• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Saracens taking Heineken Cup pool match to Belgium

Nielsch

Bench Player
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
England

I think it's a good move. Belgium rugby is on the rise and I'm sure a lot of French and English will make the trip. I actually went to the last Heineken Cup match that was supposed to be played in the same stadium in Brussels (Stade Français - Ulster Rugby), only to find out it had been cancelled. Only now I read that they had already sold over 30,000 tickets. I'm sure Sarries and Metro will sell even more.

I think that it is a disgraceful move!

They tried this, and luckily failed, last season in CAPE TOWN for God's sake....this competition is the best in the world and every hard core supporter wants to see their team in the competition playing the best sides in their home stadia and many, many supporters have saved for their, or even their family's, season ticket which includes the right to these games.

To increase pro rata the cost of all other games (by not then holding a match that has been included) and adding travel expenses is indecent and a fraud against their base supporters! If they want to play abroad, go and play there but be honest in what you are doing...admit that you care not a toss about your supporters and do not sell season tickets.

Saracens are a soulless bunch of mercenaries, I'm in no way surprised they'd play a home Heineken Cup game in Belgium of all places.

They tried this, and luckily failed, last season in CAPE TOWN for God's sake....this competition is the best in the world and every hard core supporter wants to see their team in the competition playing the best sides in their home stadia and many, many supporters have saved for their, or even their family's, season ticket which includes the right to these games.

To increase pro rata the cost of all other games (by not then holding a match that has been included) and adding travel expenses is indecent and a fraud against their base supporters! If they want to play abroad, go and play there but be honest in what you are doing...admit that you care not a toss about your supporters and do not sell season tickets.

although I am a fan of neither of these clubs and I agree that it is ripping off the home supporters as you have said ....... but I happen to be going to Belgium 2 days prior and thus I will most likely be going to the game.... all arguments are now irrelevant ;)

They got around 11,000 to the quater final against Clermont last season (at the 18,000 seater Vicarage Road). Against Racing Metro i'd be surprised if they could get 5,000.

Just so you know, they don't have a home stadium this year, they've effectively been kicked out of Vicarage Road. So they are moving their games around.

From the Saracens website
http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=7093
This match is not included in the 14-match season ticket currently on sale. However, 2012/13 season ticket holders will be offered premium seats at the Stade Roi Baudouin free of charge and the club will shortly announce a special offer of Eurostar return tickets from St Pancras to Brussels, facilitating an unforgettable rugby weekend in a great city.

Why don't read up a little before you start complaining. That's a good chap

Last edited:
A bit harsh don't you think

Not really. Imagine being a Saracens supporters at the moment. One of your 'home games' will be played in Belgium, another 'home match' against one of your top end rivals, Northampton, will be played in Milton Keynes, right in the Saints' back yard. Add to this the other 'home' fixtures Saracens will be playing at Wembley, Twickenham and, as rumoured, one 'oop North and it hardly rewards loyal supporters for their efforts does it?

Saracens used to be a decent club other supporters could respect. Now they are just seen as a bit of a joke. They need to cut the gimmicks and PR stunts and try concentrating on actually developing the ethos of a settled rugby club. Their money men clearly want to be a Leicester, Northampton or Gloucester in terms of support and heritage, and while having their own stadium in Barnet will be a fantastic move for them, they need to manage the image the club has better if they want to be more than a flash in the pan.

They need to cut the gimmicks and PR stunts and try concentrating on actually developing the ethos of a settled rugby club.

I'm sure they will once their permanent stadium in London is completed. However, from now until February 2013 they have chosen a nomadic life and rightly so. There's no need for them to invest in Watford ties anymore since they'll be gone with six months or so. They're playing a few matches in London; a highly rational choice taking into account they will move their at the beginning of 2013. Some matches will be played somewhere else. So be it.

I don't know why people are criticising Saracens. They're one of the most pro active clubs in terms of expanding the brand and bringing a game to Belgium is a great idea.

Crusaders brought a super rugby game to London last season.

I don't know why people are criticising Saracens. They're one of the most pro active clubs in terms of expanding the brand and bringing a game to Belgium is a great idea.

That's my take on it

"From the Saracens website
http://www.saracens.com/news/view.php?Id=7093

This match is not included in the 14-match season ticket currently on sale. However, 2012/13 season ticket holders will be offered premium seats at the Stade Roi Baudouin free of charge and the club will shortly announce a special offer of Eurostar return tickets from St Pancras to Brussels, facilitating an unforgettable rugby weekend in a great city.

Why don't read up a little before you start complaining. That's a good chap"

Patronising or what? This may be the case this season for Saracens but was not the case with the proposed move to Cape Town! Saracens have stated that they are keen to play more games abroad and my general complaint is still valid and I hold to it.....it is not fair on their supporters for clubs to take games to other Countries making the true supporter pay even more in travel expenses to support their team!

Oh FFS are people still going on about that proposed Cape Town move?

I'm sure they will once their permanent stadium in London is completed. However, from now until February 2013 they have chosen a nomadic life and rightly so. There's no need for them to invest in Watford ties anymore since they'll be gone with six months or so. They're playing a few matches in London; a highly rational choice taking into account they will move their at the beginning of 2013. Some matches will be played somewhere else. So be it.

It's possible. Given their choices to date though, I find it unlikely. I agree the moving stadia until Barnet is ready is a right thing to do - in general however, I don't trust them to stick to Copthall/big London stadium religiously once that goes through.

Because Saracens' idea of brand expansion seems to involve ignoring those who faithfully support them. It might be good business, but it stinks.

And, y'know, Crusaders did that because an earthquake had levelled their stadium.

Playing in Belgium is not the worse idea in the world, but it's still not fantastically easy for supporters to get to. It's **** like this that leaves me very cold to the idea of supporting Saracens, despite the fact they will soon be the easiest Premiership club for me to reach.

Not investing money in Watford is fine - might have been nice to actually thank the support base that has stuck with them by actually making matches in the first half of the season accessible to them, rather than expecting them to trapse all over the country to watch their team play at 'home'.

By gimmicks and stunts I refer to acts such as handing out free tickets, travel and booze to local football thugs, who then go and cause trouble at other clubs' grounds because Saracens can't sell their away allocation. If Saracens spent more time developing a proper support base for themselves, rather than trying to knock the setup of rival clubs, they might manage more than 11,000 fans for one of the biggest games in their history.

I agree with a lot of this. Saracens home gates are pathetic for a relatively successful club. They're right for doing all they can to increase revenue streams. If playing "home" games to Belgium or the USA (as has been rumoured) gives them first mover advantage and mobilises a support base in those countries, it's a very smart decision. It's not hugely different to Premier League clubs playing pre-season games in Asia because that's a massive potential growth market.

Or NFL teams playing actual competition matches at Wembley.

Yeah, not wildly fond of either, for that matter. I can stomach pre-season tours, as that's a bit different.

Snoop, what do you think's more important - a support base in your home city, or a support base in another country?

I agree with a lot of this. Saracens home gates are pathetic for a relatively successful club. They're right for doing all they can to increase revenue streams. If playing "home" games to Belgium or the USA (as has been rumoured) gives them first mover advantage and mobilises a support base in those countries, it's a very smart decision. It's not hugely different to Premier League clubs playing pre-season games in Asia because that's a massive potential growth market.

You're a Saracens season ticket holder. You've put up with having to play your rugby in Watford for the last 14 years, despite supposedly being from St. Albans. You've put up with numerous games being moved to Wembley where the atmosphere has been abject and you're putting up with the team essentially going on tour for the first half of the season because they have no real home ground. You're guaranteed 3 home games this season against European competition. Oh wait, no you're not, they've decided to go and move the game across the sea to Belgium. Hooray.

In my eyes Saracens are one of the worst clubs in professional rugby. The have absolutely no regard for their fans and seem intent on selling themselves for the quick buck at every opportunity. If Leinster started behaving the way Saracens do I'd have to think very hard about continuing to support them.

You're a Saracens season ticket holder. You've put up with having to play your rugby in Watford for the last 14 years, despite supposedly being from St. Albans. You've put up with numerous games being moved to Wembley where the atmosphere has been abject and you're putting up with the team essentially going on tour for the first half of the season because they have no real home ground. You're guaranteed 3 home games this season against European competition. Oh wait, no you're not, they've decided to go and move the game across the sea to Belgium. Hooray.

In my eyes Saracens are one of the worst clubs in professional rugby. The have absolutely no regard for their fans and seem intent on selling themselves for the quick buck at every opportunity. If Leinster started behaving the way Saracens do I'd have to think very hard about continuing to support them.

Hear Hear!!

Latest posts