• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 2018/19 Thread

Do you remember that time where English clubs and the national team were much better than their oppositions at the breakdown?

Nah neither do I.

Looks like it's up to T.Curr to save the day

2nd in the Premiership for turnovers (despite missing a game for injury) - only 2nd behind Itoje, who has lineout steals in his turnover tally as well.

My worry is that one person can't solve the problem as English players, clubs and refs all seem to approach the breakdown differently to the rest of the world. The new laws from world rugby definitely hit England the hardest as was seen in the 6N's, but across the board we seem to still go for power over technique and then complain when it doesn't go our way. Really think English rugby needs a complete change of direction when it comes to the breakdown.

My worry is that one person can't solve the problem as English players, clubs and refs all seem to approach the breakdown differently to the rest of the world. The new laws from world rugby definitely hit England the hardest as was seen in the 6N's, but across the board we seem to still go for power over technique and then complain when it doesn't go our way. Really think English rugby needs a complete change of direction when it comes to the breakdown.

I think this has definitely been the problem, especially with the older players like Hask and Robshaw, or those players who don't know the rules of Rugby like Hughes. The playing locks in the wrong position didn't help.

Hopefully the younger players, who are easier to teach and have learnt a more modern game hopefully it won't be such a problem. Players like the Curry bros, Underhill and Mercer are all younger and appear to be much better in that area or at least more intelligent. From what I've seen of Tom Curry you could mistake him for an Southern Hemisphere 7.

I think this has definitely been the problem, especially with the older players like Hask and Robshaw, or those players who don't know the rules of Rugby like Hughes. The playing locks in the wrong position didn't help.

Hopefully the younger players, who are easier to teach and have learnt a more modern game hopefully it won't be such a problem. Players like the Curry bros, Underhill and Mercer are all younger and appear to be much better in that area or at least more intelligent. From what I've seen of Tom Curry you could mistake him for an Southern Hemisphere 7.
Is maro a second row or back row player as he has played more at 6 than 4 this season??

Can't help agree cips was standing still don't see what he could have done

I think the idea behind the rules is to stop people standing up to tackle, because it has the potential to lead to impacts with the head on both sides. Basically if you know the player could duck then you can't stand up. However it is too black and white at the moment, with Cips' red being an example.

5 minutes into the Falcons game. Williams is pure class. Should be in the squad with a real chance to be our 12.

Agreed, looks brilliant at the moment.

I expect if he played for a Saracens or Quins, he would be in the team.

5 minutes into the Falcons game. Williams is pure class. Should be in the squad with a real chance to be our 12.

But that would disrupt the Ford-Farrell axis and Eddie Jones has written that on a stone tablet, stuck it in underground vault with 24/7 armed guards in an undisclosed location. It's not going to change.

Don't we know it :(

He looked good last season for Irish, and has been great in all the games I've seen (I watch all the extended BT highlights). Reminds me of Greenwood, but more physical, has ALL the attributes and the intelligence.

Is maro a second row or back row player as he has played more at 6 than 4 this season??
Still a lock, for me.

If we had no one to play 6 he's a fine option there, but I think he's better than the other options in the 2nd row and we've got lads who deserve a shot at 6. If all our locks were fit then I'd consider him in the backrow, but not right now.

Don't we know it :(

He looked good last season for Irish, and has been great in all the games I've seen (I watch all the extended BT highlights). Reminds me of Greenwood, but more physical, has ALL the attributes and the intelligence.

Hmm - that may be overstating it a touch for now, but he's definitely a player with huge promise.

Given what's just happened with Skinner and Holmes, it's clear Wales will be on him like flies around s**t unless we actually quickly and get him capped.

I would have liked to have seen him called up as an 'apprentice' at the very least, but he should be there on merit ahead of Te'o.

Hmm - that may be overstating it a touch for now, but he's definitely a player with huge promise.

Given what's just happened with Skinner and Holmes, it's clear Wales will be on him like flies around s**t unless we actually quickly and get him capped.

I would have liked to have seen him called up as an 'apprentice' at the very least, but he should be there on merit ahead of Te'o.

Surely they would be on him like Welshman around sheep? :D

Funny how we have this reputation as being poachers when our academies are getting rinsed by other home nations sides atm.

Even in the comments on a report about Skinner playing for Scotland I saw a load of people saying we were trying to poach him from Scotland,
Some pure mental gymnastics on show

Funny how we have this reputation as being poachers when our academies are getting rinsed by other home nations sides atm.

Even in the comments on a report about Skinner playing for Scotland I saw a load of people saying we were trying to poach him from Scotland,

You have to remember that England are the only nation that poaches!

The Vellacott one was my favourite. A guy born in England, raised in England, went through an English academy and playing for an English club but represented Scotland at age grade is therefore us "poaching". I remember a Welsh person I was talking to couldn't get his head around the fact that, by that logic, Wales poached Moriarty from England.

There's always the trump card played in these situations / any situation where a double standard is applied. England have a greater population and finances therefore you shouldn't need to poach but poor wee Wales and Scotland with the population the size of a modest village need to scrounge around for every eligible player they can!

Still struggling over the Teo inclusion. I'd even reward Eastmond's good form by selecting him over Ben, he's better in the rucks than half our back-rowers!

Still struggling over the Teo inclusion. I'd even reward Eastmond's good form by selecting him over Ben, he's better in the rucks than half our back-rowers!

Agreed on teo, we need a strong carrier, oh wait we have manu. So why not give someone a chance. i mean all this talk of Williams who is on great form, putting him into the england set up now is not a bad idea, might only end up being a back up but he will learn alot and EJ might actually come to realise that having a real 12 at 12 is not such a bad idea...

Or just put Teo there, learn nothing, and potentially have to play a player who hasnt played any or very little rugby in the past year.

Latest posts