• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Test] Australia vs France (3rd Test)

Ok what will happen if Aus, NZ or ENG played one of these great club sides youre talking about? Will your side beat any of those 3 teams?..yeah thats right lol

Sorry but who cares...that aint going to happen!!

His post and your reply emphasises the idealogical differences between the French and SH as far as the importance of international rugby goes!

The French supporters are invested in their clubs which represent their towns and are at the heartbeat of their lives....International rugby is something the elitists in Paris pay a fortune to trip up to St Denis after a good dinner to watch! The rugby system is not a pyramid, as it is in NZ/SA where everyone tries to get to the top being the international game........I imagine the Wallabies are the pinnacle as the rugby under the international level there is no as competitive as most other countries due to the spread of too little talent over too many teams!

I too get more involved when my club is playing than any international game

No its clear cut. He is comparing club rugby in France or wherever to be as good as internationals. Just read post for what it says. Its right there.

The problem with France is the coach and not players or league. The talent is here, but PSA is not the coach who could get the best. Where is Trinc-Duc, why messing with scrum-halfs, Machenaud/Parra/Machenaud, Michalak is finished at this level and etc.

Ok what will happen if Aus, NZ or ENG played one of these great club sides youre talking about? Will your side beat any of those 3 teams?..yeah thats right lol

never said they would. You're addressing points I have never made. This will never happen so this is moot.

That is what he believes and in the main, I would agree with him for the excitement, the skill levels and, most of all, the overall team work!

There are many, many boring inconsequential international matches (last night Argies v gingertops was one) where players have had little playing time together and the game suffers.

This does not happen in French club rugby and the supporters there are more committed and involved in these games (than internationals) which makes even a boring club game more exciting to them if the win comes! BUT even these boring matches are far outnumbered by the really good ones!

No its clear cut. He is comparing club rugby in France or wherever to be as good as internationals. Just read post for what it says. Its right there.

Not what I said. Read again, slowly. I never said that anywhwere.

never said they would. You're addressing points I have never made. This will never happen so this is moot.

You said and I have proof that you feel that some clubs are as good as the French and Wallabies side. I can tell you now, your favourite club side will lose to the Wallies if they played. There is a clear difference in levels between top tier international and club sides. Just as the great Crusaders found out when they played England.

Will leave this one for you to continue and apologise for trying to say what you are thinking!!

He can say what he likes, hes entitled to that but if the others from this forum come across that theyd crack up. Super is probably the best rugby comp in the world but those sides cant beat Aus, NZ or SA.

well I wouldn't call the best of the best the rugby drudge I saw in the 2nd test. It was shockingly poor rugby from both sides. I've seen better games in Top 14 & H Cup here. Some of H Cup games I've seen are pretty close to test rugby.

So internationals arent the best of the best. Ok lol. Wallabies is not the best of the best, they play similar to H cup level, oookay.

You said and I have proof that you feel that some clubs are as good as the French and Wallabies side. I can tell you now, your favourite club side will lose to the Wallies if they played. There is a clear difference in levels between top tier international and club sides. Just as the great Crusaders found out when they played England.

yes I agree re. clear difference btw test rugby and club rugby standards. But this is not the point I made in any of my post today. And I never said any French club would beat the Wallabies (beat the current French side, yes, and that wouldn't be too difficult). I have not made any comment about the Wallabies, all my posts refer to French rugby. The games you're describing btw top tier nations and clubs won't happen so your point is moot.

I hope you understand I can't help with your reading difficulties.

well I wouldn't call the best of the best the rugby drudge I saw in the 2nd test. It was shockingly poor rugby from both sides. I've seen better games in Top 14 & H Cup here. Some of H Cup games I've seen are pretty close to test rugby.

Well it wasn't "Champaign rugby" by any stretch, but it was a game that reflected the cautious and intensely combative approaches taken by both teams. It was a little like watching the Rugby League State of Origin match a few days later - no where near as riveting as top class club games like last year's Grand Final, but it's played in a different environment and with players that have had less time together.

People bagged out that game last week, but I strangely found myself thinking better of it the more it went on - like Origin it was physically quite intense and very '****ly'. From an Aussie perspective, it was encouraging to see the Wallabies play a forward oriented game and win at it.

On the club v country thing more broadly, I think for most Australians at least we have a similar connection to our state/club teams that we do to the national one. The Reds pulled more fans than the Wallabies v France game in some of their matches this year and people are increasingly becoming more attached to their Super Rugby sides.

But yes, the Wallabies are always the top of the pyramid and the season builds toward them in a way that our other sports apart from maybe soccer don't. Rugby League has State Representative fanaticism with Origin, but the Kangaroos are just too talented and their competition too poor for people to get excited about, so it remains a club game for the most part and so does AFL.

Last edited:
yes I agree re. clear difference btw test rugby and club rugby standards. But this is not the point I made in any of my post today. And I never said any French club would beat the Wallabies (beat the current French side, yes, and that wouldn't be too difficult). I have not made any comment about the Wallabies, all my posts refer to French rugby. The games you're describing btw top tier nations and clubs won't happen so your point is moot.

I hope you understand I can't help with your reading difficulties.

Look you need to grow up. I called you mate to be nice and you replied offended. Obviously you've finally admitted there is a difference between Top 14/ H cup and internationals like RWC and 6 Nations etc..

Then you imply I can't read. So if I can't read how am I able to write? BOOM!

Just...grow up and stick to the debate not the 'you can't read but I can read what you're writing' lol

Some of H Cup games I've seen are pretty close to test rugby.

You heard it hear first team. NZ, SA and Aus test sides should be playing in the H cup cos it's pretty close isn't it FrenchFan?..

Last edited:
Well it wasn't "Champaign rugby" by any stretch, but it was a game that reflected the cautious and intensely combative approaches taken by both teams. It was a little like watching the Rugby League State of Origin match a few days later - no where near as riveting as top class club games like last year's Grand Final, but it's played in a different environment and with players that have had less time together.

People bagged out that game last week, but I strangely enjoyed it - like Origin it was physically quite intense and very '****ly'. From an Aussie perspective, it was encouraging to see the Wallabies play a forward oriented game and win at it.

On the club v country thing more broadly, I think for most Australians at least we have a similar connection to our state/club teams that we do to the national one. The Reds pulled more fans than the Wallabies v France game in some of their matches this year and people are increasingly becoming more attached to their Super Rugby sides.

Interesting. Top 14 and H Cup semis & final drew huge crowd here as well. All of these games were sold out.

Clubs here have been picking up all the slack from Intl rugby.

You heard it hear first team. NZ, SA and Aus should be playing in the H cup.

yes some of the top games in H Cup I've seen are pretty close to Test rugby intensity. Not quite up there but close enough. Certainly close to 6N anyway. But I bet you don't watch the H Cup in your country so that shoudn't bother you.

Look you need to grow up. I called you mate to be nice and you replied offended. Obviously you've finally admitted there is a difference between Top 14/ H cup and internationals like RWC and 6 Nations etc..

Then you imply I can't read. So if I can't read how am I able to write? BOOM!

Just...grow up and stick to the debate not the 'you can't read but I can read what you're writing' lol

But my initial post had nothing to do with your debate. You keep addressing points I have not made. I was reacting to your point when u said you were shocked that players put their clubs before country. And i just said there is nothing shocking about it. And explained why. Try read again maybe more slowly and let it sink in.

yes some of the top games in H Cup I've seen are pretty close to Test rugby intensity. Not quite up there but close enough. Certainly close to 6N anyway. But I bet you don't watch the H Cup in your country so that shoudn't bother you.

It's funny because NZ, SA and Aus play Super Rugby and you often hear the players say things like 'oh it's test match footy, a whole new level' things like that. That's what the PLAYERS are saying but if you've watched Rugby long enough you can just see the difference. I've seen top 14 and H cup and it's a great comp but it's just the same as Super.

Latest posts