• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v England, 10/02/13

Looks like you need to play Sid Meiers Pirates!

Starboards right? Ports left? Anyones guess as to where that would actually make a ship go.

Port is 4 letters long... same as left.

[thats how I remember anyway]

I have`nt laughed as much since that documentary on the sinking of the french fleet at Mers el Kebir!:)

well...that's just stupid dude. It's not offensive, it's just a stupid comment to post lol, what can I tell you ?! :lol:

Just my thoughts from my small corner of the stadium:

Firstly, it was my first trip to Ireland, and besides the rugby, I quite enjoyed my short break in Dublin. Lovely city, some lovely buildings/statues, and small enough to walk to most places, without it seeming too busy. Often a problem with smaller city centers is they seem crowded and busy, but despite the rugby weekend, it didn't seem over busy, which was nice. Had a great meal after the game in a place called the Chophouse....well recommended to anyone visiting the city.

Well onto the rugby....

Firstly, yes it was wet, and the pitch cut up a bit, but genuinely I was surprised how few mistakes were made due to the conditions. A few handling errors here and there, but nothing in comparison to many games i've seen played in similar conditions. Irelands big name players, simply did not perform. I don't know why, was it down to England players keeping them quiet, or because they just had an off day, I'm not sure, maybe a mix of both. If Sexton stayed fit, then I think the result would have been different, his injury was a certain turning point, and his exit certainly buoyed the boys in white. The packs appeared to be similarly matched, neither side having a major dominance in the scrum, but I think I'm right in thinking the stats are in favour of Ireland? I didn't see the Healy incident, still haven't as I'm about to watch the highlights after I write this. Similarly, Haskell's yellow, it looked harsh from what i've seen on the big screen, but I need to see it again, i've heard it was warranted, if this is true, so be it.

Farrell is in good form, both for club and country, I hope this continues throughout the tournament. The next game against France is by no means a gimmie. While yes we've had some good results recently, this team is still a major work in process. There will still be lows before any real highs can be met. If there is any game France will target for a performance it's against us...always happens, RWC 11 is a prime example. And of course the Wales game is going to be a tough affair. Both very different challenges, but ones I think, or at least hope, England can meet head on.

Its an exciting time for England fans, after the dark days of RWC11, the side has been stripped down and now being rebuilt. We do have some stars, Cole, Robshaw, Wood, B. Youngs & Farrell can all be top performers...on their day. They all have on and off days, just like everyone in every walk of life, but they can all perform to a very very high level. Add to it the "units" we are starting to put together. Individually, our midfield isn't that much to write home about....but together, Barritt and Tuilagi form a decent pairing, who compliment each other. Throw in Twelvetrees and you have another 2 options, to tailor for the opponents put in front of you. This is something we, and all other teams, would love to have in every position....options to give you the very best chance of winning a game.

Would I like to win a game with free flowing beautiful rugby? Of course I would. Would I want to see my team play like that and lose when a more strategic, clinical game would have taken the points....no. For me a win for my team is preferable to a loss due to beautiful rugby. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't. We have to remember, we are not NZ, Oz or SA, they can play that style of rugby and win more often than not, they have the skill to do so, here in England, were not quite at that level....yet. Maybe one day we will be, I can only hope.

I am looking forward to the future of this side under the current coaching regime, and after hearing what they had to say at the evening I attended Saturday night, I believe they can have some success. Be it 6 nations, grand slams or world cups, I can see this England set up winning silverware. It won't be easy, but for the first time in ten years, things genuinely feel positive. Even the defeats against SA and Aus, we put in performances that maybe should have got better results, but due to mistakes & ill judgement, we let opportunities slip and like every good team does, both SA & Aus punished us. If we want to become a great side, we need to be the ones punishing other teams, like we eventually did v Ireland, by outscoring them, even while down to 14 men.

Fantastic post, I think I agree with pretty much everything you said!

Soooooooooooooo what do you think this means for both teams for the next match? Anyone think Ireland still have a chance of winning this championship or will England have the slam?

From England's point of view, it changes nothing; in fact, it can't be allowed to change anything. We have to beat France. That is our mono-focus. Any talk of the Slam is speculative only. Can we? I believe we should, but I admit to being nervous about what the French in full flow could do. I suppose the pressure has increased, that's all.

Ireland need to go and pick themselves up. Scotland is a must win game; lose, and there is the prospect of a very bad championship up ahead. I believe it will be somewhat difficult in a Kidney-dominated environment though - injuries might help or hinder; Heaslip might look more of a captain without BOD there, or the absence of a leader might be felt keenly. Likewise, injuries rarely strengthen a team, but Ireland could use freshening.

Ireland also need a big score if they're really going to have a go at the Championship... the best they can hope for really is 8 points tied and onto the secondary method of deciding; I think it's points difference; Ireland are behind the curve atm and need to rack up some scores.

Healy got 6 weeks, reduced to 3 for being a special little snowflake.

I think 6 was the right call - don't agree with/like reduced bans. By all means increase it if they're repeat offenders, but don't take time off because they haven't been (/haven't been caught being) a dick before.

Predictable. Amazed they've seen fit to give him any time off at all.

I think 6 was the right call - don't agree with/like reduced bans. By all means increase it if they're repeat offenders, but don't take time off because they haven't been (/haven't been caught being) a dick before.

Reductions are hardly news though. Everything gets reduced these days.

So he misses both Scotland and France games bit of a blow to Ireland tbh. Agree that if it is 6 weeks then it is 6 weeks not time off for being good. That's more of an issue with the citing system if you can plead a good case and get off lighter you can't blame the player for trying it. I would as a delicate little flower.

Sorry to be pedantic ...

Six Nations Disciplinary Committee said:
Cian Healy, Ireland loosehead prop forward, appeared today before an independent Six Nations Disciplinary Committee, comprising Roger Morris (Chairman, Wales), Achille Reali (Italy) and Julien Berenger (France) having been cited for stamping on the leg of an opponent in the RBS 6 Nations match between Ireland and England in Dublin on Sunday.

The Committee having viewed the footage of the incident and listened to the representations by and on behalf of the player, found that the stamp should be categorised as a mid range offence in terms of seriousness, which carries a sanction of five weeks. The Committee allowed the maximum two weeks of mitigation, but, in imposing a suspension of three weeks, recognised that the player would not have played for his province this weekend is that the suspension will end at midnight on Sunday 10 March 2013.

The player has the right of appeal.

Last edited:
Reductions are hardly news though. Everything gets reduced these days.

Agreed, and I'm very much a broken record on it as I bring it up every time :lol:

Ireland are lucky it was Healy, mind, as Court is a more than adequate replacement. If they lost Ross they'd be in the poop.

3 weeks seems about right no need to go overboard have seen much worse on the rugby pitch. Shame for Ireland as he is on good form.

I'm still amazed it wasn't Hartleys fault.

I was watching the second half when Hartley came on and all that kept going through my mind is "Hartleys going to give away the winning penalty to Ireland" i'm so surprised he didn't.

Oh and if Healy was a saints player it would be a 9 month ban!

Latest posts