• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs New Zealand 10/11/18

Nope....."any player in the tackle" means exactly what it says, unlike a ruck where it is your own player

Fair enough... I was being thrown by the foremost part of the player actually being considered hindmost.... if you get what I mean.

Is Ashton actually offside in this picture? There's a line on the pitch that you can use to gauge it; the offside line looks to be a foot or so past the grass line, Ashton appears to also be a foot or so past the same line. I think he's still offside there, but not so far out as to deserve a 'LOL'. I'm assuming the touch judge there is in a perfect position to check, too.

Separately, with the 'hindmost part' wording, could a player stick a leg/arm out whilst on the ground to shift the offside line back a couple of feet? (Assuming they don't mind getting a bit of 'accidental' trampling on said limb!)

I think I'm theory yes, but in practice it doesn't happen. Most D-lines creep up and especially the further wide they are from the actual ruck, most of the time it isn't called as it disrupts the flow of the game. Like a lot of obstruction too. Generally those things are called a lot tighter if they are used to get a try, then they tend to review and call back. Read was hit with a solid tackle right before Barret scores his try, it's not called as BB scores. Refs won't call everything.

At the end of that day, Eng went out 15-0 up in 25mins then couldn't score again, that's why they lost, not for one (correct) decision near the death. Review what you did well and what you can improve on instead of dwelling on one ruck.

Is Ashton actually offside in this picture? There's a line on the pitch that you can use to gauge it; the offside line looks to be a foot or so past the grass line, Ashton appears to also be a foot or so past the same line. I think he's still offside there, but not so far out as to deserve a 'LOL'. I'm assuming the touch judge there is in a perfect position to check, too.

Separately, with the 'hindmost part' wording, could a player stick a leg/arm out whilst on the ground to shift the offside line back a couple of feet? (Assuming they don't mind getting a bit of 'accidental' trampling on said limb!)
I'd assume the guys right next to the ruck are the best placed to see what the offside line is and he is definitely in front of them

offside.JPG

Lol.jpg

I assume someone in a collapsed scrum is now allowed to tackle the scrum half without the ball in the final minute?

Guards don't generally stand right up on the offside line unless they are on their own goal line or trying to charge a kick down.

It was a top Test Match. The rain, the crowd and their ferocious passion favoured England. However, just short of half time, when the English winger celebrated a Riko Ioane knock on, as if he'd (the English winger) just scored the winning try, that I wondered if the English were wound up a notch too tight. He looked like an Argentinian. The passion and the crowd will only take you so far against a good team.
Re the All Blacks try - Why did Farrell not come forward to help tackle Crotty when he made the initial thrust? Farrell's brave so I can only think it was planned that he hang back (maybe fearing the grubber) and if so was a huge tactical error on England's part - leading directly to the try.

Lol.jpg

I assume someone in a collapsed scrum is now allowed to tackle the scrum half without the ball in the final minute?
That's what you took from that moment?

It was hilarious.

Underhill attached by just his hand standing between the half and the 5/8 preventing the clearance. The referee actually trying to push him back onto the scrum while shouting at him to stay bound. Then Matt Todd pulling him back in.

The uglisest collapsed scrum in test history with about 10 penalisable actions occuring all over the place. Just reset it Jerome.

What a mess.

https://g.redditmedia.com/Rx0hy3Ytj...nted=false&s=04ebf047dc62d62f5543fc466004f08a

A very interesting match.

Lived up to the cliche "a game of two halves".

Almost had an old school test match feel to it, with the conditions and the tactical responses by both teams. Being a bit old now, I quite liked the old school feel.

Can we not get in some sort of stupid who broke laws most and got away with dick measuring contest.
Yeah because England lose this contest too. New Zealand always break the laws the most, and they get away with it the most too. Part of the reason why they are the best, they know how and when to bend the (figurative) line.

Yeah because England lose this contest too. New Zealand always break the laws the most, and they get away with it the most too. Part of the reason why they are the best, they know how and when to bend the (figurative) line.

kinda like Aussie cricket aye? ;)o_O

If he's offside it's bugger all. I'd say he's inline with the ball.

I'd assume the guys right next to the ruck are the best placed to see what the offside line is and he is definitely in front of them

View attachment 6943
Just use the grass as your line of reference (assuming it's straight of course). Based on that he looks to be either onside, or off by a few centimeters at best.

Since we're posting pictures of critical offside situations that the TMO decides "not" to call back, then what about this one when England decided to opt for a line out instead of kicking 3 points. No TMO intervention here. Right on the Abs goal line - no less.

I see 5 ABs clearly not behind the last foot of the ruck (the goal line). One of them is Savea, who is not even bound to the side of the ruck, and he becomes the first tackler.

The ensuing pass from Itoje, was knocked on by Sinclar. No penalty. NZ scrum. Cleared down field. No questions asked.

My point of all this is that the offside line at ruck is never adhered to, by either side, so when it does get called in a situation that changes the result, then it seems a hypocritical by the officials, particularly when a borderline decision (on the field) is overruled.

I simply scanned the video for 30 seconds to find this one instance. It happens at nearly every breakdown. Rarely is everyone behind the last foot or body part on the ground.

absoff2.jpg absoff3.jpg absoff4.jpg

Yes clearly those arrows point to excellence.

On a serious note those pictures also show Barrett, Smith and Retallick mucking around doing nothing.

After allowing the ABs to have a third of their side offside at the breakdown (above), the refs then miss what seemed a blatant interference with the catcher at the next lineout. Not sure if its Barrett, but is he allowed to drag the arm of the catcher and cause a knock on? I really suspect not.

In the ensuing scrum, Aaron (Freddie Mercury) Smith did no less than retrieve the scrum put in from out of the England Front row's feet after he inadvertently played it off the AB loose heads knee (collapsed knee). Jaco Peyper was gonna have a say, but remembered the lions in New Zealand and thought, **** that!

On such margins - called and otherwise - are test matches decided. I count 3 missed violations in the space of 5 minutes or less. Yes but Lawes WAS offside, and that it the one that mattered - LOL

absoff5.jpg absoff6.jpg absoff7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts