• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Will Lose Out To Sonny Bill Williams?

Bottom line is Im a big SBW fan and I wont him to do well. I do agree though that he hasnt really been a superstar player like he was in League and I havent really seen much of him in France like some of you's have. I dont really care if he doesnt do too well in his 1st ITM game but I'll feel let-down if he doesnt even come up with at least 1 big play in his 2 outings. CMON SONNY!!!

When you say big play, do you mean be extremely good or just come up with "moments".

He's certain to go in with an RL-style "big-hit" - otherwise known as an illegal shoulder charge - and he'll do so many speculative 1-handed offloads throughout the match that the law of averages means one is bound to eventually land in a linebreakers hand (regardless of how many before it have lead to turnovers or knock-ons).

SBW will be another of these players who by the media's standards can do no wrong, therefore New Zealand will finally succumb like every other nation before them to selecting players for the hype instead of the merit. Then the slippery slope begins.

Also, to whoever it was that made the point earlier, this ******** about how it's more of an honour to be an All Black then any other nation is elitist, self-loving bullshit. You tell (eg.) a paddy or a taff that Ireland or Wales caps don't mean as much as ABs caps do, then they'll tell you where to stick your NZ-slanted opinion.

When you say big play, do you mean be extremely good or just come up with "moments".

He's certain to go in with an RL-style "big-hit" - otherwise known as an illegal shoulder charge - and he'll do so many speculative 1-handed offloads throughout the match that the law of averages means one is bound to eventually land in a linebreakers hand (regardless of how many before it have lead to turnovers or knock-ons).

SBW will be another of these players who by the media's standards can do no wrong, therefore New Zealand will finally succumb like every other nation before them to selecting players for the hype instead of the merit. Then the slippery slope begins.

Also, to whoever it was that made the point earlier, this ******** about how it's more of an honour to be an All Black then any other nation is elitist, self-loving bullshit. You tell (eg.) a paddy or a taff that Ireland or Wales caps don't mean as much as ABs caps do, then they'll tell you where to stick your NZ-slanted opinion.[/QUOTE]

The harm is that it undermines the value of the AB jersey. Many NH posters don't seem to understand what the jersey means, but it's pretty much the equivelant of giving somone like Danny Cipriani the Lions jersey over Jones, Wilkinson, O'Gara etc, and then the following season he goes to play football. Do you understand? No matter how talented he might been, and even if you won the Lions tour, the honour of playing for you nation should never be seen as a stepping stone for othger things, it should be the pinicle.

I think you are refering to my point, which came out a little bit wrong. It was focussed on one or two poster from the NH, who think SBW should be in the AB's without earning it, and that since professionalism, selections being made on media attraction and marketability have become a necessery evil. My point wasn't that the AB's were more important/special then any other international team, it was just that it is our equivalent to a Lions jersey in that it was the biggest honour a New Zealander can acheive in rugby, and that giving it to a player with a lot of hype but has not earned it, is wrong.

But let's face it, an All Blacks cap does mean more :p

Last edited:

Also, to whoever it was that made the point earlier, this ******** about how it's more of an honour to be an All Black then any other nation is elitist, self-loving bullshit. You tell (eg.) a paddy or a taff that Ireland or Wales caps don't mean as much as ABs caps do, then they'll tell you where to stick your NZ-slanted opinion.

Yeah moments of brilliance like some big hits (legit ones) or line break's preferably more those than off-loads.

I agree with you being an All Black is only a high honour only if your a kiwi rugby player but to say its a higher honour than any other jersey is non-sense.

Yeah moments of brilliance like some big hits (legit ones) or line break's preferably more those than off-loads.

I agree with you being an All Black is only a high honour only if your a kiwi rugby player but to say its a higher honour than any other jersey is non-sense.[/QUOTE]
Who said it was a higher honour!?
(short of the obvious joke at the end of my last post, which had a ":p" at the end.
And obviously the All Black jersey is only a high honour if your a kiwi rugby player...it would be just a confusing honour if you're an Australian rugby player.

OK, so Mr Fairhurst is a rugby player who has his own Wikipedia page, like a guzillion others. So what?

I see he played for Cornish Pirates (are they anything like Cornish Pasties?)

OK, so Mr Fairhurst is a rugby player who has his own Wikipedia page, like a guzillion others. So what?

I see he played for Cornish Pirates (are they anything like Cornish Pasties?)

Ed Fairhurst is Canada's finest export. He makes maple cyrup taste like sugary crap.

I think you are refering to my point, which came out a little bit wrong.
I understood your point, i think England fans are just desensitised to things like that happen, as we get players just handed starting spots for no reason other than they're from the SH (Vainikolo, Hape, Barrit, Flutey)

I've seen him play a few times over the past year and not seen a single clean line-break from him. His style is to carry the ball in one hand then act like an old-school crash-ball 12, only including the speculative offloads to separate him from Jamie Noon.

His defence also seems to be illegal hit or missed tackle, with nothing in between - If Wilkinson hadn't been demonstrating his usual lack of self preservation all season and hitting literally anything that moves, I doubt Toulon would have been so successful. This was demonstrated perfectly in the ECC final when Toulon were defensively as solid as they come until Wilkinson went off injured then almost immedeately Jamie Roberts began to dominate the midfield.

Last edited:
I understood your point, i think England fans are just desensitised to things like that happen, as we get players just handed starting spots for no reason other than they're from the SH (Vainikolo, Hape, Barrit, Flutey)
Thank you, I was getting nervous for a minute, as I'm not keen to look like another NZ elietest (which looking at a few of my posts, I can come off as a bit of a douche in that regard, which really isn't my intention).

Who said it was a higher honour!?
(short of the obvious joke at the end of my last post, which had a ":p" at the end.
And obviously the All Black jersey is only a high honour if your a kiwi rugby player...it would be just a confusing honour if you're an Australian rugby player.

Nick could you please read who I was talking to first, just read the posts ok. Damm I swear this guy comes looking for my posts probably hates us Samoans or somethin lol...

Nick could you please read who I was talking to first, just read the posts ok. Damm I swear this guy comes looking for my posts probably hates us Samoans or somethin lol...

First, I know you were responding to Bullit, who in a previous post said "who ever was the New Zealander..." etc. I was the person he was referring to in that post. So your comment was relevant to me, as it was my post Bullit was responding to.

To presume I hate Samoan's is an odd assumption to make, as the only person I am taking issue with is you, and that is because I think you're an ignorent twit who knows very little about rugby and who's opinions I have very little respect for. At first I just disagreed with most of your posts, but making xenophobic allegations is crossing the line.

He's still learning, all the criticisms from NH people seem to be that he seems unsure of what to do, he can learn that in NZ.
What do Nonu, Smith, Mcalister, Kahui, Toeava etc have in common?

Sorry but Sonny Bill aint gonna cut it. I know he's a big superstar and stuff but he's been playing Rugby overseas for Toulon and quite frankly he sucked. He's only played a single game of club Rugby in New Zealand and he doesn't really look the goods. I'm really hoping he proves me wrong in his first game for the Cantabs which would be when????

First, I know you were responding to Bullit, who in a previous post said "who ever was the New Zealander..." etc. I was the person he was referring to in that post. So your comment was relevant to me, as it was my post Bullit was responding to.

To presume I hate Samoan's is an odd assumption to make, as the only person I am taking issue with is you, and that is because I think you're an ignorent twit who knows very little about rugby and who's opinions I have very little respect for. At first I just disagreed with most of your posts, but making xenophobic allegations is crossing the line.

Do you want me to report you or do you want me to come to your house nick?....lol ignorant??? read my posts then read your posts and then decide whos ignorant. Your just negative nick your probably the most negative person on this forum, just chill more ok son lol

Do you want me to report you or do you want me to come to your house nick?....lol ignorant??? read my posts then read your posts and then decide whos ignorant. Your just negative nick your probably the most negative person on this forum, just chill more ok son lol
Report me over twit? I suggest you come to my house mate.

Latest posts