• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Problem England have is that Jones has pretty much been decided on his squad for Japan for the last 3 years. Yes he's occasionally had to tinker, but overall he's been very consistent in who he has picked and called up similar players for injuries. Rapava-Ruskin and Hepburn are decent enough, but they lack experience at international level as do many players who come in as cover. Decent enough may not be good enough for international level especially a year out from the world cup.

England injured squad
1. Mako
2. George(possibly out(broken nose)
4. Launchbury
5. lawes
6. robshaw
7. Simmonds
8. Billy
9. Robson
11. Yarde
12. Teo
13. JJ
14. Watson

17. Genge/obano (marler not injured but not available)
19. Isiekwe
20. Hughes

Can anyone fill in the gaps with more injured players? But we almost have a full injured pack of first team players.

Last edited:
Problem England have is that Jones has pretty much been decided on his squad for Japan for the last 3 years. Yes he's occasionally had to tinker, but overall he's been very consistent in who he has picked and called up similar players for injuries. Rapava-Ruskin and Hepburn are decent enough, but they lack experience at international level as do many players who come in as cover. Decent enough may not be good enough for international level especially a year out from the world cup.

Seems like I'm in minority but I'm looking forward to see how he picks his team. I don't want to see anyone get injured but now EJ can't play Robshaw, or his back up for Binny is always Hughes both haven't been good enough at this level for a while now and EJ can't pick them. I know the reply he's not picking Haskell or Wood. Same with the backs, interested to see how he starts Manu in now he's fi......I don't even wanna say it encase.

Seems like I'm in minority but I'm looking forward to see how he picks his team. I don't want to see anyone get injured but now EJ can't play Robshaw, or his back up for Binny is always Hughes both haven't been good enough at this level for a while now and EJ can't pick them. I know the reply he's not picking Haskell or Wood. Same with the backs, interested to see how he starts Manu in now he's fi......I don't even wanna say it encase.

At any other time I might be looking forward too, but I feel who ever gets picked will just be discarded again when the injured players are fit and if they get injured again just before the world cup we will end up with an inexperienced team because EJ refused to give players a chance unless his hand was forced.

Six weeks for Hughes, free to play Nov 20th

Can play in the Australia game so he'll inevitably named in the training squad later today

Unfortunately, yes. There's another round of European games this weekend so plenty of opportunity for our other players to get injured.

I was thinking this too, some tough physical games. We only need 3 more in key positions to complete the xv for my injured england team i posted above lol.

Not really about the squad, but seriously, the calendar needs sorting, with the high intensity games straight after each other, we are seeing so many injuries, it is harming the players careers and the fans from seeing the best playing the best.

At any other time I might be looking forward too, but I feel who ever gets picked will just be discarded again when the injured players are fit and if they get injured again just before the world cup we will end up with an inexperienced team because EJ refused to give players a chance unless his hand was forced.

Absolutely. I feel with Jones that any "new" player picked could literally have the game of their lives, solo the national anthem to national acclaim, score multiple trys, knock DGs for fun, demolish the scrum single handed, disrupt line-outs, make a bazillion tackles and more turnovers than Robshaw has made in his career and be discarded the moment the incumbent bothers to not be injured for 15 minutes.............

England's 36-man squad
Forwards (20): Tom Curry, Charlie Ewels, Jamie George, Dylan Hartley (co-captain), Alec Hepburn, Ted Hill, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Courtney Lawes, Zach Mercer, Ben Moon, Ben Morgan, Michael Rhodes, Nick Schonert, Brad Shields, Kyle Sinckler, Elliott Stooke, Sam Underhill, Harry Williams, Mark Wilson.

Backs (16): Chris Ashton, Mike Brown, Danny Care, Joe Cokanasiga, Elliot Daly, Nathan Earle, Owen Farrell (co-captain), George Ford, Alex Lozowski, Jonny May, Jack Nowell, Henry Slade, Ben Te'o, Manu Tuilagi, Richard Wigglesworth, Ben Youngs.

I thought lawes was injured?

Teo and ashton in despite not playing yet this season.

Hepburn and moon in but not VRR confuses me, i like moon but hes not internation level for me.

Good to see morgan back and mercer in.

Predicted Jones XV

1 - Hepburn
2 - George
3 - Williams
4 - Itoje
5 - Kruis
6 - Shields
7 - Curry
8 - Morgan

9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - May
12 - Farrell
13 - Tuilagi (50/50 with him or Slade)
14 - Ashton
15 - Daly

The back three could fully change dependent on Brown, but he may use Ashton as his "experience" there.

There's always got to be an injection of new blood, but as our winning streak and countless RWCs show, continuity is a massive thing. Change has to be evolution, there's no point chucking caps around like confetti.

Jones has given debuts to 27 players in 3 years so he's certainly had a good look. Interestingly of those I'd say that only Itoje and Daly are nailed on starters. All the rest are inherited.

No contingency planning would have seen him down to 5th choice LH (Mullan's injured too). In other positions, notably SH and probably 8 he is culpable.

I'm not Jones greatest fan - some of his decisions have been bizarre - but any coach struggles when half his players are knackered

I thought lawes was injured?

Teo and ashton in despite not playing yet this season.

Hepburn and moon in but not VRR confuses me, i like moon but hes not internation level for me.

Good to see morgan back and mercer in.

VRR has only just come back from an injury TBF.

All in all a good team IMO who has really put there hand up to be above Ashton TBH?
Same with Te'o (although Eastmond has put his hands up same with Mills but neither offer the crash ball option Te'o does).

Predicted Jones XV

1 - Hepburn
2 - George
3 - Williams
4 - Itoje
5 - Kruis
6 - Shields
7 - Curry
8 - Morgan

9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - May
12 - Farrell
13 - Tuilagi (50/50 with him or Slade)
14 - Ashton
15 - Daly

The back three could fully change dependent on Brown, but he may use Ashton as his "experience" there.

George won't start. Hartley will; he's co-captain.

Latest posts