• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
ireland.png
southafrica.png
</div>

Grand Slam Champions v World and Tri Nations Champions.

Ireland were well below par against Australia, espeically in the scrum and at the breakdown. The intent may have been there but the execution wasn't too sharp. All areas must improve if Ireland are to have a chance of winning this one, despite the slump in form of the Springboks on this tour.

Sexton put down a marker yesterday but will no doubt be on the bench. O'Brien's cameo against Fiji coupled with Leamy's injury could well see him on the bench on Saturday. The scrum was strong yesterday but no doubt there will be a greater test against the Boks, despite them not being as dominant as previous sides in this area.

No doubt Burger will be the pantomime villain if he makes an appearance.

So will South Africa finish their tour with a bang or will Ireland send them home with their tails between their legs?

If we play Wynand instead of Adi Jacobs, have Smit at hooker and bring in BJ Botha from the start, yeah I think we should win this. Fourie Du Preez was absolutely wonderful against Italy, so hoping he plays the whole game. Not sure what to do about the lock situation, I guess I hope they play Matfield and Botha together, and have Bekker as backup.

As long as the boks play like they're in a Test match, and not as if they want to be somewhere else like they did against France. I know it's been a long year, but seriously, put in the bloody effort dammit.

Ireland should take this.
SA are on poor form atm, and Ireland are getting better each AI match

I'll be at this one so Hussah! We can win this if we front up and match them at the breakdown and at scrum time. Be asks yes, but we need a solid platform to release our better backs.

Plenty of motivation for the Irish players, whether it be the likes of Ferris, Flannery and O'Leary who missed the Lions tests due to injury when they would have been shoe ins for the test side or Donncha O'Callaghan who was left out of the 2nd and 3rd tests completely after an impressive 10 minutes of the bench in the first test. When you factor in the bad blood between the two Unions which has developed over the last 10 years and some apparent less than respectful comments about the Irish team by John Smit in his autobiography, this could be a great game.

Same as for Australia except bring in Sexton and Earls for O'Gara and Fitzgerald, with Neil Best and Gordan D'arcy coming onto the bench please Declan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 22 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 22 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neil Best and Gordan D'arcy coming onto the bench please Declan.[/b]

Bog off!
[/b][/quote]

He'll be busy with the A team if isn't playing against SA anyway so....NANANANANA!

I also think that Roger Wilson and James Downey should be called in for a run out against Argentina A. Just to upset up Northampton-Irish.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 22 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I also think that Roger Wilson and James Downey should be called in for a run out against Argentina A. Just to upset up Northampton-Irish.[/b]
Wilson deserves a shot since we're short on 8s. With Leamy injured, Ireland's only options are Heaslip, moving Wallace or O'Brien and Chris Henry. Hopefully the A team will have a backrow of 6.McLaughlin, 7.Best, 8.Henry with Wilson given 30 minutes off the bench. Keep O'Brien in the full squad as the backrow substitute. Downey isn't worth it. I'd rather see younger players who can make an impact at international level given a shot - players like McFadden, Whitten and Cave. At 28, there's no point wasting time on Downey. If he was 4 years younger, he'd deserve a shot.

On to the SA game, I said after the Lions series and again a couple of weeks ago Ireland would beat them. I stand by that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 22 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 22 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also think that Roger Wilson and James Downey should be called in for a run out against Argentina A. Just to upset up Northampton-Irish.[/b]
Wilson deserves a shot since we're short on 8s. With Leamy injured, Ireland's only options are Heaslip, moving Wallace or O'Brien and Chris Henry. Hopefully the A team will have a backrow of 6.McLaughlin, 7.Best, 8.Henry with Wilson given 30 minutes off the bench. Keep O'Brien in the full squad as the backrow substitute. Downey isn't worth it. I'd rather see younger players who can make an impact at international level given a shot - players like McFadden, Whitten and Cave. At 28, there's no point wasting time on Downey. If he was 4 years younger, he'd deserve a shot.

On to the SA game, I said after the Lions series and again a couple of weeks ago Ireland would beat them. I stand by that.
[/b][/quote]

oh, I totally agree with the giving Wilson a go. he was the Ulster player of the year a few years ago for a reason.

And Also agree on the Downey thing, he spent his youth being mediocre all olver the country and then in Italy and now he's come good but - for a back - 28 is too late to be breaking into an international set-up.

McFadden's an inside centre for me. And Cave a second centre. I also think Earls should be playing second centre but lets not get into that now.

Cant wait to see how the press build this one up.

Your always guaranteed that the Boks will say something really stupid to the press and that was before PdV turned up.

Incidently, ireland are going for the third home win over the Boks in a row.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 22 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland should take this.
SA are on poor form atm, and Ireland are getting better each AI match[/b]

Well Ireland will push SA to their limits but guess World Champions win

I agree, if we play

1. Beast
2. Smit
3. BJ Botha

and 12. Olivier... Well, then we'll massacre Ireland. BUT.. We all know it's going to be Jacobs at 12 and Smit at 3.

Our scrums will get destroyed and BOD will run over Jacobs. I don't see us winning.

For me it's a clash between two different strategies - quick ball to release the backs or high kicks to force field position for set piece moves.

Both teams do use all those tactics, but we know which are predominant for each and that SA are bit short on variety.

I hope Ireland win. I hope SA bring some surprises to the party.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishrugby.ie/13910_19009.php

The medical update on Denis Leamy is that following both X-rays and scans of his right ankle that he injured during the Fiji game, the injury is less serious than at first thought. The Munster back rower will undergo rehabilitation this week, but is not ruled out of selection at this point.

The following players have been added to the extended Ireland squad for the South Africa match, joining the available players from the 22-man squad selected for the Fiji game:

Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Dan Touhy (Ballymena/Ulster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)[/b]

Bowe, Healy, O'Gara and Wallace will almost certainly come into the 22 for Horgan, Buckley, Trimble and Leamy (assuming he's not risked). I'm guessing Cave, Duffy, McLaughlin, Toner and Touhy are tackle bag holders and none will feature for the full team or the A team this week.

1.Healy
2.Flannery
3.Hayes
4.O'Callaghan
5.O'Connell
6.Ferris
7.Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. O'Leary
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. Wallace
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Court
18. Cullen
19. Best
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. D'arcy

14 British and Irish Lions 2009 tourists in the 22 , if we pick that team we will massacre the Boks, but we all know we will see ROG at 10.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 22 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll be at this one so Hussah! We can win this if we front up and match them at the breakdown and at scrum time. Be asks yes, but we need a solid platform to release our better backs.[/b]

I dont see any Ireland back that is particularily better than the SA backs. Steyn >O'Gara,Habana>Bowe,Olivier and Wallace are both equally ****, BOD and Fourie about the same,Pietersen>Earls, Kearney>Pienaar.

Well I'd start Sexton, who is probably about the same as Steyn and there's a good chance D'arcy will start who is a good bit better than Olivier IMO. Brian is better than Fourie, without doubt and Bowe has been very, very impressive this year.

Well yes there is doubt because Fourie is abseloute quality, i think they match up similarly. Very good defenders, smart players, good carriers and offloaders but Fourie has more pace, although BOD has more leadership credentials. Fourie is the most underated player in the world, which is surpising, as he has the best try scoring strike rate for a centre in the International game.

Latest posts