• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Final: New Zealand vs. Australia (31/10/2015)

A study in NZ suggests some Kiwis may be secretly cheering for the Wallabies this weekend:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2015/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=11535904

It's probably accurate, 1/3 of Auckland would be 1st generation immigrants who have no interest in the game whatsoever.

... and people claim on this site that we are the only country where Rugby is our national sport so we have an advantage.

4.5 mill population- 1 mill at least people who have never heard of the sport (or some that even hate it!)

It's probably accurate, 1/3 of Auckland would be 1st generation immigrants who have no interest in the game whatsoever.

... and people claim on this site that we are the only country where Rugby is our national sport so we have an advantage.

4.5 mill population- 1 mill at least people who have never heard of the sport (or some that even hate it!)

An immigrant population who aren't enamored by their new country's national game doesn't actually make that game stop being national nor remove the advantages from such a status... Australia has a massive immigrant population, but that hasn't undermined the benefits we have in cricket from that sport's position as our only truly national game.

Lol

Thats a bit of an incorrect conclusion to make from the survey, 37% are perhaps over invested but that does not necessarily mean the other 63% dislike rugby or the all blacks they just have higher priorities.

It is also easy to lead people conducting a survey by the way you word the question or by having them rate something out of 10 and only having numbers higher then say 7 as showing interest, it slants the survey to indicate disinterest.

Then they make broad statements like "In both 2015 and 2011, people wrote that they would be 'secretly' pleased or would have to 'pretend to be sorry' if the All Blacks lost," she said. "And in 2011, some were accused of being traitors, unpatriotic or not true Kiwis for merely expressing a lack of interest." how many people 1, 2, 100 they don't say because they are looking for facts to back up a preconceived hypothesis rather then creating one from the facts a clear case of confirmation bias.

Finally a survey of 193 people are you F-ing kidding me, talk about a non-representative sample size to be making a claim the majority of New Zealanders don't like the All Blacks.

Last edited:
The Nzherald are professional Rugby Union trolls. They've been producing a number of unsubstantiated anti All Black material for a while now. One of the players must've taken off with the editors wife or something.

Australia have extraordinarily lucky. Lucky the host nation was the most undercooked host nation in the history of RWC. Lucky the Welsh team were so badly injured. Lucky the Scottish went brain-dead with 30 seconds to go. Lucky the Argentinians thought it was only a 60m field.

NZ had much bad luck. Bad luck to play in the group of death with fearsome teams like Namibia, Tonga or Georgia. Then the bad luck continued playing against the best French side in the last 50 years with Serge Blanco and others legends.

Why the World Rugby is so spiteful with them? They don't like the black colour or the sheeps? It's unfair for them

Last edited:
Thats a bit of an incorrect conclusion to make from the survey, 37% are perhaps over invested but that does not necessarily mean the other 63% dislike rugby or the all blacks they just have higher priorities.

It is also easy to lead people conducting a survey by the way you word the question or by having them rate something out of 10 and only having numbers higher then say 7 as showing interest, it slants the survey to indicate disinterest.

Then they make broad statements like "In both 2015 and 2011, people wrote that they would be 'secretly' pleased or would have to 'pretend to be sorry' if the All Blacks lost," she said. "And in 2011, some were accused of being traitors, unpatriotic or not true Kiwis for merely expressing a lack of interest." how many people 1, 2, 100 they don't say because they are looking for facts to back up a preconceived hypothesis rather then creating one from the facts a clear case of confirmation bias.

Finally a survey of 193 people are you F-ing kidding me, talk about a non-representative sample size to be making a claim the majority of New Zealanders don't like the All Blacks.

Good post.

Yeah the sample size is very small isnt it!! Particulalry in this day and age where the internet makes things like this so easy. My wife just completed some research based on a population that was very narrowly defined (I would safely say her target population was not even 0.01% of what presumably this study has) and she got more respondants than that!! To be honest I had to push my self to even bother reading the article after seeing how many people they had surveyed.

With that in mind I absolutely agree, the whole "In both 2015 and 2011, people wrote that they would be 'secretly' pleased or would have to 'pretend to be sorry' if the All Blacks lost," she said. "And in 2011, some were accused of being traitors, unpatriotic or not true Kiwis for merely expressing a lack of interest." as you say could simply be just coming from 1 or 2 respondants - who knows right?

That being said whilst I'm not sure this will go down to well on a rugby forum, a couple of the things said in the article are important I think. In particular "the way that New Zealanders invest so much of their identity into sport" is something we as a nation could consider a bit more I think. At the risk of going way off topic NZ could probably direct some more resources and attention to promoting and developing other aspects of our country!

Last edited:
NZ had much bad luck. Bad luck to play in the group of death with fearsome teams like Namibia, Tonga or Georgia. Then the bad luck continued playing against the best French side in the last 50 years with Serge Blanco and others legends.

Why the World Rugby is so spiteful with them? They don't like the black colour or the sheeps? It's unfair for them

Lol wrong thread Conrad the also rans thread is the otherway.

I kinda feel bad for them now.

Give them the cup. They had such a difficult and unlucky event so far. [emoji57]

Here's a fun stat: In Cricket South Africa's cricket team played analogous games to their Rugby team in both the '99 and '15 World Cups:

- In 1999 they lost to the Aussie ODI team in a semi that went down to the final over and then the Springboks lost in a similarly tight one to the Wallabies in the semi of RWC.
- In 2015 they lost to the All Blacks in a tight one in the RWC semi final and lost to the Black caps in an epic final over in the ODI WC.

An interesting 2nd perspective on Todd. You back up what I was saying & thinking about him. I really rate him as well and hope he gets brought into the mix after McCaw leaves - actually I'm sure he will. Savea, as you say is still a lot of hype, he is a very talented player but still has a lot to learn. Probably good he is off to 7s so Todd will get a shot. We may actually find Todd starts for the ABs if he can outplay Cane over time! They are probably at a similar level but with Cane having the advantage that he will be considered the incumbent, but one would imagine the two will be rotated somewhat from 2016 onwards so Todd should have every chance to proove his case!

I didnt feel qualified to argue the case that Todd would make the Argentinian playing XV or match day squad as I am not familiar enough with their players, but I have to say I'd be suprised if he wasnt considered good enough.

By the way this thread regresses significantly each night (NZ time). What's the deal lads? It's getting kinda old!!

despite what some may say I actually like to think I'm quite objective when I rate players. I'm a chiefs fan and I think Sam Cane is a great player.

but if selections were done on current form alone Matt Todd would be in this WC squad for sure or should I say if I was AB's selector I would have found room for Matt Todd in this WC squad. I dont necessarily think I can argue he would make the Argentinian team its a different culture and style of play.

I think hes arguably the best player left behind in NZ.

His style of game is ideal for test rugby
He's genuinely physical, much like david pocock. Hes the closest thing in the NZ game to David Pocock. Bit shorter, stocky, Built like an outhouse.
His running game is sick, better than Read, McCaw & Cane on recent form.
hes a fricken beast close to the line. He's on a red hot try scoring streak. His Strength sees him over the chalk a lot.
When he needs too he can clock up 20+ tackles a game.
He has another gear for big games. One of his test caps he came on fairly early as an injury replacement and he was superb. He came off the field with an empty tank and looked like he had been through a meat grinder he did everything right and was arguably man of the match.

If McCaw retires this year and its likely but not set in stone he will. in 2016 I would look to bring Todd in and start him at 7, Cane would continue to warm the bench. Or if you start cane and have Todd on the bench I think Todd would maybe out perform Cane given the chance from the bench and earn some starts.

Last edited:
Interestingly mccaw was not named today in the Crusaders squad so I'm guessing he is gonna call it a day?

Interestingly mccaw was not named today in the Crusaders squad so I'm guessing he is gonna call it a day?

You would say so, he always said he wouldn't talk about it until the WC was over but we all guess it is the case.

Given you need to play super rugby(or ITM cup) to get an AB's jersey and he is not contracted anywhere.

You would say so, he always said he wouldn't talk about it until the WC was over but we all guess it is the case.

Given you need to play super rugby(or ITM cup) to get an AB's jersey and he is not contracted anywhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if he does retire - the signs are there and he has done everything you can do in Rugby - except coaching which may be his next challenge?

It wouldn't surprise me if he does retire - the signs are there and he has done everything you can do in Rugby - except coaching which may be his next challenge?

If he does go into coaching after a couple of years and the Reds still have one R Graham then I would be happy to have him at the Reds.

Latest posts