• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Cokanasiga is supposed to have the highest top speed of any player at Bath (over the likes of Watson...)

I get he's big and quick but that doesnt always mean a strong defender or that he doesnt get beaten or drawn in. But its also putting him with faz and manu, it could work great and be a very strong partnership but could also have issues.

Aye, but he won't be outpaced.

His defence is OK, I can see him getting exploited out of inexperience, but I wouldn't be ******** it...

TBH when it comes to being done in defence, it's usually your ability to change direction and accelerate that is more important than top end speed. Usain Bolt would get beaten by nobody for pace but I bet even average backs would be able to wrong foot him with ease.

If you're faster you stand a better chance and you can also out do the opposition when you're on the attack, if they aren't the quickest turners. Its swings and roundabouts.

Anyway, as defensively solid as players like Nowell might be, they will still be beaten by pure pace.

It's a decent squad, although I certainly wouldn't have Ashton or Teo in it.

I think there are more deserving players for those places. Olo, Bassett or Lexington spring to mind to be in place of Ashton, and anyone instead of Teo.

Pack looks strong, but it's a shame Kvesic didn't make it.

Ah,

I suppose Ashtons experience counts for him,
Thought Olo was poor vs Ulster which won't have put a sheen on his chances. Tough to shine in a beaten side, though.

Who knows how EJs head works though

This does slightly overlook how poor the last 10 months' results has been and the level of familiarity that will be lost.

That's fair.

But to be honest I think my issue's less about the players who are / aren't available and more about the way they're being coached and managed. I don't think the best has been got out of those available.

This is sounding like Dwayne Chambers (albeit from Athletics) when he jumped to NFL. And he wasn't a success just because he was fast.
More like a Jarryd Hayne surely?

Wade is an excellent broken field runner.
Hayne was initially used as a punt/kick returner and I could see wade doing well on that.
As I said on the rumours thread: if it doesn't work then he's always got rugby to come back to, but better to try while he's still young rather than regret it forever.

Apparently he's being looked at as a running back, which surprised me cause aren't they usually built more like Manu?

Hayne was initially used as a punt/kick returner and I could see wade doing well on that.
As I said on the rumours thread: if it doesn't work then he's always got rugby to come back to, but better to try while he's still young rather than regret it forever.

Apparently he's being looked at as a running back, which surprised me cause aren't they usually built more like Manu?

Don't follow NFL that closely and don't know much about Hayne. But just my scepticism whenever sports stars try and cross over to another sport. Of course there are exceptions to the rule who do succeed. Good luck to him as you say and if he is a success then I can have me some humble pie.

Think running backs tend to be around the high 90s, nowhere near Manu size but still much larger than Wade. I'd have thought he'd be seen more as a wide receiver.

Don't follow NFL that closely and don't know much about Hayne. But just my scepticism whenever sports stars try and cross over to another sport. Of course there are exceptions to the rule who do succeed. Good luck to him as you say and if he is a success then I can have me some humble pie.
Think all the UK guys who have gone over as part of the this international player pathway are progressing well.
Alex Gray is getting at least $7600 per week just to train at Atlanta Falcons. Thats the NFL enforced minimum pay for a practise squad member.
Nuts

Latest posts