• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England vs Ireland (23/02/20)

A 6-2 split with Manu Tuilagi all people returning from injury is just asking for trouble.

Hey now - Henry Slade is also returning from a long injury and hasn't played in forever

Has JJ ever played on the wing? I know manu has 1 time against nz
Very very early on his career he dabbled there, and he's covered a few times since (I think he might have started there for England once?) but he should never be in contention to start there, realistically

I told you all Jones is a prick and he proves it once again. I have no respect for him. Would rather have a Watford under 5s coach than this prick, at least we'd have some players playing in the right positions.

I dislike that 23 as much as any but you might want to tone it down a notch man this isn't football.

Called someone man, point becomes null and void.

On topic. I really don't like the 23. I have a feeling my day at Twickenham won't be one to remember.

Very very early on his career he dabbled there, and he's covered a few times since (I think he might have started there for England once?) but he should never be in contention to start there, realistically

Well I was a bit out:

2013 - Jonathan Joseph's last start on the wing came back in January 2013 when he was playing for @LiRFC, he has never started a game on the wing for England. Shuffle.
https://twitter.com/OptaJonny/status/1230815662588801024

Being charitable I assume there must be some truth in the Furbank injury story. But that's where my charity ends. Muppet.

A 7 at 8, a 5 at 6, a 13 at 11, a 10 at 12 and a failed 15 at 15. 2 locks on the bench to complement the 3 in starting 15 with a scarcely fit Slade having to cover 6 positions.

Whoa, hold on, hold on......the above's total knee jerk, thinking deeper it's a master stroke beyond belief. There's no logical way that team should win, he's just put all the pressure on Ireland and we know they can't hack being favourites. The bloke makes Einstein look stupid, total genius!!

13 Elliot Daly
14 Jonny May
13 Manu Tuilagi
10 Owen Farrell
13 Jonathan Joseph
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Joe Marler
2 Jamie George
3 Kyle Sinckler
4 Maro Itoje
5 George Kruis
4 Courtney Lawes
7 Sam Underhill
7 Tom Curry

Finishers
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
1 Ellis Genge
3 Will Stuart
4 Joe Launchbury
5 Charlie Ewels
7 Ben Earl
9 Willi Heinz
13 Henry Slade

The Farrell one as 10 or 12 is debatable, but shown as 10 to make the point.
Eddie makes it very hard to not feel worried.
Maybe his dream is a full XV made just of locks and centres.

"Right mate, we're gonna have 5 locks in the matchday squad."

"But Eddie, there are only 2 lock positions."

"Don't you worry about that. I've got a plan."

"Have you at least got 2 fly halves in the squad?"

"Yeah, they'll both be on the pitch at the same time."

"Ok so one centre then?"

"Nah, 2 centres, one of them can just shuffle to the wing."

"Seriously? But you at least have some competent catchers in the backs right?"

"Yeah we got Johnny May, he's a right speedster, he'll cover the entire back field on his own"

"How does that work?"

"Obvious, May catches and throws to Daly. He runs it to the line and then distributes it back to May who's caught back up. I told you he's quick right?"

"So what about the centre on the wing?"

"Oh he'll just move about and run through the middle, he's a centre for a reason ya know."

"But one of your centres is a bit injury prone, what happens if he gets injured?"

"No worries, another one just came back from injury, he'll do."

"And if 3 players in the backs get injured, what then?"

"Mate I told you at the start I've got a plan. There's a reason I'm bringing 5 locks, they can play anywhere."

On a more serious note, that team actually makes me want to miss the game slightly. Ireland are favourites now. They will really target us aerially and look to disrupt the breakdown with such an unbalanced back row. Honestly I think EJ reads these forums and picks teams just to troll us and sit and read the comments.

On a more serious note, that team actually makes me want to miss the game slightly.
Definitely taken the sheen off my weekend.

I'll still watch it, but I'm not excited at all, and I think we'll get stuffed now (I thought we'd lose before but now I'm imagining the France game without the May consolation tries)

It's it wrong I am actually willing Ireland to absolutely Tonk us on Sunday, in the hope it forces change and sensible selection policy.

It's it wrong I am actually willing Ireland to absolutely Tonk us on Sunday, in the hope it forces change and sensible selection policy.

I wouldn't complain in the long term. This squad is baffling to the extent that it seems almost like he wants out sooner than the 2021 expiry of his contract.

I'm not so sure to be fair. If Ireland take advantage of our back three's positioning (which they definitely will) and repeatedly force us to throw line outs in our own 22 then Toner could have a field day.
True, lineout is a concern but he's worse than Lawes at carrying and rucking, so that weakens them a fair bit in those departments

The forecast's for light rain and showers and I'll be amazed if Sexton doesn't put up incessant bombs on our back 3. And in the likely event of one or more of them having a mare we have no-one to replace them.

If I was Ire I'd be parking Toner on Itoje in the line outs. Itoje's obvs much more athletic but 6'11 v 6'5 is a big difference and means that Itoje and George have absolutely no margin for error creating extra pressure.

Isnt it bad when Daly at 15 and youngs still playing is the least of our worries...

5 at 6
7 at 8
10 at 12
13 at 14
13 at 15

So id have. EJ - Me(if same 23)

Marler - Genge
George - LCD
Sinks - Sinks
Itoje - Itoje
Kruis - Kruis
Lawes - Underhill
Underhil - Curry
Curry. - Earl
Youngs - Youngs
Ford. - Faz
May - May
Faz - Manu
Manu. - JJ
JJ - Daly
Daly - Slade

LCD - George
Genge - Marler
Stusrt - Stuart
Launch - Launch
Ewels - Ewels
Earl. - Lawes
Heinz - Heinz
Slade - Ford

So thats my 23 using the same 23 EJ used but i think it is alot more balanced, i mean no back row cover but EJ doesnt always use all finisher anyway.

To me
Genge LCD Sinks sounds good and very abrasive.

Itoje kruis. Just works

Underhill curry earl. Very mobile, 1 beast of a tackler, 1 out and out jackler who is good all round. And the csrrying and pace of earl with experience at 8.

Faz manu JJ. Sounds good and alot of attacking threat.

May Slade Daly has alot of pace and skill as well as players that have played that positoon well before.

Ive given EJ bennefit of the doubt but this is abit far. Any thoughts

Latest posts