Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• Total voters
Did enjoy the match tonight, some good football, wasn't surprised that the Dutch didn't play great. They just don't seem to create enough clear cut chances to be real contenders. Can see the Czechs winning their next 2 games making the Latvian game for both crucial in terms of goal difference, although the Germans could get a point. Think the Germans may just sneak through.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jun 15 2004, 09:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jun 15 2004, 09:36 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St_Helens_RLFC
@Jun 15 2004, 09:16 AM
Lmao.
<
82-6 [/b]
Why is it the league teams usually absolutely take a dump on the union teams but when it comes to both codes playing union the game is closer. You'd think it would be the other way round because of the scrums, lineouts, etc.

Originally posted by Wally+Jun 16 2004, 07:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jun 16 2004, 07:02 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jun 15 2004, 09:36 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-St_Helens_RLFC
@Jun 15 2004, 09:16 AM
Lmao.
<

82-6
Why is it the league teams usually absolutely take a dump on the union teams but when it comes to both codes playing union the game is closer. You'd think it would be the other way round because of the scrums, lineouts, etc. [/b]
Because league players are far more used to playing a faster, more free flowing game. This is hard for the union players. When Union is played the League defenses can easily deal with union attack but cannot deal with lineouts and extra men in the scrums than what they are used to, even when League scrums were contested there was no pushing involved. Scrums were made uncontestable because they would collapse, props would still be stood upright as the scrum engaged moreeven than in Union, they were pretty diabolical.

Oh it's definately down to fitness.

When playing league, the union teams can only play one man football.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 16 2004, 10:17 AM
Did enjoy the match tonight, some good football, wasn't surprised that the Dutch didn't play great. They just don't seem to create enough clear cut chances to be real contenders. Can see the Czechs winning their next 2 games making the Latvian game for both crucial in terms of goal difference, although the Germans could get a point. Think the Germans may just sneak through.
I'll be very surprised if the Czechs don't top that group.

Today we have Portugal vs Russia and Spain vs Greece.

If results go wrong, the host nation could be out by the close of play tonight.

Spain 1 - 1 Greece.

The Spanish should have won this game, and played really well, but fair play to the Greeks for staying in the game, and taking their chance when it arrived.

Not overly surprised by the draw, the Greeks proved in qualifying that they're not afraid of Spain. It's the type of game where you're not surprised to see Spain draw, still think they'll get the 3 points against Portugal, they won't be as strong defensively.

Russia 0-2 Portugal, good start for the Portuguese with Maniche's goal, Russia offered very little, sending off of the keeper didn't help, bad decision by the ref in my opinion. Russians threatened in the second half as you'd expect but not enough, easy win in the end. They were saying on ITV that the Greeks have qualified, must be that crap rule that the result between the 2 teams tied on points comes into play instead of simple goal difference.

England 3 - 0 Switzerland.

Rooney 22, 75
Gerrard 78

Not as conclusive as the final score sounds. Whilst England did deserve to win, and in the end probably by three goals, the Swiss gave a very good account of themselves.

They were hindered by the sending off of Bernt Haas on the hour. Don't think he can argue myself. He's a cheap short merchant, and got exactly what he deserved. Hated him since he cheated to get Dietmar Hamann sent off in a game when Liverpool played Sunderland in 2001, so I was pretty pleased to see him walking down the tunnel.

We defended really well - never thought the Swiss looked like scoring, for all their pressure.

We scored three really good goals - the third one in particular is the best goal of the tournament so far for sheer quality in the build up and the finish was no joke either.

It sounds more convincing than it was, but when the second goal went in, our confidence returned. We now look reasonable for the quarters.

I don't want the French to win tonight, but I do want the Croats to lose.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 18 2004, 06:03 AM
Totti's been given a 3 match ban for spitting in the Denmark match, scumbag.
Agreed.

Something this tournament and this sport doesn't need.

3-0 . solid enough. Rooney looks dangerous whenever he is near or on the ball. Owen looks almost disinterested. He was walking around, not chasing. No wonder he didn't get the ball.

Referee was pathetic. unnessescary free kicks for high feet and the sending off were not good.

It's strange not to be impressed by a 3-0 win but I wasn't. I know it was hot and everything but it seemed so slow, the Swiss couldn't cross the ball to save their lives otherwise England would have been in trouble. England had some good 10 minute spells and Rooney is having a good tournament but if I was an English fan I'd be seriously worried about Owen and Scholes.

Croatia 2-2 France. Two of the most blatant missed sitters from Galas in the first half and Mornar at the death. Worried about the form of the French strikers, again Henry and Trezeguet were off form. Just get the feeling that this tournament is opening up nicely for England, they'll beat Croatia and France will beat Switzerland leaving England to play Greece in the quarters and possibly Italy/Czech Rep in the semis which they'd fancy their chances against.

England just need to worry about BEATING Croatia. If we play for a draw we will lose. We need to win and then Portugal - home advantage, Spain - best players and Greece - best form, will all be of a similar difficulty. I fancy Spain to beat Portugal with their quality wide players. Joaquim is obscene. Hope chelsea buy him.

Croatia vs France was the best game of the tournament so far.

End to end enjoyment.

Originally posted by woodie@Jun 18 2004, 09:04 AM
Joaquim is obscene
I agree, that Joaquim is awful.

Joaquin on the other hand, is a great talent who I can imagine is on Jose's list.

Tonight we have Bulgaria vs Denmark and Italy vs Sweden.

Theoretically, the Italians could be in big trouble by the end of tonight's play, should they fail to win today.

Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jun 17 2004, 07:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jun 17 2004, 07:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-An Tarbh
@Jun 18 2004, 06:03 AM
Totti's been given a 3 match ban for spitting in the Denmark match, scumbag.
Agreed.

Something this tournament and this sport doesn't need. [/b]
If I was the Dane I'd have smacked Totti as hard as I could. Then he could do the typical football rolling round on floor clutching face - for real.

Latest posts