• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 17th 2010, Second Tri Nations Test

Were the Boks Ripped Off?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, even though Bakkies is now an outcast, and rightly so, did anybody see that one run of his where the New Zealander tried to tackle him head-on, and Bakkies literally lifted him with one arm and ran with him up in the air? That was incredible power...

So, even though Bakkies is now an outcast, and rightly so, did anybody see that one run of his where the New Zealander tried to tackle him head-on, and Bakkies literally lifted him with one arm and ran with him up in the air? That was incredible power...
I'm pretty sure that was Conrad - possibly one of the lighter men in world rugby. :lol:

If anything, it showed C.Smith's great tenacity in defence, rather than Botha's strength.

it showed C.Smith's great tenacity in defence, rather than Botha's strength.

LOL. Really. It was a **** attempt at a tackle. Sugar coat that all you want. Tenacity in defense is what Joost vd westhuizen did to tackle Lomu in the 1995 RWC. What Smith did was jump into the air and hope for the best. Tenacity in defense. That's funny.

LOL. Really. It was a **** attempt at a tackle. Sugar coat that all you want. Tenacity in defense is what Joost vd westhuizen did to tackle Lomu in the 1995 RWC. What Smith did was jump into the air and hope for the best. Tenacity in defense. That's funny.
Mate, I wasn't sugar coating or making excuses. Simply saying that it's not really that big of a deal if Bakkies "Iron Man" Botha lifts one of the 'scrawniest' looking men on the world of rugby. That comment was merely to exemplify and contrast the fact that what Botha did, wasn't really anything to be amazed at.

I mean it's the same as me boasting that I fend off a 10 year old in a game of rugby.

If anything was a sugar-coat, or attempt at a glorification, it was in that of pointing out the fact that Bakkies did that to Conrad, in the first place. ;)

Um, he lifted an 80kg guy with one arm and ran with him. I Haven't seen that before on a rugby field. Except maybe those freak Tuilagi guys.

Very harsh. It wasn't a bad attempt at a tackle at all, Smith definitely didn't "jump"
I have the match saved on my computer, Smith tried to perform a copybook tackle aiming for the hips but Bakkies bent down and got his arms (which were crossed over the ball like Lomu used to do) in the way. Conrad just grabbed what he could and ended up tackling Bakkies' elbows and got lifted into the air before dragging him down with the help of some cover defenders. it was actually a very good tackle attempt from Conrad, technically sound, you could argue that he contacted a tad high but it wasnt a "**** attempt".

It was a great display of raw strength from Botha, but equally it was a good showing from Smith. Bakkies had a run up and Smith managed to not only avoid getting bunted Lomu style but he also held on and got him to ground.

Um, he lifted an 80kg guy with one arm and ran with him. I Haven't seen that before on a rugby field. Except maybe those freak Tuilagi guys.
How many forwards can do that? Plenty. They just don't. It was one of those circumstances where it happened that Conrad did not get a good angle, and which allowed Bakkies to do that.

Quit trying to glorify it anything more than it was mate.

Just saw the Bok team, 28 - 15 for NZ.

If we're lucky.

I don't see us scoring tries with that backline

Lies. He was pushing him with both arms and his run lasted for a grand total of 3 steps, possibly 4 if we're being generous.

Last edited:
Lies. He was pushing him with both arms and his run lasted for a grand total of 3 steps, possibly 4 if we're being generous.
That, and 80kilos really isn't all that heavy (in professional contact sports). These guys (forwards at least) really are just beating their own chests if they think that's an impressive feat.

In world rugby, 80 kilos is on the tail end of the curve.

Quit trying to glorify it anything more than it was mate.

Ok, i have my opinion on the fact that i think it was quite a feat. Does that offend you? Stop calling me mate as well please, i don't like it.

That, and 80kilos really isn't all that heavy (in professional contact sports). These guys (forwards at least) really are just beating their own chests if they think that's an impressive feat.

In world rugby, 80 kilos is on the tail end of the curve.

Jesus Christ. Fine, He did sweet **** all special. Every other forward in the world can also do that, and Conrad Smith is God Almighty.

Jesus Christ. Fine, He did sweet **** all special. Every other forward in the world can also do that, and Conrad Smith is God Almighty.

Ok, i have my opinion on the fact that i think it was quite a feat. Does that offend you? Stop calling me mate as well please, i don't like it.
:lol: No one's getting offended...dude(?). Simply voicing our own opinions.

Again, this is by no means endorsing Smith's great ability, just saying is all. No need for the sarcasm. No one here is (or should be) getting butthurt over this. So don't be. :)

Well, I have to admit I was impressed. Smith did will to eventully tackle no doubt, but while watching the match, I was pretty impressed. Yes Smith is a fairly light guy, but he's not the sort of player to let that disadvantage him, so it was still impressive. Had he done it to someone like Aaron Cruden, I may have been less impressed. I think people shouldn't start dismissing Botha's ability. He has plenty of talent and strength. Pitty he's a mindless thug to go with it.

Is it just me or is this forum starting to get a little tense lately?

Where did all of the other South African posters go? I'm the only one here lately. Gay.

Is it just me or is this forum starting to get a little tense lately?

I'm with you Nick, it seems like everyone is treading on eggshells... waiting for the next big boil-over perhaps.

[Edit] It is Tri-Nations time! ;)

Well done Blacks, on the day to quick, to strong, to smart, way hungirier. Hope the Boks turn up for the next game, or it will be a role reversal of last year.

Where did all of the other South African posters go? I'm the only one here lately. Gay.

If you recall there was a contingent of Saffas that felt the need to twirl their cocks about and tell everyone how unstoppable their team/players was/were (I realise you weren't one of them), when the Boks got pumped they decided to scuttle away en masse. If SA wins this match i wouldn't be at all surprised if they come back and were conveniently busy all of this week ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts