• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

How's Itoje been playing at club level recently? I must admit, I used to see him on the team sheet and be a bit like oh yeah we're going to have to deal with him now I'm not bothered by him in the slightest.
Been playing really well tbf to him, looks better than has in a few seasons - not sure whether that's because Sarries are playing poorly so he's standing out more or what, will see next week when the 6N starts - though the papers were all saying Borthwick was telling him not to play his natural game during the RWC/last 6N, so I attribute that to his form dropping off (hopefully SB has wised up now)

This is not the news I wanted but hoping Borthwick can stifle his game. I was enjoying Itoje looking like a slightly more mobile Beard.

Been playing really well tbf to him, looks better than has in a few seasons - not sure whether that's because Sarries are playing poorly so he's standing out more or what, will see next week when the 6N starts - though the papers were all saying Borthwick was telling him not to play his natural game during the RWC/last 6N, so I attribute that to his form dropping off (hopefully SB has wised up now)
He had a health issue aswell...have to wonder how much that contributed to his performances...and his better ones now he has that under control.

I mean that's a sacking offence in itself. Asking someone to play differently to what gets them picked in the first place is nuts. If they're individually brilliant but they don't fit what the coach wants then don't select them and pick someone who does.

We don't know what the health issues were and hopefully he's properly over them. But there was definitely an extended period where he was being picked on reputation.

Wonder if Dingwall at 12 might turn into a Tompkins type. Seldom the star but mostly a solid enough roundish peg for a round hole.

I mean that's a sacking offence in itself. Asking someone to play differently to what gets them picked in the first place is nuts. If they're individually brilliant but they don't fit what the coach wants then don't select them and pick someone who does.
In that case, we need to sack every professional coach at every level of the game, ever.
Rugby's a team game, a coach's job is get the best out of team picked on the day - not to get the best individual performances out of the various individuals selected.

Itoje being asked to play likes any other lock, is still a better lock than any of the alternatives. It may not be the best use of Itoje, but it may be the best for the team.

Of course, my opinion is that we've wasted Itoje recently by neutering his point of difference in order to be a superior version of any-other-lock; and it's one of many ways I've disagreed with Borthwick, but that doesn't make it a sackable offence IMO.

In that case, we need to sack every professional coach at every level of the game, ever.
Rugby's a team game, a coach's job is get the best out of team picked on the day - not to get the best individual performances out of the various individuals selected.

Itoje being asked to play likes any other lock, is still a better lock than any of the alternatives. It may not be the best use of Itoje, but it may be the best for the team.

Of course, my opinion is that we've wasted Itoje recently by neutering his point of difference in order to be a superior version of any-other-lock; and it's one of many ways I've disagreed with Borthwick, but that doesn't make it a sackable offence IMO.

Clearly, well apparently not, I was questioning SB's judgement, not literally calling for him to be sacked…..

Otherwise, we're largely agreeing. Although whether the team being better for Itoje being used differently is pretty arguable. Of course the team comes first and its about melding players, but the general point about asking players to not play to type stands.

Six Nations season is, once again, upon us
This thread will be locked until post tournament just so we don't start having the same convos in multiple places etc.

It says he was only involved with part of the 6N, but I can't remember if it was the start or end?
If it was the end, and he was involved with the coach/player revolt (as he's coaching advisor) then making him a permanent addition is a great move

It says he was only involved with part of the 6N, but I can't remember if it was the start or end?
If it was the end, and he was involved with the coach/player revolt (as he's coaching advisor) then making him a permanent addition is a great move

It was the start - 'first four weeks' which I guess maybe covered the first three games.

Wasn't he involved more in our attacking ruck work over any form of shape. It did feel our ruck speed was quicker and our players were looking to place the ball quicker once tackled. I may be wrong but that side of our game impressed me from the start of the 6N.

Latest posts