• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Wallabies - All Blacks @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (27-8-2011, 10:05GMT)

^ i see you were listening to that crazy biast aussie commentary the way they chirped on about the AB's being offside for a good couple of minutes was a disgrace. Teams have been defending like that for atleast the last 5 years or more. Nobody really goes back behind the last feet.

haha greg martin is hilarious, especially when he and phil kearns spat the dummy on air at eden park when the aussies were getting smashed

Well done Aussies. I've actually had money on ya to win the wc for months now, but the despite what doomsdayers are saying the ABs will be a better team for the loss last night.
The conditions in Brisbane are perfect for Aussies style of rugby and it's no coincidence that the only team that beat the Reds at Suncorp were another Aussie team. It will be a different story at 9pm on a dewey October Auckland evening. Players like Quade Cooper and Genia won't stand out as much and they'll be more emphasis on the forwards. Aussie scrum will be tested-even more so then last night- and that perfect first half the aussies had may be harder to achieve when a nice dewey rugby is thrown around. Anyone see the Reds go down to that excuse of a Hurricanes side in the super 15? Just shows ya how important home advantage is.
Lament me if you may, but i've heard a rumour through the grape vine that Sonny Bill and Dagg will play a bigger role in this world cup then some people may care to think. Maybe this is the reason why Henry downplayed their role in the team with his so-called first choice line up which we supposedly saw last night.

On any given night the ABs are beatable, but when it really comes down to it, all they have to do is beat South Africa in the semis, and Aussie (or England) in the final. That's two wins at Eden Park over two weeks. Hardly an impossible task given our track record on Eden Park. Just want to add that the other day I watched highlights of the Blues playing in the 96 and 97 super 12 playoffs under Graham Henry. They blasted their oppositions out of the park and looked near on unbeatable playing running rugby in front of a packed out Eden Park. Maybe all Henry has to do is look back over a decade ago to learn from the past.

Still it's all mental at the end of the day, and the best team always wins. If this AB team is all it cracks up to be, then players like Dan Carter and Ritchie Mccaw will go down as world cup winners. The best team and the best players step up in the big games, that's what I've always belived, and that's the reason why Michael Jordan was 6/6 in the NBA finals. I guess we shall see what happens in a moonths time.

Last edited:
The conditions in Brisbane are perfect for Aussies style of rugby and it's no coincidence that the only team that beat the Reds at Suncorp were another Aussie team. It will be a different story at 9pm on a dewey October Auckland evening.

It had literally been raining in Brisbane for the last two days

Lament me if you may, but i've heard a rumour through the grape vine that Sonny Bill and Dagg will play a bigger role in this world cup then some people may care to think. Maybe this is the reason why Henry downplayed their role in the team with his so-called first choice line up which we supposedly saw last night.

Care to elaborate?

Guildford played like a man who knew the whole of NZ was waiting for him to stuff up so they could say 'I told you say' RE: Gear. He had a mare, but I don't think that means he can't improve. I will say, however, other than Nonu, who do we have that can break the line? My favourite part of Gear's game is his ability to get out of tackles when it seems impossible.

Also, thought Vito was the best man in a black jersey tonight. He was a monster on defence (although mainly unnoticed) and kept the error count down, which can't be said for many.

I think your Gear call is right on the money. You have Cory Jane, Zac Guildford, Mils Muliaina and Israel Dagg in the squad. Now I'd say Jane and Dagg both can break the line well, usually slipping through a gap, but why I think Hosea Gear would have fit in so well with the side, is that when he hits the gap hard, he's likely to break clean through. I even think Rokocoko fits in well in this role. I'm just left feelling that all our outside backs play a too similar game, where as in Australia you have James O'Connor, Kurley Beale and Drew Mitchell who are all very quick players, but you have Ioane who can hit the line hard and burn them that way. I just feel we need one big line breaking outside back.

I'm not going to criticise Guildford's game except to say that if Gear played that way in any of his games, he'd have been out in a heart beat.

So pleased Vito had a big game. If Kieran Read is out (and god I hope that isn't the case) I think Vito is the next best thing.

hahaha wat a win...watched it and enjoyed it...love watching the wallabies play when they're the underdog team...i reckon they play better

The weather kind of had a nzish feel to it yesterday didn't it

watching it from syd...suncorp looked the same as wen qld beat nsw..dark nd nightmarish lol..bloody queenslanders...after that wallaby win..we can fairly say...queensland shud be the sporting capital of australia...u guys got the rugby league SOO, union and A-league..

didnt really notice the weather..untill the commentators started talkn bout it

At least with this match our plan is coming together quite nicely. E V E R Y O N E is already talking about the WC final! NZ vs Aus. That's juuuuuuuuust the way we want it to be...

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

All this talk of crappy weather guarantee's that one of the home nations will win - I can't remember the last time it was sunny here :D

I think your Gear call is right on the money. You have Cory Jane, Zac Guildford, Mils Muliaina and Israel Dagg in the squad. Now I'd say Jane and Dagg both can break the line well, usually slipping through a gap, but why I think Hosea Gear would have fit in so well with the side, is that when he hits the gap hard, he's likely to break clean through. I even think Rokocoko fits in well in this role. I'm just left feelling that all our outside backs play a too similar game, where as in Australia you have James O'Connor, Kurley Beale and Drew Mitchell who are all very quick players, but you have Ioane who can hit the line hard and burn them that way. I just feel we need one big line breaking outside back.

I'm not going to criticise Guildford's game except to say that if Gear played that way in any of his games, he'd have been out in a heart beat.

So pleased Vito had a big game. If Kieran Read is out (and god I hope that isn't the case) I think Vito is the next best thing.

Or more, we need another big line breaker to take the pressure off of Nonu. Nonu wasn't **** last night, but he was well contained. I do agree that our outside backs do have too similar a game though... the three wisemen must have their reasons, but eh. There definitely needs to be someone else out there who can bust the line other than Nonu, otherwise it's just too easy to defend for the other team (not really considering Nonu's class, but you know what I mean). Yet Smith needs to be there, and so does Carter, so like you say, it needs to be coming out wide.

I do like Guildford for his work rate and steadiness, but when he loses those things, he has nothing and we get an error strewn performance like last night with no hope of a match winner, which someone like Gear is capable of.

All this talk of crappy weather guarantee's that one of the home nations will win - I can't remember the last time it was sunny here :D

The weather has been like mid summer in New Zealand for the last 2 weeks.

Sorry to burst your bubble:)

....then again perhaps England will bring the rain with them.

Well done Aussies. I've actually had money on ya to win the wc for months now, but the despite what doomsdayers are saying the ABs will be a better team for the loss last night.
The conditions in Brisbane are perfect for Aussies style of rugby and it's no coincidence that the only team that beat the Reds at Suncorp were another Aussie team. It will be a different story at 9pm on a dewey October Auckland evening. Players like Quade Cooper and Genia won't stand out as much and they'll be more emphasis on the forwards. Aussie scrum will be tested-even more so then last night- and that perfect first half the aussies had may be harder to achieve when a nice dewey rugby is thrown around. Anyone see the Reds go down to that excuse of a Hurricanes side in the super 15? Just shows ya how important home advantage is.

Dude, weather was Auckland like, lots of rain prior and then just stopped. Even the NZ commentary team in the buildup said so.

I hope the "bigger role" you indicate will be signing more Autographs and being in more Magazines during the RWC 2011.

Dagg is not the answer. And Sonny Bill's definitely not the midfield saviour. And if I watched correctly, there was nothing wrong with our midfield.

Quade Cooper is the biggest embarrassment of a person. How can you Ozzies like him? For starters he isn't even an Aussie then he pulls all sorts of stupid **** on the field like that crap on McCaw, he can never go toe to toe with someone it's always cheap crap off the ball. Add that to the fact he is a house burglar, what a complete ******** of a guy, can;t wait for the day someone gives him a hiding.

There is no doubt, ever since Hong Kong last year, that Cooper has been deliberately targeting McCaw, pansy slapping him just enough not to get penalised.

Cooper is a gutless mongrel who would not have the courage to go toe-to-toe in a real stouch with McCaw because he would get sat on his arse, so he resort to cowardly crap like knees to the head (and I don't care that the judiciary let him off, they were wrong; it was a wilful and deliberate act on his part).

There is no doubt, ever since Hong Kong last year, that Cooper has been deliberately targeting McCaw, pansy slapping him just enough not to get penalised.

Cooper is a gutless mongrel who would not have the courage to go toe-to-toe in a real stouch with McCaw because he would get sat on his arse, so he resort to cowardly crap like knees to the head (and I don't care that the judiciary let him off, they were wrong; it was a wilful and deliberate act on his part).

I agree with you in one way but then again, it's just a game, who cares?

Been saying for awhile Guildford isnt up to it. Out of the players available I think you Muliaina, Dagg, and Jane should be the back 3. Bring Kaino into start with Thompson or Vito covering on the bench. Ben Franks has to be on the bench instead of Afoa.

Had the All Blacks won I think it would of been a huge psychological advantage. Imagine how the Wallabies would have felt if they lost? playing the way they did. I think this lost will leave these All Blacks more prepared for whats ahead.

Cooper is KING, Gone with King Carlos and in with King Quade!
It is nice to see that Richie McCaw can get rattled. Just like players targeted Bakkies Botha to put him off his game the Ozzies are targeting McCaw. Brilliant..... this all started in the Super Rugby tourny.

All Black need to put SBW in their starting line-up. Not saying get rid of Nonu but imagine if you had both of them on the field at the same time. OMG! I would put Nonu on the ing where he has experience and SBW at inside centre. Imagine the Carter, SBW combo with Nonu on the outside to finish!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts