• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales

Why isn't he? How do we know if he isn't good enough without giving him a go? He's earned the right to play in that shirt. Hammett switched him and he's excelled.

Same with Williams would rather have seen him over Preistland.

This.

He's been one of few standout players for the Blues, so why not? Not even saying drop Faletau for him, but Navidi's form definitely warranted a place in the squad as at least a back up no.8.

Because he's too small?
Playing there for a crap Cardiff team doesn't really justify him a starting place at international level. When he surpasses Tips or Warbs as a 7 or one of them greta injured then he will be involved.

Because he's too small?
Playing there for a crap Cardiff team doesn't really justify him a starting place at international level. When he surpasses Tips or Warbs as a 7 or one of them greta injured then he will be involved.

Sorry but that's BS! I know Cardiff aren't playing the best at the moment, but that still doesn't hide the fact that Navidi has been knocking past opponents with ease, despite being apparently "too small".
No one has said that he should go straight into the starting XV for Wales, just that his form warrants a place in the squad, and a shot to prove himself.

I'm sorry i just don't consider him an option there. He's a 7 or nothing or you play a bigger 7/6 to compensate and we don't have the.quality depth.

I don't know how Turnbull keeps gettin in the squad though, he's so average.

I'm sorry i just don't consider him an option there. He's a 7 or nothing or you play a bigger 7/6 to compensate and we don't have the.quality depth.I don't know how Turnbull keeps gettin in the squad though, he's so average.

Warbs isn't exactly small, and Navidi's partnered him plenty from 6! Remember them giving the Toulon back row a run for their money a few years back. Give me an example of a recent match where Navidi has been outmuscled / shown up for being too small , and I'll accept what you're saying.

Tbf to Turnbull, he impressed me out in SA and has been decent for the Blues.Guessing he's been picked mostly due to his versatility. Line out option too.

Last edited:
I would go for Warbs & Tipuric - what about Anscombe in squad??

Definitely my pick for 1st choice flankers.
Won't happen, I'll be shocked its anything other than 6. Lydiate 7. Warburton 8. Faletau

Ansombe was always gonna happen. Had a decent run of games and looks tidy enough. Not 1st choice, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on the bench / given a run out vs Italy, maybe Scotland (massive potential banana skin, so they better be sure with whatever line up plays in Murrayfield)

Warbs isn't exactly small, and Navidi's partnered him plenty from 6! Remember them giving the Toulon back row a run for their money a few years back. Give me an example of a recent match where Navidi has been outmuscled / shown up for being too small , and I'll accept what you're saying.

Tbf to Turnbull, he impressed me out in SA and has been decent for the Blues.Guessing he's been picked mostly due to his versatility. Line out option too.

I just don't see the use of him being in the squad other than to train. We need to look at big backup /86 options instead that is what is most effective these days.

I'd still like to see some more variation in the backline. Hopefully Cory Allen can have a cameo or two and we can see what he's made of.

Anscombe? Don't see why he's in the squad to be honest. A bit of a disgrace selecting imo.

Anscombe moved halfway across the world, leaving behind his friends and family, and joined the regional game, in order to play for Wales. Owen Williams wouldn't move a few hours in the car to join the regions.

I know who I'd feel more sympathetic towards...

Anscombe moved halfway across the world, leaving behind his friends and family, and joined the regional game, in order to play for Wales. Owen Williams wouldn't move a few hours in the car to join the regions.

A bit disingenuous don't you think...

Only because Anscombe couldn't get in the all blacks team . Had he been in with a sniff he wouldn't have left NZ . As a Leicester fan id rather have Owen Williams over any Welsh outside half tbh

George North went to Northampton, Halfpenny to France, and there are others. Your comment is pointless.

I'll admit Anscombe whiffs of getting him capped asap...

I would much prefer Owen Williams in the squad than not, probably ahead of Priestland though.

All I'll say re Anscombe is that if he exceeds expectations nobody will be complaining he was fast-tracked.

All I'll say re Anscombe is that if he exceeds expectations nobody will be complaining he was fast-tracked.

Yes, it is a well known fact that someone who plays well is welcomed into the team.

The point we are making is that he hasn't actually merited the fast track. I haven't seen anything that indicates he is anything more than an OK standoff, nothing worth chasing around the world for. Dan Biggar and Owen Williams have shown more in recent times.

Yes, it is a well known fact that someone who plays well is welcomed into the team.

The point we are making is that he hasn't actually merited the fast track. I haven't seen anything that indicates he is anything more than an OK standoff, nothing worth chasing around the world for. Dan Biggar and Owen Williams have shown more in recent times.

The issue is that if you assume Biggar and, to a certain extent Preistland are nailed on squad players, then there actually is a limited pool to get the 3rd guy, especially if you go with Gatland's reluctance to pick non-nailed on squad players who play outside Wales (Hook etc) then it was always going to be between Anscombe and Patchell, one of which is/has recently been off injured.

I agree he's hardly set the Pro 12 alight but lets give him a chance. And thats all I will say on the matter, I dream of a Wales squad where the fans don't go all tribal and argue amongst themselves.

Only because Anscombe couldn't get in the all blacks team . Had he been in with a sniff he wouldn't have left NZ . As a Leicester fan id rather have Owen Williams over any Welsh outside half tbh
And fair play to him. You can have more than one nationality.

George North went to Northampton, Halfpenny to France, and there are others. Your comment is pointless.
These players moved before the dual contracts came into effect (North moving even though he wanted to stay in Wales) and are midway through that contract. They didn't turn down a dual contract like Owen did. They didn't ignore Gatland's preference for home-based players.

All I'm saying is that Anscombe has worked harder to come and play for Wales than Owen has, so I don't understand why people feel so aggrieved that he's being picked. Not judging Owen for staying in the Premiership either; he seems to want the money and footfall of the Premiership, fair play to him if he deems that to be more important than international recognition. But no one should feel offended on his behalf because he knew the risks when he turned down the dual contract.

Anscombe didn't have to work for it. He has been targeted for over a year and subsequently recruited by the head coach of the national team for god's sake and given the keys to the Cardiff 10 jersey as well, with a 250,000 dual contract to sweeten things. Gatland even gave him the option of staying in NZ to try his hand at the AB's and mentioned his empathy for him.

I don't have a problem if he earns the jersey, he's Welsh qualified and a good rugby footballer. But the whole process has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Owen would most likely be paid a similar amount if he signed a dual contract. Playing for a decent team of his choice was probably the bigger incentive. Unless he could play for the Ospreys the other Welsh clubs aren't really good for aspiring 10's

Last edited:
Roberts looked really good today for Racing. His attacking play seems to be undergoing a bit of a renaissance, and his defence was pretty awesome as usual. North's hit on Big Ted was good to see as well, showing he's not afraid to defend.

Latest posts