• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Wales - 06/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

I think its more his transition to rugby. Need some beef to be competent at the breakdown. Plus in person he doesn't look that big, more athletic.

That's he's no longer a scrawny teenager may have some to do with that also.

I hope "sources" are correct with the Williams/Hook - 9/10 combo. Haven't seen much of Williams but his passing sure seems more efficient than Phillips'.

Henson + Roberts pairing is sounding like "Fap Fap" material to me ;) How long we waited for this now?? I hope Gav can repay the faith thats all.

Turnbull, Warburton and Falatau also seems a nice back row, am I the only one that has the slightest optimism for a competitive match on Saturday. Everyone i've spoken to are such downers, its unbelievable..... surely we aint that bad :p

For me both games against England are a chance for Warren to test various combos and stuff out and by the time the Argentina game comes round then Gatters and Co should know what the best XV starting.

I don't realistically expect anything from Wales, the pressure will all be on England in my books.

Wales team to be announced around 12:30pm tomorrow.

Last edited:
I hope "sources" are correct with the Williams/Hook - 9/10 combo. Haven't seen much of Williams but his passing sure seems more efficient than Phillips'.

Henson + Roberts pairing is sounding like "Fap Fap" material to me ;) How long we waited for this now?? I hope Gav can repay the faith thats all.

Turnbull, Warburton and Falatau also seems a nice back row, am I the only one that has the slightest optimism for a competitive match on Saturday. Everyone i've spoken to are such downers, its unbelievable..... surely we aint that bad :p

It is a bit strange that some people are saying we wont be competitive :huh: the game in the 6 nations was pretty closely fought, and was a game that Wales could have won. Same for the game the year before, was a hell of a lot closer than the scoreline suggested. Still think that these next 2 games are huge in terms of our World Cup campaign, couple of wins against the old enemy is the perfect way to kick off our World Cup campaign if you ask me ;)

Everyone in the Amman Valley is sooooo pessimistic its unbelievable. Am i wrong to expect a competitive performance from a team that (quite frankly), shouldn't be in the position they are now. We are low in confidence, so i hope that Gatland and co don't go experimenting too crazily, we need to find solid combo's. Agree that by Argentina we should know our first XV, but in some respects we already now it, bar 1/2 positions. I think the centre pairing and scrum half positions are the "talking" point. To me at least everywhere seems settled (except for Lee Byrnes lack of form, and no replacement available - NO Stoddart is NOT a FullBack)! I think Gatland and co are praying that a combo of Henson/Roberts is effective, in saying that I hope we find a 9 that is accurate with their passing (which to my knowledge is a trait/skill that a 9 should be extremely competent at)

Looking forward to seeing how Tuilagi gets on, if he plays that is..

It is a bit strange that some people are saying we wont be competitive :huh: the game in the 6 nations was pretty closely fought, and was a game that Wales could have won. Same for the game the year before, was a hell of a lot closer than the scoreline suggested. Still think that these next 2 games are huge in terms of our World Cup campaign, couple of wins against the old enemy is the perfect way to kick off our World Cup campaign if you ask me ;)

The score did not reflect Englands dominance of the game. Wales were lucky they did not lose more heavily.

Everyone in the Amman Valley is sooooo pessimistic its unbelievable. Am i wrong to expect a competitive performance from a team that (quite frankly), shouldn't be in the position they are now. We are low in confidence, so i hope that Gatland and co don't go experimenting too crazily, we need to find solid combo's. Agree that by Argentina we should know our first XV, but in some respects we already now it, bar 1/2 positions. I think the centre pairing and scrum half positions are the "talking" point. To me at least everywhere seems settled (except for Lee Byrnes lack of form, and no replacement available - NO Stoddart is NOT a FullBack)! I think Gatland and co are praying that a combo of Henson/Roberts is effective, in saying that I hope we find a 9 that is accurate with their passing (which to my knowledge is a trait/skill that a 9 should be extremely competent at)

Haha, my mum (and my whole family too) is from the Amman Valley and she's been the biggest pessimist about this match :p
Completely agree with you though, we're a far stronger team than we were 4 years ago, there are a few positions we need to re-think though. Especially, no.9, Phillips is just not cutting it atm. Will be very happy if Lloyd Williams gets a crack at it!
Henson and Roberts have only played in the centres together once, against Italy in 2009 I think? Remember play got bogged down in the forwards a fair bit, so we didnt see much of either in open play.

Wales played poor, got a try because Hape doesn't know what he's doing and so shot off the line like gormless crack addict. Spent much of the second half on their own 5 metre line. Did scrum well though, frightening considering Jenkins and A. Jones were missing.

If one or two things had gone Wales's way then we'd have scraped a win imo. Most glaring one was a cross-field kick to Stoddard that he only just didnt get, if he was just that bit taller (or even better, was George North) he'd have been in for a try.

Wales played poor, got a try because Hape doesn't know what he's doing and so shot off the line like gormless crack addict. Spent much of the second half on their own 5 metre line. Did scrum well though, frightening considering Jenkins and A. Jones were missing.

Ye we did play poor considering we had a better % of tackle success rate and beat more defenders and I was at the game. We were not bad but certainly Wales were not excellent.

As Thingimubob says, could have gone either way but there we are it didn't. Wales were not as poor as you are trying to make out.

Last edited:
If one or two things had gone Wales's way then we'd have scraped a win imo. Most glaring one was a cross-field kick to Stoddard that he only just didnt get, if he was just that bit taller (or even better, was George North) he'd have been in for a try.

I wouldn't say that if he'd have caught it he was definatley in. Mark Cueto had him well covered and would probablly have tackled him into touch (unless he missed an incredibly simple tackle)

I don't really like the sound of Henson/Roberts at centre because I believe Roberts is hugely over-rated. Jonathan Davies scores far more tries for the Scarlets than Jamie Roberts does for the Blues, and he has more to his game than just crash ball. Roberts hasn't done much since the Lions tour. If Henson/Roberts is picked I think it will be a disaster. Hope I'm wrong.

Roberts is one of the best players in the welsh squad when inform, but his injuries the last year haven't helped his form.

I don't really like the sound of Henson/Roberts at centre because I believe Roberts is hugely over-rated. Jonathan Davies scores far more tries for the Scarlets than Jamie Roberts does for the Blues, and he has more to his game than just crash ball. Roberts hasn't done much since the Lions tour. If Henson/Roberts is picked I think it will be a disaster. Hope I'm wrong.

Not all about tries at club level. Kinda feel that Davies doesn't quite manage to put in the same displays for Wales as he does for the Scarlets. Personally I don't like Jon Davies and Roberts together, solid but wayy too one-dimensional. Think Roberts could do with someone with a bit of creative genius, bit like how he and Hook worked quite well, as well as him and O'Driscoll.

When I see Jon Davies do absolutely anything worthy of note in a Welsh top I might start to begin to see where you might be coming from.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14396648.stm

BBC suggesting we'll be seeing a full strength Welsh team that includes Phillips at 9, Jones at 10, Roberts 12 and Davies 13 (or Davies 12, Roberts 13). I'm not hugely against this, because I think getting a win would be a majour boost. Is that our best midfield combo though? Phillips has been poor for a long time, and the Roberts - Davies partership is yet to really hit it off propperly. Their best match together was probably the second test in NZ last summer, where Roberts had his best game sinse the Lions tour and Davies looked sharp (despite messing up one try).

Interested to see what the team will be now. Either way, it's gonna be strong, just depends if Gatland experiments in one or two positions, and whether he gives Henson another start.

Latest posts