• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018/19 Heineken Cup] Round 1: Pool 5 (13&14/10/2018)

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Montpellier v Edinburgh
1515 (IST), GGL Stadium, BT Sport/BEIN

RC Toulon v Newcastle Falcons
1515 (IST), Stade Felix-Mayol, BT Sport/FR2/BEIN​

Newcastle winning is a surprise. Even though the English Premiership has not had the best weekend, it shows the strength when the bottom side beats Toulon away.

Newcastle winning is a surprise. Even though the English Premiership has not had the best weekend, it shows the strength when the bottom side beats Toulon away.

Yes and no - Toulon have been hideously out-of-form lately and are 12th in the Top 14.

Yes and no - Toulon have been hideously out-of-form lately and are 12th in the Top 14.

To go to the South of France and win is not easy, no matter where they are in the Top 14. Newcastle have won once this season with half the stars.

To go to the South of France and win is not easy, no matter where they are in the Top 14. Newcastle have won once this season with half the stars.
Only have to look down Toulon's team sheet to show what an achievement it is, even if people just want to write it off because an English side did it.

Commentary mentioned they're the only side to win away against Toulon in Europe - presume they mean English side, but a massive feat either way. Especially with the injuries Falcons have - I like Hodgson but he's a 2nd choice scrumhalf/flyhalf, not someone you'd typically expect to start a big Euro game!

TBF Toulon aren't anywhere near the force of old, but its still huge for Newcastle. I still think the result of the weekend was Leinster but it doesn't really matter.

TBF Toulon aren't anywhere near the force of old, but its still huge for Newcastle. I still think the result of the weekend was Leinster but it doesn't really matter.
Leinster got the bonus point everyone was expecting.

Think I said to my Wasps supporting friend prior that Leinster would put 40 points on them.

Actually, Saracens won at Toulon two seasons ago, and that itself was seen as a shock at the time.
D'oh, that's literally what they said as well - I just mistyped haha.

Looking at that Falcons side it really wasn't their strongest at all.
Definitely gonna go down as one of their most memorable wins.

Great result for Newcastle. Anyone saying otherwise is full of it!

Newcastle win the Champions Cup and then get relgated...it's possible right now.

That was the biggest bounce off I've seen in years,
Absolutely put the guy into orbit

This letter of the law **** is turning the sport into a joke.
Grabbed him around elbow height and the guy tries to drop down to slip out of the tackle

This letter of the law **** is turning the sport into a joke.
Grabbed him around elbow height and the guy tries to drop down to slip out of the tackle

Yep, and the choke tackle just by Montpellier was around the neck... no difference what so ever. The laws at the moment are ********, all it has done is increase the inconsistency.

Montpellier getting away from being offside.

Although Newcastle have been bloody awful this 2nd half.

Last edited:

Latest posts