[EOYT] Romania vs. Tonga 09/11/13

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Romania.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Tonga.png

Romania vs. Tonga. 09/11/13, 19:00 EET(6:00 Tongan Time* Sunday) Stadionul Arcul de Triumf, Bucharest, Romania

Referee: Francisco Pastrana (Argentina)

Broadcast: Official Romanian Union Stream. www.rugbytv.ro

Romania (17th) and Tonga (11th) start their end of year tests in an encounter in Bucharest. Tonga will be looking to carry forward their impressive form of the last couple of years while Romania will look to build up for their ENC and RWCQ campaigns this winter. The two teams have never faced one another in a test before and this match therefore is well overdue.

150137.jpg

Last edited:
Romania announced a 32 men squad for EOYT

Props :
Horatiu Pungea (Scarlets), Paulica Ion (USA Perpignan), Mihai Lazar (Castres Olympique), Andrei Ursache (US Carcassonne), Constantin Pristavita (CSM Baia Mare), Alexandru Tarus (RCM Timisoara)
Hookers : Eugen Capatana (RCM Timisoara), Andrei Radoi (CSM Baia Mare), Otar Turashvili (RCM Timisoara)
Locks : Alin Coste (US Bourg-en-Bresse), Marius Sirbe (Tarbes PR), Valentin Poparlan (RCM Timisoara), Dorin Lazar (RCM Timisoara)
Back Row : Valentin Ursache (US Oyonnax), Ovidiu Tonita (US Carcassonne), Stelian Burcea (RCM Timisoara), Mihai Macovei (SC St Nazaire), Viorel Lucaci (Steaua Bucuresti)
Scrum halves : Valentin Calafeteanu (RCM Timisoara), Florin Surugiu (CSM Bucuresti), Ciprian Caplescu (Steaua Bucuresti)
Fly half : Dorin Manole (US Orthez)
Centres : Florin Vlaicu (Steaua Bucuresti), Robert Dascalu (Steaua Bucuresti), Cristian Dinis (CSM Baia Mare), Csaba Gal (CSM Baia Mare), Florin Ionita (Steaua Bucuresti)
Wings : Stephen Hihetah (CSM Baia Mare), Ionut Dumitru (Steaua Bucuresti)
Fullbacks : Catalin Fercu (RCM Timisoara), Iulian Dumitras (unattached)

Thanks for the squad Croket, looks good in the front row and OK at Lock, don't think it will trouble most of their oppostion in a lot of other areas though. Also I wish "beerholder" would return he was a great source for Romanian news he hasn't popped by since last ENC.

Incredibly, despite both these nations having long standing rugby teams and appearing at nearly every World Cup, this will be the first EVER match between them. As for Romania's other matches with Fiji and Canada they have only played them 2 and 3 times respectively, and not for 4 or 8 years each.

It just shows how underplayed the Tier 2 nations have been over recent years, the PNC and ENC have barely met in the old schedules over the past decade with too many non-test games. Compare that to the amount of times Tier 1 teams play each other. Wales and Australia for instance have met more times over the past 2 years than most Tier 2 teams have met in their entire history.

Credit to the IRB for getting more match ups this year.

I tried to post some Romanian rugby news from time to time but it seems like nobody at all was interested. I could do it again if there's any interest.

looks good in the front row and OK at Lock, don't think it will trouble most of their oppostion in a lot of other areas though.

The Romanian back row is also quite good, even if guys like Lucaci or Macovei don't play for top clubs. The backs are pretty bad but there is one class player among them (Fercu) who can score brilliant solo tries if given the chance.

Incredibly, despite both these nations having long standing rugby teams and appearing at nearly every World Cup, this will be the first EVER match between them. As for Romania's other matches with Fiji and Canada they have only played them 2 and 3 times respectively, and not for 4 or 8 years each.

Indeed, it's unbelivable that this is the first match between the two nations. Romania has played in all the Rugby World Cups, while Tonga has only missed one. The IRB is doing a great job with these tests and it seems that they have managed to persuade clubs to release most Tier 2 players as well (unlike last year).

Anyway, this will be a very hard test for Romania. Forward play is our only chance in this fixture and I hope that our boys will do their best, no matter the result. Tonga has beaten the likes of France and Scotland (away) in recent years and their play style is very different from the usual opponents of the Oaks. In any case, I can't wait for the match.

Veteran Romanian back rower Ovidiu Tonita (Carcassone) has been injured in training. His replacement in the Romanian squad is Alexandru Mitu (CSM Bucuresti).

ah nice, a chance to see Romania again after a disappointing RWC. No idea where they're at now, certainly not obtaining the results they got some decade ago...
should be totally fun to watch ! I'm curious to see what style ROM have these days...

Romania has the same old style of the past decades. Although the Romanian backs have improved a bit, the strength of the team has always been in the forwards and the Welsh coach Lynn Howells is well aware of that.

Otherwise, Romania has been in good form this year and is unbeaten after 8 matches. Romania got 4 wins (Portugal, Russia, Spain and Belgium) and 1 draw (against Georgia) in the European Nations Cup and has won the IRB Nations Cup in June after 3 straigt wins (Russia, Argentina Jaguars and Italy A). However, Tonga is surely the favorite in the match in Bucharest this weekend and they will probably end the winning streak of the Oaks.

I always support ENC teams in these tests.. even tho we are huge rivals in order to move forward in rugby we need ENC to improve as a whole not just Georgia separately. Beating Tonga will be a huge challenge but i hope it turns out OK.

last time i watched oaks they had problems with speed, especially their back line was really slow, do they have anyone new or are they going to keep playing with all power no pace again ?

The back line is still slow but there are some promising new guys. The two wingers in the squad are young and talented and Howells will probably try a new solution at fly half. However, the centres are bad. The fullback Fercu is the main attacking threat among the backs.

There has been some progress in the back line but teams must play to their strength, especially against tough opponents. So I would expect a very forward-oriented gameplan.

Also, the Tongans have already arrived in Bucharest

1390630_10151955514458270_224855152_n.jpg

Last edited:
6-6 Lets Go Oaks! 2nd half will be interesting

EDIT: Romanians crossed the line but no ones sure if they touched down :O

EDIT: YEEEES TRYYY!!!!! 13-6 for Romania

EDIT: Romania 16 - 6 Tonga 52''

EDIT: Romanian forward was Sin bined.. I'm not sure why I didn't notice anything wrong there

16-13 and second romanian sin bined. I don't think either one deserved Yellow.. Tongan on the other hand made a dangerous tackle and should've seen yellow.

hmm.. no more comment on the refereeing here everything is kind of obvious... :/

19-18 FINAL Romania Wins, Great Result for Oaks Congrats from Georgia

Last edited:
Maybe we have overestimated Pacific Nations cup lately... Both ENC teams won over them today.

absolutely MAGIC game for us, it's the best performance we've had in 20+ years. the pack was great, the fullback Fercu was an alien tonight, Vlaicu kicked over everything and we tackled like never before, really stopped the huge strong Tongans.

great performance, we can end with at least 2 wins with a performance at the same level next week, with Canada.

Magic night, very happy.

PS: indeed, Mr. Pastrana was not in his game today, maybe i am biased, but the yellows were very easy for us, and the high tackle and the later punch without response were not punished!

anyway, great game for us.

Last edited:
Wow very much looking forward to Canada's game next week with Romania now, this is really surprising I figured Canada vs. Georgia could go either way but I was expecting a decent sized Tongan win in this one. World Rankings are going to tighten up a lot.

Europe 2 and Canada at the WC will also be something to look forward to. Italy and Ireland beware

they deserve it, congrats romania depiste tonga missed some occasions to score (the conversion missed on the 2nd try is hilarious) , great defense and the referee doesn't help them toda....

Latest posts