• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: England vs. Ireland (27/02/2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
file.php

That's the best thing I ever saw

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to the game. I think it will be close, Ireland know their game well enough to execute it perfectly despite injuries to some of their players. However, I think England to win by a score, once Itoje and Clifford the big red dog come on to help us over the line, and really shows the importance of having a bit more pace in the backrow... Then one or both to start against Wales the week after...

Not arrogance, maybe wishful thinking, but its going to be tight. It could easily go Irelands way to. But I feel its Englands to lose...

Maybe you guys should read the whole article and not just the headline ?

That will NEVER catch on. So much easier, and more enjoyable to just leap in to take offence - often whilst accusing the other side of arrogance.

I think of the Irish were at full strength we may have been trouble. Thankfully some big losses in their team and a couple wins behind England, however simple they may have been, and home advantage, plus what would seem to be a pretty handy impact bench, should be just enough to squeeze out a victory. If Lawes can put some trademark tackles in on sexton and shake him up a bit/a lot that would also be handy. Without him Ireland look a bit lost.

I think England really need to seize this chance and be ruthless. Grand slams aside we don't have long to get up those world rankings and out of the danger zone before WC draws

Also interesting in the news to read that Daly has been brought in and played at 12 in training with some success. Given that he can play seemingly anywhere in the back line might be interesting to see him on the bench to cover 12, although maybe not the game to throw up such a big wild card. That being said he can certainly do everything Faz is doing at 12 and he has much better feet and is quick with great hands. Would be very interesting to see him inside a try line assassin like JJ.

Christ, analysis has broken out!

No matter what team we put out here we're underdogs, which is glorious! I'd love to see a bit of change and Schmidt has implied it will happen because we are out of the running (No idea why that's a requirement to play new on form faces but that's neither here nor there), McCloskey at 12 and Henshaw and Payne 13 or 15 it doesn't matter which way around! I'd also like to see VDF into 7, TO'D always performs well but VDF has a huge ceiling and we know how England can struggle playing a 7 like him, I'd stick Ruddock and TO'D. There's not a lot to do with the front five or wings, anyone who's not in hospital gets a run and the halfbacks pick themselves, PJ on the bench though.

That gives us a very balanced and hard running back row along with a centre pairing capable of running far better lines, which is a huge weakness in Payne's game there, and creating space, if Ford is at 10 it'll be even more fun! Live with them at the scrum and line out and we may just have something that can put a smile on Ireland fan's faces again... It could also go sour if Henshaw doesn't adapt to defending at 13 too well!

From an Irish perspective we can't tell a lot until we see the side but I feel there has to be change because a few of the more vocal members of the media and fans have turned on Schmidt and if we have a repeat of two weeks ago it'll get a hell of a lot worse. I predict a big win but I haven't a clue to who, it'll either be Ireland are a shambles and England's simple game batters them á la 2008 and 2012 or no one expects Ireland to win so they give England a right beating á la 2011.

I can't see anything but an England win, provided England turn up (unlike 2015). We're missing Henderson, McCarthy, SOB, O'Mahony, Fitzgerald, (probably) Payne, Dave Kearney and Bowe together with an out of form and undercooked Healy and Ross, a 35 yr old Reddan, an out of form Ryan, Zebo and Madigan as well as McFadden (needs no description).
The only area I see us competing and (hopefully) winning is the breakdown, provided England go with a Robshaw/Haskell/Vunipola back row. Ford is out of form so if we send Stander down his channel all day, he could get rattled.
Rumours are Earls has been running in the 13 channel in training. If Payne isn't fit and Schmidt puts Earls at 13, we will get steamrolled. He's an average to decent international wing and is a poor Champions Cup 13. Joseph will have a field day against Earls.
If Ireland get a fast start and put a decent score on the board early, I could see us sneaking the win. However, England seem to have too much power up front with electric backs in Joseph and Watson to cut us apart. I predict England by 7+, being generous to Ireland.
Ireland will line out something like this (provided Payne is injured):
1. McGrath
2. Best
3. Ross
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. Stander
7. TOD
8. Heaslip
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Zebo
12. Henshaw
13. Earls
14. Trimble
15. Kearney

Lawes dropped out of the 23 for this weekend & daly called up. Apart from that the other 22 are the same. Maybe itoje will start

So long as it's still a contest around the hour mark I think England's bench will see them over the line.

Is it a secret that there's a reasonable percentage of celts that have an anyone but England mentality ? Nope . Is it reasonable for Eddie to say England players can use that to their advantage ? Yep Clive says that his England team used to use it all the time . Eddie even said he can't do that because he Australian .....

Maybe you guys should read the whole article and not just the headline ?
_:
The intent of his message is clear. Claiming he can't use it because of his nationality was just a tokenistic disclaimer. Why say what he said otherwise?

We should be friends! Do you think the English are the epitome of all things arrogant? Cuz I do for one week every year!!

Arrogance confuses me somewhat when it comes to supporters or fans. Personally I don't understand how someone can behave in an arrogant manner when they themselves had absolutely no hand in what it is they feel arrogant about. Cheering on a team from the stands doesn't count IMO. I can understand players or coaches feeling arrogant if they played a part in a team's success or progress. Surely the most fans can and should feel is pride and not arrogance ;)

Last edited:
The Alpha Bro I think it may be a stretch to say Ireland are the underdogs. I'm sure they will be plugging that line to take pressure off themselves and put it onto England, but it ain't so. With all factors as they stand I think it's an even contest which will likely come down to the wire. I just hope it doesn't get too turgid and tactical and that both sides at least try to play a bit of running rugby, conditions allowing.

Underdogs who really cares. Its arrogance to say that team team you support will win, but we all claim that our team is the underdog as it makes you seem humble. As if claiming you're the better team makes you more vulnerable to defeat. Or arrogant.

Ireland are 6N champions but aren't playing particularly well. However, they know their game well.. England are playing ok and have won 2 games but against apparent weaker teams. Under slight transition under a new coach to. I'll say its a level playing field and should be a cracker! Home advantage or quality from the bench might help England. If Ireland execute their game plan perfectly, then they could win...

It's gonna be tight... I might be wrong...

Arrogance confuses me somewhat when it comes to supporters or fans. Personally I don't understand how someone can behave in an arrogant manner when they themselves had absolutely no hand in what it is they feel arrogant about. Cheering on a team from the stands doesn't count IMO. I can understand players or coaches feeling arrogant if they played a part in a team's success or progress. Surely the most fans can and should feel is pride and not arrogance ;)

You can tell that you support Scotland.

Don't worry if/when you do win something again other than the wooden spoon, that Arrogance will come.

Rumours are if Payne is out McCloskey will start with Henshaw at 13. Earls at 11.

Josh Van Der Flier set to start at 7. Ross to start at 3. Healy on bench as is Dillane.

Rob Kearney
Trimble
Henshaw
McCloskey
Earls
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
Van Der Flier
Stander
Ryan
Toner
Ross
Best
McGrath

Strauss
Healy
White
Dillane
TOD
Reddan
Madigan
Zebo

That the rumour. If Payne fit he will replace McCloskey

You can tell that you support Scotland.

Don't worry if/when you do win something again other than the wooden spoon, that Arrogance will come.

Well that arrogance didn't come when we won the Davis Cup last year.

I have many kiwi friends and if any fans have a right to be arrogant it's them but they seem to follow the pride route - try it sometime ;)

Well that arrogance didn't come when we won the Davis Cup last year.

I have many kiwi friends and if any fans have a right to be arrogant it's them but they seem to follow the pride route - try it sometime ;)

Davis cup counts as a Britain win not a Scotland win it isn't the same.

Your kiwi friends must be the exceptions

Some of the most arrogant rugby fans I find are the New Zealanders, prob second to Bloody English Rugby fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts