• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: France vs Samoa, 24/11/2012

I got linx if anybody's interested...

And I'm loving how all of a sudden (well not really all of a sudden !) EEEEVERYBODY who ain't French is vociferously against France !...
We're not cocky ! We're not a vain team or vain fans !! How the fk do we attract hate, some other nations I could seriously see why objectively, but wtfffff ! :lol:

Hilarious !! It's like the most systematic thing since the dawn of Man !...
I don't think we're reading the same hread...

And I'm loving how all of a sudden (well not really all of a sudden !) EEEEVERYBODY who ain't French is vociferously against France !...
We're not cocky ! We're not a vain team or vain fans !! How the fk do we attract hate, some other nations I could seriously see why objectively, but wtfffff ! :lol:

It's jealousy.

It's all down to jealousy Yoe! The world just cant take it! We can't possibly have a beautiful country, good taste, great sense of style, hot women AND be amazing at rugby!!!? :p It's just too much for them to take!! :D
.... Oh and they're jealous of our modesty as well!! :lol:

Last edited:
I've learned not to get the girls I know here talking about French men, always decents into a rant about how they're all ********. Seems you lot are notorious for cheating and messing the poor lasses around ;)
Also never been overly convinced on the sexyness of French women compared to other European countries. I rank Spain, Italy and as I've learned from my time here, Germany higher.

Do have a cracking rugby team (most of the time...)

noooooo noooooooo...I know generally speaking ppl hate France for certain reasons, and I hate putting myself in a situation where I just say "ahh, they're just jealous !" even if it is simply objectively true...
But I mean, I'm not a big fan of every single nation in the world, but I may respect their rugby team.

Like SA is totally fkn obscure to me, and so is NZ, like, no offense but you'll never hear about those countries ever, ever EVER. On the news, the internet, talkign with your friends...nothing, nada, zip ! But I happen to love their rugby teams.

Of course only a small portion of ppl will direct their thoughts like that, and will just "throw everything in the same bag"...like, "oh I'm English, they're French, de facto/by default I must hate them no matter what, even if they've got a beautiful brand of play".

I totally accept ACTUAL founded, grounded criticism, no problem. "Ahh they're so inconsistent !! Man they suck how could they lose to Tonga in a RWC !!"...but right now we're watching a super humble coach in PSA directing a young+veteran team grow and already DOMINATE - none of the guys have looked cocky, pretentious or vain during those two showings...and the fans and media in France haven't become drunk with success, we're just very very happy to have beaten those two specifically because:
A - they're great sides.
B - we've had monster defeats at their hands in very recent memory...

That's it...WTF is reprehensible about that ?! :lol:

(I'm just stating things, of course I know the answers...but it's worth putting all this out there...)

Random little thought, but I don't think I remember a single game where Samoa played in the rain.:lol:

Most of the Samoa Team has or does play for Top 14 and/or Premiership... So maybe the team has not played in the rain, but most of the individuals have many times.

I have also been to France on exchange, beautiful country, great food & wine. The history and vibrant culture is great. But on a whole the French people are not great. Individually most of you that I met are great people and very helpful. But I did not play rugby over there, nor meet any French rugby guys. The girls are attractive, but as a Canadian (English Canadian), we never hit it off.

I would go back to France in a second. The rugby team is looking great, and I think yoe91 is spot on with how they are playing. It is not cocky, and becoming less inconsistent. It is "total rugby" and highly entertaining…

Last edited:
When I was living in Canada TV5 Monde broadcasted France Test Matchs in Americas but I don't know if they do the same in Europe.

23.30 on ESPN UK?

I am a great lover of France and have and do spend much time there........but let us not get carried away with Les Blues just yet.

They have huge potential in terms of players and PSA seems to be doing a sparkling job. I may have to even suggest that Lagisquet may be doing something uselful or are they doing it despite him!!

If they continue along the lines they have started, and only started, they are real contenders for 2015 BUT they have only really played two matches this Autumn. One was against the Aussies who played, even to thier most ardent supporters, pretty rubbish rugby and then Argentina who also were not as good as they have been.

I hasten to add, the Aussies and Tinas may well have been poor because of the manner in which the French played but I would like to see them play against a strong team playing well who perhaps get a bit of lead and then watch Les Blues before jumping on any bandwagon and hailing them as world beaters which I do look forward to doing!!

I have long said they are the best Northeren Hemisphere side and still do but to be honest even that is not a compliment at the moment!!

Allez Les Blues

Last edited:
^ hehe, well England I don't care if they didn't look fabulous against Australia, they're still definitely a threat imo. But it's true that collectively we haven't quite given the SH teams the beatings of their lives...
but atm, yeah, no question. France by a long shot - judging on our best...we may start playing out of rhythm all of a sudden...

Let's put it this way: out of the potential of the NH teams, France has shown the highest level. I don't think Wales, Ireland and England can attain that level atm.
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut !!!

BUT BUT BUT !!!....
we'll see in the long term panning of things...

Right, im going to stop singing France's praise coz we're just going to jinx them and if they loose to the Samoans on saturday we're all going to look like muppets!!!:rolleyes:

Personally though i think we are looking really good, i think we can beat Samoa and I'm very excited for the future of this promising French team!!:)

For me France team looks very balanced except center combination. Using Fofana on the wing probably it is similar as using Parra at fly-half, but in his defence he was pretty damn good fly-half, even while playing agains ABs. I don't understand Mermoz & Mermoz selection. It seems that they are solid at defence, but not very sharp in offence. Try Fofana & Fickou at center, Fall at full-back, Clerc and probably Huget is the only other alternative on the other wing.

Right, im going to stop singing France's praise coz we're just going to jinx them and if they loose to the Samoans on saturday we're all going to look like muppets!!!:rolleyes:

Personally though i think we are looking really good, i think we can beat Samoa and I'm very excited for the future of this promising French team!!:)

That's a ridiculous understatement ! We can annihilate Samoa...in terms of potential. But sure they could come in and actually win this...
I'm afraid of jinxing them too !! Darn atavistic superstition !! Imagine they come in and beat us 50-3 :lol:.

Samoa has certainly already earned the respect of everyone...AND some....doesn't matter that they lose this I think. They've been impressive...
But their kicking alone makes their chances of beating France IN FRANCE very slim...that alone. But they'll be physical, as always, and will be hungrier than...uhmmmm....a very hungry hippopotamus...

Samoa's confidence going into this game will be as high as ever. Last time these teams met was in 2009 where France demolished us 43 - 5 . While we had a lot of talent on that team, we were under prepared, out matched in every facet of the game, but most importantly showed NO HEART whatsoever and as a result we got smoked. I guarantee this will not be the case this time around come this Saturday.

We may lose two of our key players to injury in Paul Williams and Faatoina Autagavaia which is going to be a concern since our other reserve fullback James So'oaialo is under suspension still (I think). We do have David Lemi whom has played at full back before but has never really looked comfortable at the position. Samoa may elect to put him there and maybe bring in Robert Lilomaiava to play on the wing. The French may look at this as a potential weakness and may look to expose this.

Also I posted on the Samoa vs Wales thread but I will also link here that I made a next day reaction video to the Samoa vs Wales game which I posted on Youtube. If anyone wants to check it out the link is below

Last edited by a moderator:
The unpredictable nature of the French must be one of the biggest cliches in rugby, but one of the truest. I really don't know which way to call this.
All I can say at this very moment is that I am really looking forward to it, and this is from a man who really doesn't want to watch rugby right now.

This is the kind of cliche backed up by hard facts, is there a single team out there who can lose two RWC pool games, including Tonga, and end up RWC runner up losing by a single point in the final.

This will b a great game, as right now both sides r just hugely confident. I give a slight edge to France because;
A. I m a France fan
B. The France team has more depth at all positions, less injury concern
Either way, really looking forward to this

I have a bad feeling about that game...
First we know we're inconsistent, as said in a previous post this is a fact.
Second, Samoa makes me think about Argentina in that most of their players have experience through playing into big championships, some even in Top 14 so they know the french players very well. Also they arrive overconfident following unexpected wins - sorry guys you're a good side but the odds were stil not in your favour for both games.

Finally if the rain is confirmed there's another hardened fact: France completely loses control when playing under the rain. Would we play against Wales, England or Ireland we would get "up-and-undered" as if there was no tomorrow and lose control of the ball "a-la-Poitrenaud" :rolleyes:

Fortunately Samoa prefers holding the ball so we'll see what will happen, but I rate this match as highly unpredictable.

May I just say it is fantastic to see so many French posters on the Forum, (and many making a great deal of sense!!), at the momenet and implore them to get equally involved in the Top 14 thread?!!

For me France team looks very balanced except center combination. Using Fofana on the wing probably it is similar as using Parra at fly-half, but in his defence he was pretty damn good fly-half, even while playing agains ABs. I don't understand Mermoz & Mermoz selection. It seems that they are solid at defence, but not very sharp in offence. Try Fofana & Fickou at center, Fall at full-back, Clerc and probably Huget is the only other alternative on the other wing.

Wertas, I fully agree, though I'm not a fan of Huget at all, but the pair Fofana/Fickou is what I've been looking forward for weeks .

France have retained 24 players: the 23 that played against Argentina plus Benjamin Fall. Injury concerns over Brice Dulin forced retaining him
So, PSA called four players up in case there were injuries, and then sent three of them back when injured players recovered. I think this is smart management: keeps confidence up, mantains continuity and sends a message to the fringe players that there are still part of the setup. Fickou and Gunther know where they are: if an injury were to happen, they would become part of the group, and if they keep improving they're close to getting a chance.
Keeping the same group boasts confidence in players and tells them to take this match seriously. PSA has insisted that this is the most difficult match of the series, saying "he didn't sleep" after watching Wales-Samoa. I don't think this is just politeness and mindgames. From his POV, this is the most difficult match: players are tired, it will probably the most physical of the games, and it's his job to keep the players focused. I think he's doing well so far.

As for the side, I'd like to see Parra start with Michalak. The problem is that we wouldn't have a kicker on the bench to finish the match. With Parra and Michalak used to playing 80 minutes, that may not be a problem, but it would be a risk to take.
I'd like to see Fofana at centre, along Fritz. Fofana running outside Michalak can be deadly, and I think Fritz's defence in midfield is going to be very important this game.
I'd also like to see how Chouly and Picamoles can combine. Bru has said before, when he was in Toulouse, that he was considering turning Picamoles into a "blindside" style flanker, something not too common in France. He has been playing more and more often at flank for Toulouse, and it is true that from a technical point of view, he is very far from international no. 8's like Parisse, Read, Heaslip , Ryan Jones or Harinordoquy. And even Chouly, I would add. Starting both would add muscle to the backrow, but wolud mean dropping either Nyanga or Ouedraogo, who have been outstanding the last two games.
In the second row, some coaching light be possible. Papé hasn't had a pause since July 2010, playing RWC and every tour, plus every game for SF, without one injury... I'm really worried he may pick up a serious injury in a game like this weekend's. Maestri looked out of his depth against Argentina, so maybe he' not fully recovered, and he'd be better off the bench. It's up to PSA to manage his players, but if they're both fully fit, they should start again together. I think they're the most complementary lock peiring France has had for a while. I don't recall in recent years a 4 and 5 that were such obvious picks.
In the front row, I'd start Domingo, and would make him play as many minutes as he can bear.

So, my side would be.
Domingo-Szarswewski-Mas
Papé-Maestri
Ouedraogo-Picamoles-Chouly
Parra-Michalak
Huget-Fritz-Fofana-Clerc
Fall

Bench: Kayser-Forestier-Debaty-Suta-Nyanga-Machenaud-Trinh-Duc-Mermoz
(This is if Dulin is injured, if not, he would start and one of Fall or Mermoz would drop from the 23)

However, I think PSA will pick the same side as the two previous games.

Latest posts