• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Japan (17/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
8YoqsOc.png

Venue: Twickenham
Time: 17:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Should be a regulation win of 10+ points. Japan have defied that, think EJ needs to persist with what he percives to be RWC combinations.

Would like to see Tuilagi and Cokanasiga given a run here. Also maybe a start for Ewels and at least a bench spot for Mercer. My slightly off the wall shout would be to put Lozowski in at 12, Farrell needs to stay at 10 now as it's where he will play. Otherwise happy with the same team as previous.

Doesn't matter what team we put in we should win If eddy does change the team it should be to give them a run out before playing them against the ozzies otherwise stay unchangex

I expect we'll put 50 points on them in an entertaining encounter.

It will be within 1 or 2 scores at half time, but I think the last 20 or so, England will run away with it.

Hoping to see a younger team;

Moon / VRR
George / Taylor / LCD
Williams / Sinckler
Itoje
Lawes
Shields / Wilson
Underhill
Mercer

Vellacott
Farrell
May
Lozowski/ Williams
Slade / Marchant
Cokanasiga
Daly

LCD / Taylor / George
Moon / VRR
Williams / Sinckler
Ewels
Shields / Wilson
Care
Ford
Nowell

I expect we'll put 50 points on them in an entertaining encounter.

It will be within 1 or 2 scores at half time, but I think the last 20 or so, England will run away with it.

Hoping to see a younger team;

Moon / VRR
George / Taylor / LCD
Williams / Sinckler
Itoje
Lawes
Shields / Wilson
Underhill
Mercer

Vellacott
Farrell
May
Lozowski/ Williams
Slade / Marchant
Cokanasiga
Daly

LCD / Taylor / George
Moon / VRR
Williams / Sinckler
Ewels
Shields / Wilson
Care
Ford
Nowell
Wishful thinking

Never want more than 1 change per unit; and at least one unit unchanged (starting benchers doesn't really count).
Moon, George, Williams
Lawes, Ewels
Wilson, Underhill, Mercer

Youngs, Ford
Te'o, Slade
May, Cockanasiga, Daly

Taylor, Hepburn, Sinckler, Itoje, Shields
Care, Tuilagi/Lozowski, Nowell

Never want more than 1 change per unit; and at least one unit unchanged (starting benchers doesn't really count).
Moon, George, Williams
Lawes, Ewels

Youngs, Ford
Te'o, Slade
May, Cockanasiga, Daly

If your going full experimental then velocot and Smith at 9 and 10

If your going full experimental then velocot and Smith at 9 and 10
Vellacot for the bench would be a decent call - but... I wouldn't go full experimental - indeed, I specified as much in my first line.

Moon, George, Williams
Lawes, Ewels

Youngs, Ford
Te'o, Slade
May, Cockanasiga, Daly

Neither of the Captains in the side. I can see one of them being dropped, not both.

Neither of the Captains in the side. I can see one of them being dropped, not both.
George deserves to show that he can bounce back from his horror show; whilst we need to give 3rd choice options some gametime - I wouldn't object to Hartley being there, or starting, if it was for your reasoning. Given the lack of obvious choice for leadership in that team - then you're probably right, Hartley on to start, and no look at a 3rd choice hooker.
Ford deserves a shot at not being undermined at everything by Farrell - so he needs to be starting with a real IC, and doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder thinking that his first mistake bring Farrell on to put him back in his box - also why for this game only, I'd be happy with no FH cover on the bench (Slade covers in event of injury).

Besides which, of course, Farrell should be nowhere near the captaincy - he's absolutely terrible at speaking to the ref and a poor tactical decision maker; despite being (or looking like) a good leader of men on the front foot (he doesn't seem so strong at picking players up after a mistake)

Would like to see Tuilagi and Cokanasiga given a run here. Also maybe a start for Ewels and at least a bench spot for Mercer. My slightly off the wall shout would be to put Lozowski in at 12, Farrell needs to stay at 10 now as it's where he will play. Otherwise happy with the same team as previous.

I think Jones will rest Farrell for this one. He was pretty banged up after the Boks game and was carrying an injury, so he'll no doubt be even more sore after Saturday's game. Changes certainly needed just to rest players after 2 big tests. Certainly need to finish the Autumn on a high by battering a dispirited Wallabies side and give the side momentum for the 6Ns.

If Tuilagi is fit....if!

I want to see
Moon
Hartley
Williams
Itoje
Lawes
Wilson
Underhill
Mercer

Youngs
Ford
May
Farrell
Tuilagi
Nowell
Daly

Hepburn
George
Sinkler
Ewels
Shields
Care
Slade/teo
Cockanasiga

No VRR yet, let him get prem game time amd push for 6N. Mercer to get experience if they have mercer and wilson ay 6 or 8 or vice versa as mercers main position.

If we don't start some youngsters / fringe players it's a wasted opportunity. Mercer, Big Joe for sure. Perhaps Ewels.

Can we bring in players from outside the squad? If so there should also be openings at 2 and 9 at least. Maybe have a look at Schonert and VRR too.

I don't think Eddie will change much; we seem to have a team that, despite a massive relative deficit of caps, ran the All Blacks close.

Slade and Te'o looked better, but still not firing on all cylinders. Te'o in particular looks like he needs more time, and I'm not aware of any 12s that are really knocking on the door. Loz maybe, but I don't think we'll see Loz-Slade.

The back row has been strong (well, perhaps bar Shields), but they've got a total of, what, a dozen caps between them?

Moon has looked solid, but Eddie might want to give Hepburn time to kick on; he's certainly given Slade enough chances. He might start Williams over Sinkler, but I think he'll stick to his guns.

If Tuilagi is fit, he'll make the bench, and maybe Mercer can claw back his slot, but that's all the changes I could see happening. It's going to be about giving the newer players a solid chance to bed in, not mixing it up.

Quite a fan of that, to be honest; it seems like there's an opportunity to build some depth in our weaker positions, and build a gameplan that doesn't rely on the Ford-Faz axis.

Loz/Tuilagi could be mega,
Seeing as Manu wasn't in the mix for NZ it looks like his "nothing serious" twinge is a little more serious than they're letting on

Loz/Tuilagi could be mega,
Seeing as Manu wasn't in the mix for NZ it looks like his "nothing serious" twinge is a little more serious than they're letting on
Sure you're right.

But if he plays against Japan he should be able to bully them all day long and look fantastic. But if he does, so what? His injury record, very sadly, now tells me that we can only ever look at him as an occasional bonus from the bench. It would just be plain foolish to build a game plan / selection around him.

Maybe that sounds harsh, but I think it's where we are now.

Latest posts