• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Ireland vs New Zealand 24/11/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TRF_nickdnz Tackle in the air from a grubber...ridiculious.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TRF_nickdnz
It's be nice if Nigel Owen's actually did his job rather than take the 'that's alright!' approach to everything...

Very rough game so far from New Zealand. Israel Dagg has had a shocker to the point I'd be happy not to see him in an AB jersey again until he finds some real form - not just 'good enough'. Only player for New Zealand seeminly playing well is Savea and Sam Whitelock...

Ireland certainly have come out firing. Out of interest, why did only half the New Zealand anthem play? Having trumpets and then leaving the singing up to the 23 guys on the field, verse Ireland's 60,000 people singing both anthems made me think it was ganna be a rough start...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TRF_nickdnz
I understand you're emotional - let it out.

How am I moaning btw? I'm pleased we won.

I'm not talking about right now that you've win. Your general moaning and giving out about BO'D over the years really grates as you know well it does. Comments like I hope he crys is in

I'm not talking about right now that you've win. Your general moaning and giving out about BO'D over the years really grates as you know well it does. Comments like I hope he crys is in my opinion and I'm sure most peoples not at all in the right spirit shall we say.

I'm just tired of it, I don't want to go into it right now. You can reply to this if you want but I won't reply on this thread if I take issue I may pm you at a later date.

Please someone explain how this Kiwi guy is a TRF Moderator?!!

been reading on this match...man, don't mean to pour the salt in the wound for the Irish but: do we all realize just how amazing that last try was ?! Ireland was defending to become the first ever Irish side to beat NZ, they gave it their all. Sure they were tired, but they were defending like beasts. It's so, so, so much harder to score than to defend. The defending team is just waiting for you, you have to be creative and 1 million phases won't cut it, too risky, ref can blow his whistle at any moment on some penalty. They actually scored a sexy try...how incredible is that ??....That skip pass was amazing, what composure to think it up and attempt it.

48:35.

Last edited by a moderator:

Awwww...now you've gone and made me feel incredibly sorry for Ireland - I had no idea it was that close and the final score was after the full time.

das

Last edited by a moderator:
If Hansen mucks Fruean around (1) for too long, he might go elsewhere. That's based on what I've seen with other players like Evans and Ranger (2). Saili is great when he's playing for us in the Blues but when he's playing for NZ, he's a lesser player IMO. They should go with Fruean, forget his defensive frailties and let him open his wings because his attack is well worth the kind of persistance they're giving Saili. He's a world class attacker, especially outside a Cruden, Carter or SBW.

just going through this thread and saw this and had to add:

1. Fruen has recently had Heart Surgery. A second heart surgery. There is NO way he would have been considered this year. Plus his form simply does not warrant it. He hasn't been mucked around at all.

2. Evans and Ranger are 2 completely different cases. Ranger signed a contract at the start of the calendar year thinking the ABs would not seriously consider him for regular game time. This changed after his Super Rugby form for the Blues. You can't say he was mucked around when prior to that he rightfully wasn't in the top echelon in his position(s) and the style of play was different with interchangeable wnger/fullbacks being in vogue. Evans simply took the money and run. And that's his perogative. he could have stayed and got more games, but it would have been pretty hard to turn down the big bucks (a player's career is pretty short and I can understand the need to make hay whilst the sun shines)

been reading on this match...man, don't mean to pour the salt in the wound for the Irish but: do we all realize just how amazing that last try was ?! Ireland was defending to become the first ever Irish side to beat NZ, they gave it their all. Sure they were tired, but they were defending like beasts. It's so, so, so much harder to score than to defend. The defending team is just waiting for you, you have to be creative and 1 million phases won't cut it, too risky, ref can blow his whistle at any moment on some penalty. They actually scored a sexy try...how incredible is that ??....That skip pass was amazing, what composure to think it up and attempt it.[/video]

48:35.

yip, that last try is probably the best team try in years, phase after phase, pass after pass held in the 80th minute after a period on defense. Clawing their way up field with a number of important carries from but not limited to Cruden, barrett, Nonu, Ben Smith, Read, Messam and finished off by a pinpoint skip pass and offload by coles. That try would have to go down as one of the all time classics. Add to that the fact it was to win a game after 80 minutes to secure the first ever winning season in the professional era? Phenomenal.

Please someone explain how this Kiwi guy is a TRF Moderator?!!

Moderators are people, just like ordinary posters. They are entitled to their opinions, however controversial they might be, just like every other poster here.

What you will find is that Nick doesn't throw personal abuse around or engage in ad-hominum attacks on other posters, unlike a few here!!

Some of BOD's behaviour has resulted in a target being painted on his back, and last time I looked, he wasn't a poster here, so he is open to whatever posters want to sling at him (within the limits of the Law of course).

A few observations from that match:

1. Ireland were awesome. Especially Sean O'Brien. He out-McCawed Mcaw.
BUT I felt that perhaps Ireland didn't attack with the same verve in the second half. Though the Irish defence was simply superb.
I was fully prepared to come onto this site this morning and offer my congratulations.

2. Nonu and Dagg were awful. Nonu tripped over his own feet, and had some shocking decision making. Dagg seems like he has forgotten how to play fullback. I am stunned he has continued to get selected this year with the calibre of players we have in that position. I think Conrad Smith being on sabbatical may have saved his bacon.

3. Question: How much of this was actually Schimdt, and how much was the players attitude?

I'm just calming down now, finally composed enough to post a (reasonably) non-emotional response to this match. Obviously as an Irish fan I was devastated for hours after this match. Anyway, here's the post mortem.

Ireland definitely deserved to win the game, they were superior in practically every facet of play for the first hour, and blew the AB's away in the first half unlike any team I've ever seen (and I include England last year and France in '99 within that). It was a Herculean effort and if they can play to anywhere near that level on a consistent basis, they're contenders for the 6 Nations ***le. I really appreciated McCaw and the New Zealand commentators' good grace in victory when they admitted Ireland were the better side.

Having said that, you have to credit New Zealand. No other team in world rugby could have recovered from a first half 15 point deficit and general thumping so brilliantly. Even in the third quarter of the match, they were only marginally on top. To keep the belief and to have the composure and skill to score in the third minute of injury time speaks volumes for their brilliance as a team unit. With a strange penalty decision ten seconds from the end in their favour, and Cruden being allowed to retake the final conversion, they had some luck, but you make your own luck and it's hard to begrudge such an accomplished and classy side their historic "perfect year". Fair play to them.

However, I would like to highlight that while they're the first side to win every match in a calendar year during the professional era, they aren't the first "unbeaten" side. Ireland were the first, going through 2009 unbeaten (nine wins and a draw against the Aussies).

Hopefully Ireland can keep up that level of performance. If so, today's game could be viewed as a sort of turning point in future years. As for the AB's, their continued excellence is freakish. I expect Ireland to beat them the next time they play for this experience, but that could be in three years' time so speculation may be pointless.

The entire Irish backrow were outstanding, Heaslip had his finest game in a green jersey in years. The captaincy last year really seemed to burden him.

If I were a Kiwi, I'd be very concerned at how the Irish backrow completely beasted the renowned All Black backrow in every facet of play. The Irish backrow seemed to career over the gainline all game, and more worryingly, the All Blacks were beaten well at the breakdown (normally their pride and joy and the area of the game where they're most noted for their superiority). Ireland got a lot of fast ball and slowed down the AB's ball very effectively (and legally). I've never seen Richie McCaw so comprehensively outgunned.

O'Brien seems to combine the breakdown nous of a McCaw or Pocock with the ferocious carrying of a Picamoles or Alberts. He's the most well-rounded no.7 in world rugby at the moment, bettered only by Kieran Read for the ***le of best all-round backrow.

Have to say this All Blacks team showed what character they have. This was THE perfect way to get their 100% record for 2013: being outplayed but still finding a way to win. They may not be the best international team so far in rugby history; for me they will have to defend their world ***le to earn this accolade, but they are on their way. The squad they are building so far really reminds me of the one England built to win the 2003 WC: a mixture of youth and experience. Only time will tell if this team will surpass all others before them.

Moderators are people, just like ordinary posters. They are entitled to their opinions, however controversial they might be, just like every other poster here.

What you will find is that Nick doesn't throw personal abuse around or engage in ad-hominum attacks on other posters, unlike a few here!!

Some of BOD's behaviour has resulted in a target being painted on his back, and last time I looked, he wasn't a poster here, so he is open to whatever posters want to sling at him (within the limits of the Law of course).

Well said ... moderators are members/posters too ... we don't have to all agree with one another on here, do we ... if we did, there wouldn't be any point in any of us posting ... having differing opinions about players is fine, provided you don't break any defamation laws, being critical of the content of a post is also fine ... making personal attacks on other posters isn't okay in my book.

... I totally understand/have empathy with some members who are feeling a little emotionally raw at the moment - that was so close to a historical win for Ireland, but please, can we stick to remarks about the Rugby?

... anyway, well done Ireland for game you played, and congrats to the All Blacks for the undefeated year

The entire Irish backrow were outstanding, Heaslip had his finest game in a green jersey in years. The captaincy last year really seemed to burden him.

If I were a Kiwi, I'd be very concerned at how the Irish backrow completely beasted the renowned All Black backrow in every facet of play. The Irish backrow seemed to career over the gainline all game, and more worryingly, the All Blacks were beaten well at the breakdown (normally their pride and joy and the area of the game where they're most noted for their superiority). Ireland got a lot of fast ball and slowed down the AB's ball very effectively (and legally). I've never seen Richie McCaw so comprehensively outgunned.

O'Brien seems to combine the breakdown nous of a McCaw or Pocock with the ferocious carrying of a Picamoles or Alberts. He's the most well-rounded no.7 in world rugby at the moment, bettered only by Kieran Read for the ***le of best all-round backrow.

To be fair the irish back row played like men possessed. There are just matches that the All Blacks have to take their hat off to the opposition and just try and stem the tide because the All Blacks' success and the shirt seems to bring out performances from players which they can only produce when they play the men in black. Just like Wood, Morgan, Launchbury and Cole smashed the ABs at the contact area in 2012.

I thought SOB and Heaslip in particular had a point to prove to outplay McCaw and Read today and they were immense. But can they maintain that performance when they play in the 6N or are we going to see a level of performance like we did against the Wallabies, when Hooper, Fardy and Mowen beasted the Irish back row? That is the real question.

I'm just calming down now, finally composed enough to post a (reasonably) non-emotional response to this match. Obviously as an Irish fan I was devastated for hours after this match. Anyway, here's the post mortem.

Ireland definitely deserved to win the game, they were superior in practically every facet of play for the first hour, and blew the AB's away in the first half unlike any team I've ever seen (and I include England last year and France in '99 within that). It was a Herculean effort and if they can play to anywhere near that level on a consistent basis, they're contenders for the 6 Nations ***le. I really appreciated McCaw and the New Zealand commentators' good grace in victory when they admitted Ireland were the better side.

Having said that, you have to credit New Zealand. No other team in world rugby could have recovered from a first half 15 point deficit and general thumping so brilliantly. Even in the third quarter of the match, they were only marginally on top. To keep the belief and to have the composure and skill to score in the third minute of injury time speaks volumes for their brilliance as a team unit. With a strange penalty decision ten seconds from the end in their favour, and Cruden being allowed to retake the final conversion, they had some luck, but you make your own luck and it's hard to begrudge such an accomplished and classy side their historic "perfect year". Fair play to them.

However, I would like to highlight that while they're the first side to win every match in a calendar year during the professional era, they aren't the first "unbeaten" side. Ireland were the first, going through 2009 unbeaten (nine wins and a draw against the Aussies).

Hopefully Ireland can keep up that level of performance. If so, today's game could be viewed as a sort of turning point in future years. As for the AB's, their continued excellence is freakish. I expect Ireland to beat them the next time they play for this experience, but that could be in three years' time so speculation may be pointless.

IMO sometimes losing these close games only increases the psychological pressures on teams. This loss isn't going to help them defeat the AB's it will just add to the self doubt amongst their players. They may have a few more losses like this before they get their victory. Who know's though, you could be right we will just have to wait and see.

Heaslip had his best game for a few years (in my opinion).

PS Kapa, it's 'Should have' not 'Should of'!!!!

(sorry, that's one of my pet peeves :p)

This match is a potential RWC quarter final if NZ finish top of Pool C and Ireland finish 2nd in Pool D. What a mouth watering prospect that would be.

Hmm I'm not sure Blindside, Ireland historically haven't raised their game against the AB's. We normally do it when our backs are against the wall after a poor performance, regardless of the opposition. I think Ireland's forward beasting of the AB's, at least at the breakdown, was far more comprehensive than England's last year. England's backline tore the AB's apart last year, and Ireland's couldn't this year. That was the main difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.