TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51082591_lineup_huw.jpg

The Wales squad have imposed a voluntary Twitter ban for their entire Six Nations Championship campaign.

Any player discovered posting tweets on the social networking site is warned they can expect a "substantial fine."

"As a group of players we have just decided to protect ourselves more than anything," said Wales centre and self-confessed tweeter Jamie Roberts.

"You can certainly make the headlines if you put something controversial up there, as... players have found out."

High-profile sportsmen have been forced to apologise or even fined following Twitter outbursts and revelations.

Former Liverpool striker Ryan Babel was fined £10,000 in January when he linked to a mocked-up picture of referee Howard Webb in a Manchester United shirt after Liverpool lost 1-0 at Old Trafford in the FA Cup.

Cricket star Kevin Pietersen and footballer Darren Bent have also been forced to apologise for rants on Twitter.

Wales centre Roberts himself tweeted his discontent of the Welsh Rugby Union using Gavin Henson on a poster promoting the launch of their new kit in 2010, despite Henson not having played for Wales for more than a year.

Roberts later deleted his original comment.

Wales team-mate Jonathan Thomas then found himself in trouble with the Welsh Rugby Union in 2010 after making a remark on Twitter about the sexuality of gay Welsh rugby referee Nigel Owens.

Thomas was forced to apologise but Owens laughed it off as just banter.

Roberts and Wales colleagues Shane Williams, Jonathan Thomas, Lee Byrne, Alun Wyn Jones, Josh Turnbull and George North are regular tweeters.

"It's just to look after ourselves and protect ourselves from any media flak as such," added British and Irish Lions star Roberts.

"We decided, as a group of players, to ban it during the campaign. It's not a huge issue. I'm sure the boys will live.

"I've missed it certainly. I just keep in touch with what everyone else is doing on there and not just go on there myself.

"There is a big fine if you write a post now, so the boys are watching each other. I can't disclose that fee, but it is quite substantial.

"I think the boys would be quite frustrated if any of us go on there and especially put anything controversial.

"We are just protecting ourselves as a group of players and as a union."

Wing Williams believes the self-imposed ban is the right thing to do.

"A lot of boys spend a lot of time on there whether it's just self-promotion or charity work," said the Lions star.

"But I think the Six Nations is all about concentrating on the rugby. I think it's quite a clever ban really.

"It means that we have more time to get on the computers, do some analysis, rather than go on and talk about your love life or what film you watched on the weekend.

"So I think it s a bit of the boys growing up and realising we have got a job of work to do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9385547.stm

Not going to lie but never heard when Jon Thomas offended Nigel Owens.

Also follow us for alternative game commentary for the 6 Nations games this year!

Good job Cai Griffiths isn't in the Welsh squad, he'd explode if he couldn't tweet "Gonna smash it up on COD after some nandos with DA BOIZ" every 30seconds

Last edited:
well gotta say, probably wise thing to do. No need for unwanted controversy i guess. Because there will be loads of things that individuals won't agree with (selection,refereeing etc) :p bring it on

No controversy... Until 4 of them are caught joining a ruck (or something similar) on Charlotte Church in the Cardiff Holiday Inn Express...

hahaha if that happens, that will be the best thing ever to happen to the welsh team :p thats an awesome headline for the wales on sunday after fridays game. hahaha Never know may give a certain mr H some motivation to play :p

No controversy... Until 4 of them are caught joining a ruck (or something similar) on Charlotte Church in the Cardiff Holiday Inn Express...

£10 cyRil will be on it like Sonic!

Latest posts