• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Teams capable of winning the 2013 Heineken Cup

I can see the truth in that. This said, winning away to Munster and Toulouse proves they can do a tough job on the european stage. But I'd probably agree, they somewhat ambushed those teams, Munster in particular, whereas I can imagine them finding it harder in advanced knockout stages.

As I've said, Quins are the only 'top' english side who I think definitely will keep improving, but at the same time they're one of the only English sides who will depend to such an extent on a couple of key players; losing Care and Evans would be a huge step back for them, whereas Saracens and Tigers have the depth to at least cope with losses like that.

You're right that Quins depend on Care and Evans but see how much Saracens missed Brown and Burger... and how much better Leicester are with Youngs & Flood fit and on form... all English clubs depend on a few players, some more than you think!

Surely it's fairly obvious that 4 = loosehead lock and 5 = tighthead lock, as that's who they're behind?
It might not be a commonly used term, but it makes sense.

Yep. Joe Schmidt has said that he picks Damien Browne for games against big scrumaging teams because he's primarily a tighthead lock who'll add ballast to the scrum. Which has nothing to do with teams capable of winning the 2013 Heineken Cup.....

I think Ospreys mamde a big statement that they're primed for an assault of Europe after their deafeat of Leinster in the Pro 12 final last weekend. Personally, I'd love to see them drawn with Leinster in the pool stages.

Surely it's fairly obvious that 4 = loosehead lock and 5 = tighthead lock, as that's who they're behind?
It might not be a commonly used term, but it makes sense.

Actually thats not correct, the 4 will sit behind the TH generally as he is the better scrummer so it would be like this.

1. 2. 3.
5. 4.

Trust me i play lock and have done for quite some time. Never heard of us as being called a TH lock or a LH lock though. It was just usually one lump and one more mobile lineout operator.

Fair enough, it just doesn't seem to make sense seeing as the reason a tighthead is called a tighthead is because he is betweenn the two heads of the oppositon whereas the loosehead prop isn't. Surely the locks are in the exact same position but just one left and one right.

Actually thats not correct, the 4 will sit behind the TH generally as he is the better scrummer so it would be like this.

1. 2. 3.
5. 4.

Trust me i play lock and have done for quite some time. Never heard of us as being called a TH lock or a LH lock though. It was just usually one lump and one more mobile lineout operator.
That's...odd.
Why not just switch their shirts so that it reads
?
Do locks have different roles? I've always presumed that they had the same role around the park (though obviously playing to their strengthes etc. so Lawes would play differently to Gaskell, for example, but only in the same way that Jonathan Joseph is different to Tuilagi) and the numbers were just for where they go in the scrum.

I can see the truth in that. This said, winning away to Munster and Toulouse proves they can do a tough job on the european stage. But I'd probably agree, they somewhat ambushed those teams, Munster in particular, whereas I can imagine them finding it harder in advanced knockout stages.

As I've said, Quins are the only 'top' english side who I think definitely will keep improving, but at the same time they're one of the only English sides who will depend to such an extent on a couple of key players; losing Care and Evans would be a huge step back for them, whereas Saracens and Tigers have the depth to at least cope with losses like that.

They managed without Care for the quarter final against Northampton - and they'll be less dependent on Evans if their pack continues its upward trend and Clegg gets a bit better.

Its the same for most teams in big games anyways, Leinster got knocked out of the Heinekin in 2010 because they couldn't cope without Sexton against Toulouse etc etc. No team has the cover against another top class team to replace players like for like.

Latest posts