• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 1: South Africa vs. New Zealand (24/10/2015)

I love New Zealand fans. All tournament I've heard on this forum that we are playing terribly and we'll be lucky to make it out of the GF. Now South Africa won't come within 30 points :D.

I will say this - that French game was the best I have seen the All Blacks play - potentially ever. What was amazing about it was the accuracy - not just of the passing (which was fantastic), or picking the right options (which was sublime), but the work at the breakdown. The French were blown away at the breakdown by some simply phenomenal accuracy there. Body positions were perfect, numbers were perfect. Whether the All Blacks can back that up is another story.

South Africa are a great team - no way anyone should look past them. Man for man there isn't necessary anyone I would personally take over our starting XV (Sam Whitelock for Etzebeth/De Juger may be a close one) - but if their midfield fires it could be a very tricky game. As good as we have played, we have also leaked some tries in this RWC - and I'm expecting a close one.

Whatever happens it will likely be exciting - as the main difference between this team and 2011, Hansen has definitely put the emphasis on attack.

I agree with your sentiment regarding how the AB's played against France. But it brings up the question, how can they look at that match and find areas to improve on? whereas SA can look at their game against Wales and see plenty of areas to improve on.

Wouldn't you prefer to be able to say that it took the eventual World Champions to knock your team out of the competition?

I get where you're coming from, but no. That sort of thing doesn't faze me.
Reason why i want the Boks to win is they would not only break a couple of records, but they would have completed the most incredible turn around, having a disastrous Rugby Championship, the Japan loss, a 'new' young team, with new captain. Then be able break all those odds would be the most incredible achievement in the game, and in sport.

This is probably going to be a harrowing match for us bokke fans, but still not discounting our chances to wrestle a victory. Both these teams know anything can happen in knockout rugby, and the weather might bring in a twist or two. Anyways, I have a feeling it's going to be a great game between two traditional foes, and it's unlikely either will roll over if things get tough. Can't wait!

Spoke to the coach, he's going to select Willem Alberts at 10, he's gonna run at Dan Carter the whole game.

Spoke to the coach, he's going to select Willem Alberts at 10, he's gonna run at Dan Carter the whole game.

Genius. I'd like to change my prediction. Boks by 50

Yeah, based on current form it should be the AB's by about 10-15, but this is knockout rugby and its 80 minutes at a time.

I reckon the Boks will get up and give a good contest, normally happens when we play each other.

Just waiting on the injuries and the teams, heard tonight that we will know more about NMS's shoulder tomorrow.

When we are saying "current form" and then NZ to win by 15 points or so, what current form is this? Is it the last game against France which was brilliant? Or the overall World Cup which has actually been quite disappointing for New Zealand?

South Africa had a shocking start, yes, but bounced back to look good and have looked good for a few games now. New Zealand have looked good in one game, against France, but it wasn't just good it was pretty brilliant. Also a decent seeing off of the Argies, but not impressive.

It'll be close. Very, very close, but I think Savea could tip the game in the kiwis favour.

I like Boks, in fact I`m thinking call Vatican, maybe Pope Francis could talk to God to stop "an inevitable All Blacks victory"...
but I have a question that stopped me: Could a team who lose against Japan win the Rugby World Cup?

You joke but put Burger at 10 and Alberts at 12 and our game won't change much actually. This makes me somewhat depressed.

I like Boks, in fact I`m thinking call Vatican, maybe Pope Francis could talk to God to stop "an inevitable All Blacks victory"...
but I have a question that stopped me: Could a team who lose against Japan win the Rugby World Cup?

Of course we can; we are the new France. This probably means we will beat NZ in the semi and lose the final against yourselves or Aussie.

And to think your team lost to the Boks in the last game they played, lol.....

To answer your question, even if we won against Japan, I don't think we will win the WC.....

Unless it absolute pours down with rain making attacking rugby impossible, I can't see anything other than a comfortable New Zealand win. If Wales had their first choice backs like Davies, Liam and Scott Williams, they would have won, all we needed as a little creativity out wide and a little common sense not to kick the ball and just throw caution to the wind. South Africa never once looked like scoring until Cuthbert's (which wouldn't have happened if Liam Williams was fit) defensive blunder, even though they were in our half with the ball for long sustained periods. They are unbelievably predictable and Wales showed with the likes of Lydiate and Warburton is all you have to do is chop them low and jackal. There was no foot work at all. You can outmuscle Scotland and USA all you want, there's no way it will work against teams with amazing flair like the Argies, Aus and NZ. They will need to score tries to beat the ABs because I have no doubt New Zealand will cross the line. And on that performance, I just cannot see them doing it. One dimensional bosh rugby is easy pickings for the All Blacks.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not going to be easy at all. But if there is one team that can beat the All Blacks, it's us.

Argentina and Australia have a way better chance of doing so. The only thing that potentially will stop them is fitness (see the first pool game).

- - - Updated - - -

When we are saying "current form" and then NZ to win by 15 points or so, what current form is this? Is it the last game against France which was brilliant? Or the overall World Cup which has actually been quite disappointing for New Zealand?

South Africa had a shocking start, yes, but bounced back to look good and have looked good for a few games now. New Zealand have looked good in one game, against France, but it wasn't just good it was pretty brilliant. Also a decent seeing off of the Argies, but not impressive.

It'll be close. Very, very close, but I think Savea could tip the game in the kiwis favour.

NZ were using those games as training runs, manipulating scenarios to test themselves. Those games are not a good base to judge considering they went into them knowing they had won. Just like judging South Africa's form on their win over a poor Samoa team and 2nd string Scotland and USA teams is not the correct way of looking at it.

Unless it absolute pours down with rain making attacking rugby impossible, I can't see anything other than a comfortable New Zealand win. If Wales had their first choice backs like Davies, Liam and Scott Williams, they would have won, all we needed as a little creativity out wide and a little common sense not to kick the ball and just throw caution to the wind. South Africa never once looked like scoring until Cuthbert's (which wouldn't have happened if Liam Williams was fit) defensive blunder, even though they were in our half with the ball for long sustained periods. They are unbelievably predictable and Wales showed with the likes of Lydiate and Warburton is all you have to do is chop them low and jackal. There was no foot work at all. You can outmuscle Scotland and USA all you want, there's no way it will work against teams with amazing flair like the Argies, Aus and NZ. They will need to score tries to beat the ABs because I have no doubt New Zealand will cross the line. And on that performance, I just cannot see them doing it. One dimensional bosh rugby is easy pickings for the All Blacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Argentina and Australia have a way better chance of doing so. The only thing that potentially will stop them is fitness (see the first pool game).

- - - Updated - - -

NZ were using those games as training runs, manipulating scenarios to test themselves. Those games are not a good base to judge considering they went into them knowing they had won. Just like judging South Africa's form on their win over a poor Samoa team and 2nd string Scotland and USA teams is not the correct way of looking at it.

someone give this man a bells!!!
agree 100%
i just want to add wayne barnes or jaco peyper to the equation... so not only rain... mind you the AB can still play their running game in the wet but its not a effective

I'm going to put the kiss of death on any hope of an AB victory and back them to beat the Boks 6-10 pts.

The coaching team of the All Blacks comprise of 3 former backline players. Steve Hansen coaches the All Blacks with an attacking mindset.

So, the Springboks who are a forward minded team, could definitely win, if they dominate the AB tight 5, and in turn starve the backline of ball.
They have an advantage in that area since that's where their strength lies, whereas the AB's strength is in the backline.
It always starts up front, so if the Springboks dominate up front, they will win.

The coaching team of the All Blacks comprise of 3 former backline players. Steve Hansen coaches the All Blacks with an attacking mindset.

So, the Springboks who are a forward minded team, could definitely win, if they dominate the AB tight 5, and in turn starve the backline of ball.
They have an advantage in that area since that's where their strength lies, whereas the AB's strength is in the backline.
It always starts up front, so if the Springboks dominate up front, they will win.
See I don't even think you have the edge up front. Retallick and Whitelock get through mountains of work in the physical tight stuff and Coles in my opinion is better than Bismarck, who has been unimpressive in the big games so far. Also their scrum looked pretty sound Saturday and when you look at de Jager and Matfield potentially being out, having PDST there definitely throws the advantage in that area to the All Blacks.

For some reason this World Cup doesn't feel as impactful.. Whether this is because we are the current champs and expected to win again. But I remember back in the day there was a very eerie feeling surrounding the World Cup. Now, if we win I don't think i'll feel any more excited as when we win the Bledisloe or the Rugby Championship...

Or maybe im just getting old

- - - Updated - - -

All Blacks to win this game clearly... but the score will be within 12

I agree with your sentiment regarding how the AB's played against France. But it brings up the question, how can they look at that match and find areas to improve on? whereas SA can look at their game against Wales and see plenty of areas to improve on.

France made a few clean breaks through midfield and 1-2 out from the ruck. That is somewhere NZ can improve on (defence).

Also, teams should be constantly looking to improve if they want to stay on top of the game. These days you can get left behind pretty quickly if you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115778

Referee: Jérôme Garcès

Touch judges: Romain Poite,John Lacey

TMO: George Ayoub

Don't really have an opinion either way on Garces.

Ayoub though... i am suprised this guy keeps getting appointments. His work as a TMO is not flash.

Latest posts