• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales

These players moved before the dual contracts came into effect (North moving even though he wanted to stay in Wales) and are midway through that contract. They didn't turn down a dual contract like Owen did. They didn't ignore Gatland's preference for home-based players.

We will see his preferences when he picks Roberts and Davies in the centre against England when Scott Williams is playing better and plays in Wales . It only ever suits Gatlands law when it suits Gatland . His mouth is too big and that's his largest problem .....

We will see his preferences when he picks Roberts and Davies in the centre against England when Scott Williams is playing better and plays in Wales . It only ever suits Gatlands law when it suits Gatland . His mouth is too big and that's his largest problem .....

Scott Williams is playing more than Davies, but not necessarily better. Roberts' form has improved for Racing and he's been in top form for Wales all last year. Plus don't forget that Davies has only recently come back from injury, and that he is a better player than SW anyway.

Only because Anscombe couldn't get in the all blacks team . Had he been in with a sniff he wouldn't have left NZ . As a Leicester fan id rather have Owen Williams over any Welsh outside half tbh

Fair point about Anscombe, but at least he qualifies through Welsh blood not because of residency. I'm excited to see how he goes this Six nations, but i definitely would not have him or Owen Williams ahead of Biggar in the pecking order currently. Biggar for me, is the second best FH in the Six Nations behind Sexton by a smidge, but then i'm a wee bit biased ;)

Last edited:
I want to know what people's starting squads would be for the 6th. Who you would pick personally, not who you think Gatland is likely to go with.

Here's mine:

Jenkins, Hibbard, Lee, AW Jones, Ball, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau; Webb, Biggar, L Williams, Roberts, S Williams, North, Halfpenny

Bench: James, Baldwin, Jarvis, King, Tipuric, G Davies, Priestland, J Davies

Most of the starting line up picks itself imo. There are not many recent games where I would have left Tipuric out of the starting back row, but I couldn't leave out Warbs because of how many great games he has put in for Wales recently, and Lydiate is just on fine form for the Ospreys. These three have actually matured into one of the best-balanced back rows I can remember for Wales.

The front and second rows don't even require a second thought. Same goes for half backs.

Cuthbert hasn't done anything of note in recent times to deserve to be in there. Liam Williams cannot be left out of the starting team under any circumstances. He is our most threatening attacking option at the minute, especially on the counter. It was very tempting to put him at fullback and have Leigh on the wing, but Leigh hasn't played on the wing as recently as Liam has.

I've gone with Scott Williams because I have really liked what I've seen from him in attack lately (and I've just always generally been a fan of his), but to be fair on Davies I haven't seen him at all this season :-/ Someone give me an update!

I've put King on the bench rather than Charteris or Davies so that I can also have Tipuric, and King can cover both lock and back row.

Gareth Davies > Phillips any day of the week

Priestland has been very impressive lately, which I never thought I'd say. Seems like he is growing back to his previous world cup form. Why does that guy decide to start playing rugby around world cups?

Davies played against us yesterday, he was immense. Bursting through tackles and just being nearly impossible to bring down, I would start him as I don't know if we can put both him and Roberts down.

Davies played against us yesterday, he was immense. Bursting through tackles and just being nearly impossible to bring down, I would start him as I don't know if we can put both him and Roberts down.

That's really good to know, thanks :) Feel so ridiculously out of the loop with the French-based players, much more so than the English-based. Seems like most of our backs are on great form at the minute. Perfect timing! :p

I want to know what people's starting squads would be for the 6th. Who you would pick personally, not who you think Gatland is likely to go with.

Here's mine:

Jenkins, Hibbard, Lee, AW Jones, Ball, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau; Webb, Biggar, L Williams, Roberts, S Williams, North, Halfpenny

/QUOTE]

Agree with that team completely, bar SW for Davies.

I also always yearn for Tipuric to be teamed with Warbs and Faletau, but with Lydiate's good run of form in the autumn it's hard to leave him out.

That's pretty much what I'd go far as well, but I'd stick with Davies at outside center. Scott has been playing well, but Davies on form is a more complete player.

I'd still love to see the Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau backrow again, but Tips hasn't been at the top of his game recently imo, still good, but not his usual levels of excellence for the O's. That may have something to do with the front row problems the Ospreys have been struggling with, not giving the backrow much opportunity. Lydiate was great in the AI's, and seems to have settled down further since his return to the Welsh game, so I'd be happy for him to start.

In the outside backs, I'd personally rotate Liam and Halfpenny, with Halfpenny lining up at fullback in defense and Liam in attack. Have Liam drop back in defense for counters as well.

I'd still be weary about going up against the likes of England without a proper second row on the bench. King is too lightweight in the boiler house at international level for me. Still can't decide between Priestland and Anscome, Priestland still worries me, whilst I haven't seen enough of Anscome yet tbh. He looks decent enough, but It's a big step-up, facing the old enemy in the packed cauldron of the Millenium.

Halfpenny can attack from fullback. He has shown it before, watch the Lions series.
I am convinced his safe play is direct orders from Howley. Halfpenny can play safe rugby, Williams can't.

Lydiate doesn't carry enough for my liking. King is more effective in the Ospreys back row, but has been shifted to second row to accommodate Lydiate (at the expense of Bernardo, who greatly contributes to their lineout).

That's pretty much what I'd go far as well, but I'd stick with Davies at outside center. Scott has been playing well, but Davies on form is a more complete player.

I'd still love to see the Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau backrow again, but Tips hasn't been at the top of his game recently imo, still good, but not his usual levels of excellence for the O's. That may have something to do with the front row problems the Ospreys have been struggling with, not giving the backrow much opportunity. Lydiate was great in the AI's, and seems to have settled down further since his return to the Welsh game, so I'd be happy for him to start.

In the outside backs, I'd personally rotate Liam and Halfpenny, with Halfpenny lining up at fullback in defense and Liam in attack. Have Liam drop back in defense for counters as well.

I'd still be weary about going up against the likes of England without a proper second row on the bench. King is too lightweight in the boiler house at international level for me. Still can't decide between Priestland and Anscome, Priestland still worries me, whilst I haven't seen enough of Anscome yet tbh. He looks decent enough, but It's a big step-up, facing the old enemy in the packed cauldron of the Millenium.

He's also too lightweight for second row at domestic level.

Halfpenny can attack from fullback. He has shown it before, watch the Lions series.

Don't get me wrong, I know Halfpenny can attack. He showed that when he was a winger, and there's been a fair bit at Toulon, but I don't get why people bring up the Lions so much. He had one decent run/break in the Third test, but other than that showed the same kind of performance you'd expect of him in a Wales shirt.

I don't think it's a case of he can't attack, I think it's a case of he's told to hang back as a defensive option because his defence, and reading of kicks, is so good that any breaks or kicks will be easily covered by him.

Don't get me wrong, I know Halfpenny can attack. He showed that when he was a winger, and there's been a fair bit at Toulon, but I don't get why people bring up the Lions so much. He had one decent run/break in the Third test, but other than that showed the same kind of performance you'd expect of him in a Wales shirt.

I don't think it's a case of he can't attack, I think it's a case of he's told to hang back as a defensive option because his defence, and reading of kicks, is so good that any breaks or kicks will be easily covered by him.

Yeah seems about right. He does know how to cut nice angles - used to see it plenty even before he moved to fullback. I still think he attacks a little more like a winger than a lot of 15's out there, which is certainly not a criticism, especially when his defensive and kick coverage are so damn good.

I really haven't been all that impressed with Lydiate this season. Didn't think he offered a huge amount in the Autumn - fell off a few key tackles here and there too. To be fair to the guy though, he hadnt exactly had huge amount of rugby at the time.
His carrying certainly looks on the up, or at least it did last time I saw him play against the Dragons a few weeks back.

Last edited:
He's also too lightweight for second row at domestic level.

He has been effective for the Ospreys alongside Tipuric and Ardron. I only see him as a blindside option. Ospreys have two big second rows in the U20 (Thornton and Beard) so they will get some depth there I hope. AWJ needs a backup!

Yeah, fair enough about Halfpenny. Like I said, he is probably under orders. He is very reliable reading kicks, and a far more stable option. Williams doesn't offer that, so is of lesser interest to Gatland. Davies' form for Clermont has been up and down it seems, most recent match v Saracens was not bad I hear.

Here's mine:

/QUOTE]

Agree with that team completely, bar SW for Davies.

I also always yearn for Tipuric to be teamed with Warbs and Faletau, but with Lydiate's good run of form in the autumn it's hard to leave him out.

Completely agree here, would have Davies in for sure - but I am a big fan of Williams as well and I'm sure he'll feature at some point.

Sad to say considering he has had so many good performances, but agree that Cuthbert shouldn't get into the starting XV based on current and recent form. North may have been patchy lately but his club form is very good - hoping he's going to be back to his best during the campaign. Would like to see Liam Williams on the wing as Halfpenny is just so solid at 15. Have him defend effectively with Williams available outside him for counter attacks.

For England I'd definitely play Priestland as backup to Biggar, but I'd like to see Anscombe given a shot against Italy at the very least, possibly Scotland and/or France as well. Would do him some good to get some experience and he's a great prospect for the World Cup, so let's see how he copes. Wouldn't risk it against England or Ireland, but there should be some opportunities elsewhere.

Really want to see Gareth Davies back in the frame too - very exciting player IMO and could have pushed Webb for the shirt more if he hadn't had his recent injury, methinks.

Bradley Davies has been really excellent for Wasps...but listening to you guys he seems to be well behind a number of others?

I don't know what it is about him, but he always appears to be playing in slow motion. Charteris had a great game versus ermm...I want to say Saracens, but I'm not sure it was them. He's gone from a beanpole to a really effective player, who's actually using his height to his advantage instead of falling over rucks to give away penalties. Also seems to have bulked up a bit without losing his lack of speed around the park....

Six months ago, I'd have said that of all the places England would struggle to get a world class pairing in, the last of them would have been second row. They've got a plethora of talent there, but all seem to be injured (yay!). AWJ is a shoe in, I've always thought Ian Evans was too stupid (not thick, just plain stupid) to play international rugby. I like Ball (yeah yeah no innuendo please), and pretty sure he's a few years younger than his beard.

I'd definitely pick the old 12-13 of Roberts/Davies. From the little I've seen of them, they've been immense vs the England centres. Roberts was MoTM by a mile in the Northampton game, and JDII smashed Saracens(see previous query).

I like Rhys Webb as starter, with Phillips to come on and just spread some muscle around if it gets tight.

Bradley Davies is badly missed by Cardiff, but to be fair, his last few outings for Wales haven't been stellar (Ball has been a better performer). Charteris has struggled in France with injuries, while Evans can't be considered a serious option (I was honestly surprised we got a few more years out of him, 2012 was excellent, and he deserved a Lions cap more than Gray).

We are once again weak at second row. Joe Snyman and George Earle become Welsh this September, but I wouldn't consider them as future squad members. Have to hope on Thornton, Beard, Davies (Joe) pushing on past U20.

Hi guys, I'm really sorry if I'm bothering you with this, but I was wondering where I can put my Six Nations tickets for February 15th (Wales - Scotland) for sale!

Last edited:

Latest posts