• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

complete disagree this is clearly how discriminative rugby is in argentina.. and also "existismo" ( And look at what our football has accomplished being a powerhouse and having some of the best players in the world (Messi included).
you see he is sayng that beeng runners up in the soccer world cup and beeng a power house wasnt enough

For the sake of our country's rugby I hope the majority is as discriminative as I am.
And I think this is in fact the case.
Most of course wont say it, but deep down Im positive most people in rugby feel the way I do.
If rugby gets "footballized" then we can forget about the sport.

For the sake of our country's rugby I hope the majority is as discriminative as I am.
Most of course wont say it, but deep down Im positive most people in rugby feel the way I do.

well pal this is just nazi. end of discussion. is just a pity that so many rugby fans in arg are this. hopefully its a minority
most normal people would prefer to see the sport grow..
and yes many may think like you in the bottom line but dont say it because they would feel embarased of having such a conservative /nazi view!!!

Isn't a glory hunter someone who changes allegiances? Using the Man Utd. example kids from 90's (there's a lot from the 60's) probably were attracted by their winning ways

I say this because I cam from an area where our de facto team hadn't even played in the Football League until I started university. A few teams played higher but the closest premier league team was over an hour and a half away.

So when choosing a Premier League side locality had nothing to do with, most went for who their fathers supported or similar but due to age that tended to Man Utd. due to Best/Charlton era. We use to ridicule kids who changed their minds who they liked instead. Mind you I only really ever followed football in a very bad attempt to look cool I was never much interested in sports to circa 1997 and started following rugby union.

well pal this is just nazi. end of discussion. is just a pity that so many rugby fans in arg are this. hopefully its a minority
most normal people would prefer to see the sport grow..
and yes many may think like you in the bottom line but dont say it because they would feel embarased of having such a conservative /nazi view!!!

Wait a second there buddy.
Nazi? Dont you think that's a tad too strong?
All Im saying is that I wouldnt like rugby to become as popular as football.
Is that even discriminative? Im not sure.

Hi there, just registered, been reading the forum for a while.

Regarding ZeFrench's last post, i think moroni could be a good defensive option in cordero's place, and maybe using cordero as an offensive impact player on the 2nd half?

Bjarg's post is one of the reasons why rugby is tagged as an elitist sport in Arg. Add the amateurism which expels any young player who doesn't have a rich family or a family business to be able to keep up with a high performance sport training and you have a partially elitist community in an elitist context for a beautifull sport that should be generally enjoyed.

And yes the massification could bring some more lassers to the pitch, but i've seen naked people jumping in to the pitch and stop an attack by tackling a player so... i know it's quite funny but idk what is more civilized or "educated".

Isn't a glory hunter someone who changes allegiances? Using the Man Utd. example kids from 90's (there's a lot from the 60's) probably were attracted by their winning ways

I say this because I cam from an area where our de facto team hadn't even played in the Football League until I started university. A few teams played higher but the closest premier league team was over an hour and a half away.

So when choosing a Premier League side locality had nothing to do with, most went for who their fathers supported or similar but due to age that tended to Man Utd. due to Best/Charlton era. We use to ridicule kids who changed their minds who they liked instead. Mind you I only really ever followed football in a very bad attempt to look cool I was never much interested in sports to circa 1997 and started following rugby union.

Well I'm from that generation and we were in Southampton territory (who I supported growing up) but I remember a lot of kids supporting Man U whose family had no allegiance because of the winning.

Changing allegiance is the extreme end of glory hunting, I'd still say that picking a winning team in the first place is glory-hunting, even if you stick by them when they stop winning. Just my opinion.

Wait a second there buddy.
Nazi? Dont you think that's a tad too strong?
All Im saying is that I wouldnt like rugby to become as popular as football.
Is that even discriminative? Im not sure.

oh yes it is discriminative as hell!! "i dont want you stinky people to ruin my elite beatufull game"

Guys, I think that the original question someone asked has been more than thoroughly answered (The portraying of the Pumas campaign by the Media)... Please stop fighting each other... I'm sure the rest of the forum finds this fascinating, but there's a semi final happening in three days! Let's go back to it, shall we? :)

Of course rugby shouldn't become like football.

Football is the most disgusting expression of everything that's wrong with Argentina, from stupid sentimentalism to absolute fanatism, from the glorification of poorness, moral corruption and acceptation wrong doing to its implication in politics. Football is the cancer of Argentina. To see Maradona in the same locker room as the pumas makes me want to puke, to see the team that represents honesty and hard work and humble attitude and decency through defeat and victory (few victories, by the way, you damn exitistas), to see it invaded by that disgrace of sportsman feels physically bad to me.

And we're not nazis, we just have some standards, and green lasers and whistling to the other team's kickers is out of that. When they interrupted the haka was the single most embarrasing moment as an argentinian rugby fan I ever had.

And I lost by 75pts to null.

Two points

First

You are looking at the problem upside down. You are looking at rugby in Argentina as something that would be contaminated if it'd be readily available to the rest of the population. I, and i think i'm not alone here, look at it as an opportunity to spread rugby's values to the rest of the population.

You see the population "footballizing" rugby. I see rugby "rugbyzing" the population.

Second, tone it down, both sides. Not the place nor the time.

Hello all,

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say that I get what Cruz_del_Sur is saying and I honestly consider rugby to be kind of an elitist sport in Argentina. For example, I went to the last game between the Springboks and the Pumas at Vélez Sarsfield's stadium and when I bought my tickets I found out that pretty much half of the stadium was booked for the people related to the clubs. So I have to ask, how does that help Argentine rugby to grow? I got into rugby thanks to a friend of mine around 2007 and since then I have watched all Pumas' games and followed Argentina's local rugby as well as European, SR and International Tests. But I never hold a rugby ball in my hands actually, even though my dad used to play rugby as a kid. Is that bad? I don't think it's wrong for Argentina rugby to expand itself and bring people not currently linked to it.

Hello all,

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say that I get what Cruz_del_Sur is saying and I honestly consider rugby to be kind of an elitist sport in Argentina. For example, I went to the last game between the Springboks and the Pumas at Vélez Sarsfield's stadium and when I bought my tickets I found out that pretty much half of the stadium was booked for the people related to the clubs. So I have to ask, how does that help Argentine rugby to grow? I got into rugby thanks to a friend of mine around 2007 and since then I have watched all Pumas' games and followed Argentina's local rugby as well as European, SR and International Tests. But I never hold a rugby ball in my hands actually, even though my dad used to play rugby as a kid. Is that bad? I don't think it's wrong for Argentina rugby to expand itself and bring people not currently linked to it.

Hi, welcome. Nice to see another new face. Enjoy it here.
As to your questions. A lot of tickets are usually reserved for season ticket holders, or clubs. It happens.
With regards to you never playing rugby. Look at me. I played one match in school when i was about 12 years old, and now i'm working to become a coach. It doesn't matter if you played or not. It's all about your understanding and respect for the game.

It's very boring to read the resentful like u. All the time attacking Australia, as @sanzar; says: The Kiwis are too concerned about Australia. You can see this in All Aussie fan pages in facebook, tw or whatever. In an Aussie fan page you always can find a Kiwi talking about Australia but in a NZ fan page you never see an Aussie talking about NZ.

Not really in the mood for **** banter. I said "I hope to meet in in the final" because it would be nice to see Argentina make it, not because I think it would be easier, you took my comment the wrong way and ended up looking like a dick. @Conrad Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Two points

First

You are looking at the problem upside down. You are looking at rugby in Argentina as something that would be contaminated if it'd be readily available to the rest of the population. I, and i think i'm not alone here, look at it as an opportunity to spread rugby's values to the rest of the population.

You see the population "footballizing" rugby. I see rugby "rugbyzing" the population.

Second, tone it down, both sides. Not the place nor the time.

thank you this is exactly what i was going to say.

Of course rugby shouldn't become like football.

Football is the most disgusting expression of everything that's wrong with Argentina, from stupid sentimentalism to absolute fanatism, from the glorification of poorness, moral corruption and acceptation wrong doing to its implication in politics. Football is the cancer of Argentina. To see Maradona in the same locker room as the pumas makes me want to puke, to see the team that represents honesty and hard work and humble attitude and decency through defeat and victory (few victories, by the way, you damn exitistas), to see it invaded by that disgrace of sportsman feels physically bad to me.

And we're not nazis, we just have some standards, and green lasers and whistling to the other team's kickers is out of that. When they interrupted the haka was the single most embarrasing moment as an argentinian rugby fan I ever had.

And I lost by 75pts to null.

come in man i been watching los pumas since the seventies. and i can recall my father complaining over people whistling at the rivals anthem at those ferro test maches. and even the lasers wich i hate just as you are not from soccer people. there are idiots among rugby too

Listen, I would love rugby to become a national sport, but with the right attitude.

First of all, rugby is a closed circle, not an elite. Rugby is not an sport of rich people, but a sport of the middle class in a country in which middle class used to be strong and important.

That middle class, today, does not exist, or is almost gone. It was the middle class who send kids to study liberal careers (architects, lawyers, doctors, engineers) and had a certain proud on their cultural levels. Today, I wouldn't call it dead completely, but is in more than serious danger of exctintion.

What happens is that in over 50 years argentinian society has fallen so deep, today there is rich people or poor people, and those poor folks hate the rich folks even if between them the difference is almost null: they have the same tastes and almost the same culture, some of them happen to have the money. You can see this in the evolution of the players at pumas by yourself.

So, what I mean: rugby will never become any kind of conduct to democratize any kind of value, because mass phenomenons (if rugby ever becomes that) who affect society in those subtle and profound ways do not work like that. It's a nice dream, but it's just not truth.
So, being humble about the properties and importance of this child game we really like (it's a child's game after all), I would rather have the less contamination of all those bad things being an argentinian social phenomenom carries. That simple.

Latest posts