better chance against Aus, and France have a better chance against Wales.

Hope to see both teams put out a first 15 though.

Id go,
Mako
George
Sinks
Itoje
Kruis
Underhill
Ludlam
Wilson
Heinz
Ford
Watson
Manu
Slade
Nowell
Daly

LCD
Genge
Cole
Lawes
Billy/Curry
Youngs
JJ
Big Joe

Class players coming back from injuries but need gametime, if we have to change earlier than normal fine but if they are doing well they can stay on for 60 even 80, it rests QF starters while getting them much needed gametime in the one game where a **** up means we still get to the QF. Still think that 23 is strong and can beat france.

No faz, ford plays 80. Risk but oh well give faz a break. JJ inclase slade has to come off earlier and same for Joe with nowell.

I actually think we have a better chance against Aus, and France have a better chance against Wales.

Hope to see both teams put out a first 15 though.

That's my take. Win the group. It's a tough qf but would rather face Australia. I think France have a better chance vs Wales too

Dont want them raising their game too much ;);)

Launch hasn't been mentioned in anyones matchday 23 so far?
Is he out of the frame like Francis and McConnachie for the rest of the tournement, injuries aside ?

I'd put him on the bench at least for the French game. After that, there are only 3 games left.

Crazy that a player of Launchbury's quality might not play again for the rest of the tournament. Nice to have that strength in depth at lock.

Launchbury reminding me of when Shaw was behind the likes of Johnson and Kay and couldn't get a game as Corry was the player on the bench covering lock and backrow.

We're fortunate to have four top class locks. Itoje and Kruis are the first choice combo and while I'd rate Launch as the better starter, Lawes is a better impact sub so gets the 19 shirt.

I'd be happy enough with Launch and Lawes starting against France, but generally I think we should be playing more or less or strongest side.

disagree, both sides will want to win this, England will want to play the Aussies, don't think any of them would prefer Wales.

We are so tipically french this year, that everything's possible for this match.

disagree, both sides will want to win this, England will want to play the Aussies, don't think any of them would prefer Wales.
Yes but after Wales/Aus you liekly have the prospect of SA or NZ. Reality is the route to the final is potentially a little easier on the other side.

Yes but after Wales/Aus you liekly have the prospect of SA or NZ. Reality is the route to the final is potentially a little easier on the other side.
to win the WC you still have to beat every one does it really matter in which order.

to win the WC you still have to beat every one does it really matter in which order.
This is true but you only have to beat who you play. Someone else could potentially take NZ out before the final. Also being in best condition for the final is important.

Would you prefer to play NZ then the Saffers or the other way around as an example.

It's one of those things I don't think either side would be terribly worried about a loss. Especially if they were worked up about winning in the first place.

Latest posts