• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Japan (17/11/18)

I,m quite surprise that a few on here have already written him off as a 13 based on playing there for only half an hour yesterday ,almost entirely on the back foot and where he put in a good defensive shift (T 8-0). It was a shame he couldn't spend the whole game there to show his attacking prowess too. I hope he gets another chance there (maybe from 23) next week.

Couldn't agree more.

I,m quite surprise that a few on here have already written him off as a 13 based on playing there for only half an hour yesterday ,almost entirely on the back foot and where he put in a good defensive shift (T 8-0). It was a shame he couldn't spend the whole game there to show his attacking prowess too. I hope he gets another chance there (maybe from 23) next week.
Like Slade at 12. He's perfect for it... on paper, but hasn't shown it when he's had the chance on Grass.
I do think yesterday was a big audition for him in terms of the RWC squad.

I feel that IF Nowell is now considered not an option at OC, then he needs to re-find his form in order to go to the RWC. We'll take what? 4 from May, Daly, Watson, Cokanasiga, Brown and Nowell; especially if Slade is considered an emergency option at FB, and JJ the same on the wing.

May and Daly are nailed on starters.
Watson is nailed on to go if he recovers properly (and wouldn't need to play in the 6N to do so, undecided if I'd want him starting alongside May and Daly as it's a bit one-trick, albeit one hell of a good trick!). I think Brown's presence in Japan depends on Watson's recovery, if Watson goes, Brown doesn't; and vice versa.

Which means that Nowell and Coka are fighting for one shirt - one of those scare opponents, whilst having plenty to work on. Nowell is very effective, but I think he has opponents licking their lips, rather than scared. If he'd looked good at OC, then his versatility could have put him in prime position, but he just blew his audition on the day, whilst his opponent was one of our best players.

I would like JC to get a few games to see if he can up his game and make the WC lol
As said above Daley may and Watson are nailed on

So seeing as I was smashed while watching yesterday...

Why was Slade brought on so early?
Was Ashton terrible or Nowel or Loz?

Why was Slade brought on so early?
Was Ashton terrible or Nowel or Loz?

I believe Ashton was injured. Though he was also terrible. Looked completely disinterested.

Like Slade at 12. He's perfect for it... on paper, but hasn't shown it when he's had the chance on Grass.
I do think yesterday was a big audition for him in terms of the RWC squad.

I feel that IF Nowell is now considered not an option at OC, then he needs to re-find his form in order to go to the RWC. We'll take what? 4 from May, Daly, Watson, Cokanasiga, Brown and Nowell; especially if Slade is considered an emergency option at FB, and JJ the same on the wing.

May and Daly are nailed on starters.
Watson is nailed on to go if he recovers properly (and wouldn't need to play in the 6N to do so, undecided if I'd want him starting alongside May and Daly as it's a bit one-trick, albeit one hell of a good trick!). I think Brown's presence in Japan depends on Watson's recovery, if Watson goes, Brown doesn't; and vice versa.

Which means that Nowell and Coka are fighting for one shirt - one of those scare opponents, whilst having plenty to work on. Nowell is very effective, but I think he has opponents licking their lips, rather than scared. If he'd looked good at OC, then his versatility could have put him in prime position, but he just blew his audition on the day, whilst his opponent was one of our best players.

You seem to have come to a very quick decisive opinion that Nowell isn't an option at 13, like i said, based on 30 mins, almost entirely on the backfoot, where he put in a good defensive shift ( T8-0). What from that 30 mins ,made you say he blew his audition ?

I think EJ is looking at Nowell as the 23 option and wants to see how he covers 13,as well as wing and possibly FB.
Nowell must wonder whats going on. He was universally praised as one of Englands better players against SA (EJ even said he was terrific), then gets dropped for next game for Ashton strangely, before being picked to play out of his usual position for next game.

"Maybe we got seduced after scoring an easy try in the first few minutes," he said in reference to Danny Care's third-minute score.

"The players subconsciously think it's going to be easy and that showed in our attitude and effort, which was disappointing.

Think EJ's pretty bang on about what happened.

You seem to have come to a very quick decisive opinion that Nowell isn't an option at 13, like i said, based on 30 mins, almost entirely on the backfoot, where he put in a good defensive shift ( T8-0). What from that 30 mins ,made you say he blew his audition ?

I think EJ is looking at Nowell as the 23 option and wants to see how he covers 13,as well as wing and possibly FB.
Nowell must wonder whats going on. He was universally praised as one of Englands better players against SA (EJ even said he was terrific), then gets dropped for next game for Ashton strangely, before being picked to play out of his usual position for next game.
But I didn't say Nowell isn't an option at 13. I even added emphasis to the word "IF", and o of claimed that he blew his audition... in comparison to Cokanasiga in his audition. I've also seen Nowell play OC for more than his 30 minutes yesterday.
It'd be a bit wierd for me to write him off at OC after 30 minutes, when I've been proposing him at OC for the last 3-4 years.

For the record, I've also not stopped proposing Slade as the answer at 12 either - despite never having looked good there on grass.
However, the RWC is just around the corner, and such decision need to be made now, and there's only so many minutes of international rugby left beforehand to get any newcomers accustomed to it.

Nowell's not a rotation option at OC.
Need to give up on the 3-lock strategy

What does that mean then?

And you didnt answer the question i asked. Why did he blow his audition?

Last edited:
Forgotten I'd written that, call it anyway of the moment over-reaction. A bit calmer, and, for that first half; I wouldn't want to judge anyone with 2 numbers on their back in terms of attack; though I'd argue that the Lozowski & Nowell midfield looks decidedly dodgy in defence.

He blew his audition in comparison to his direct competition for a RWC place - but then you know that, because it's the third time I've said it this morning.

Forgotten I'd written that, call it anyway of the moment over-reaction. A bit calmer, and, for that first half; I wouldn't want to judge anyone with 2 numbers on their back in terms of attack; though I'd argue that the Lozowski & Nowell midfield looks decidedly dodgy in defence.

He blew his audition in comparison to his direct competition for a RWC place - but then you know that, because it's the third time I've said it this morning.

His "audition" lasted 30 mins, on the back foot virtually all of it and made 8 tackles ,missing none.
I'm not really sure what more he could do in the circumstances.
I can only ask you again, how do you see that as "blowing it".

Nowell's destiny is jack of all trades bench, and perhaps not even that. People keep touting him as a 13 or a 15 but he's not a club regular in either position. On the wing we have quicker, and now bigger options.

When Watson comes back it'd be easy to see 3 of him, Daly, May and Joe starting with the other on the bench. Joe's raw but he brings something different, something that we need, and is worth investing in. If you want any of these to cover OC I'd go Daly all day long. It's not that Nowell's a bad player at all, it's just that the others have stronger USPs.

Nowell's destiny is jack of all trades bench, and perhaps not even that. People keep touting him as a 13 or a 15 but he's not a club regular in either position. On the wing we have quicker, and now bigger options.

When Watson comes back it'd be easy to see 3 of him, Daly, May and Joe starting with the other on the bench. Joe's raw but he brings something different, something that we need, and is worth investing in. If you want any of these to cover OC I'd go Daly all day long. It's not that Nowell's a bad player at all, it's just that the others have stronger USPs.

That's a pretty fair summary, sometimes a player can have an Ok game which Noel probably did but if there is strong competition and you are already behind in the pecking order you need to really have a special performance to put yourself in the mix which Noel didn't do.

But this Nowel at OC depends a lot on where Faly ends up for England. I get the feeling Jones wants to know if Daly can okay FB (if Watson was injured) and if Nowel can seriously cover OC from the bench.

If Daly is a wing then it's JJ and Slade to cover 13 directly then Nowel as cover if needed.

If he's seen as 13 then either JJ or Slade aren't needed in the squad.

But this Nowel at OC depends a lot on where Faly ends up for England. I get the feeling Jones wants to know if Daly can okay FB (if Watson was injured) and if Nowel can seriously cover OC from the bench.

If Daly is a wing then it's JJ and Slade to cover 13 directly then Nowel as cover if needed.

If he's seen as 13 then either JJ or Slade aren't needed in the squad.

Fitness permitting, JJ is surely our first choice 13. Proven internationally, good defensive organiser and, if given the right ball, as strong in attack as anyone. Happy for Daly to cover him, but Nowell's a long way behind those 2. Then there's the spectre from Leicester....

Latest posts