• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool D] Round 1 - Australia vs. Fiji (21/09/2019)

Morning all, been watching but can't multitask this early. Can we get a reeee cultural appropriation for the dancing Australian Samurai?

Been another good game this, what's up with Lealiifano though? Last couple of games he's not played as well as we know he can.

Morning all, been watching but can't multitask this early. Can we get a reeee cultural appropriation for the dancing Australian Samurai?

Been another good game this, what's up with Lealiifano though? Last couple of games he's not played as well as we know he can.

He took a big old shot early, followed by another biggish one a couple of minutes after he got up... it could've got to him.

Fiji played well, but their set piece outside of lineout steals is atrocious. Real vulnerability that Australia figured out how to exploit.

Australia still don't look like genuine contenders. Too many mistakes and against a better team they would have struggled.

Two things if got from this game;

The rolling maul needs looking at, once set up its pretty much instant penalty or try.

If you commit a high tackle as a tier 1 nation you get away with it even if it causes a hia replacement....

Boring rugby wins again

Gutted for Fiji but credit to Australia, that is a big result for them... even bigger than the win, the overcoming adversity.

Big performances by Latu, Hooper and Hodge. Genia, Korobiete and O'Conor were more than decent too.

The rolling maul needs looking at, once set up its pretty much instant penalty or try.
Think it's not that big a problem it's potent but Fiji got called for some pull downs other teams would of got away with.

That was disappointing Fiji didn't get the run of the green but they certainly were blow away in the last 30.

As much as I was wanting a Fiji win, I did put a bet on Australia -14 so those last few minutes were nervy (after I'd written it off at half time)

If you commit a high tackle as a tier 1 nation you get away with it even if it causes a hia replacement....

Boring rugby wins again
Hope for more upsets during this RWC ;)

Think it's not that big a problem it's potent but Fiji got called for some pull downs other teams would of got away with.

That was disappointing Fiji didn't get the run of the green but they certainly were blow away in the last 30.

I can bet you by the end of the tournament the majority of tries will be kick to the corner rolling mauls. Refs dont enforce joining procedure. So in a instant the ball is a the back.

Oh and if not going forward, roll sideways...

If they just made it so the maul has to push straight. It would be more defendable

Boring rugby wins again
Part of the checks and balances that makes rugby union an interesting game. Otherwise it would be like rugby league.

I can bet you by the end of the tournament the majority of tries will be kick to the corner rolling mauls. Refs dont enforce joining procedure. So in a instant the ball is a the back.

Oh and if not going forward, roll sideways...

If they just made it so the maul has to push straight. It would be more defendable
Eh the rolling mail has always been a weapon and was neutered immensely post 2003.

I think you might be overreacting considering its the 2nd match and one ref interpretation.

Eh the rolling mail has always been a weapon and was neutered immensely post 2003.

I think you might be overreacting considering its the 2nd match and one ref interpretation.

Go watch any professional game, Exeter pretty much only score from rolling mails.

Boring rugby is what the refs want

He took a big old shot early, followed by another biggish one a couple of minutes after he got up... it could've got to him.
Maybe, that rib tickler was a beauty.

Can't believe we've got people complaining about mauls already, it's not like there was a contest there and Oz were undefendable. Really Fiji just didn't have a clue how to compete at them so we can't make an assessment like that just yet. Should we bin off scrums too as there was no contest there either?

Boring rugby wins again
That Hodge tackle was 100% red for mine. No attempt to wrap. Shoulder to head contact. He'll be out for weeks.

Fiji were amazing. I knew they wouldn't beat us but boy was I nervous half way through.

Latest posts