• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland vs France - 20/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

Hey dies anyone know what is up with DK at the moment??????? He consistently plays Paddy Wallace who is our worst back. Donncha Ryan is useless. Didn't even start for Munster last season yet he can start 2 very important test matches for Irelqnd. Where did Niall Ronan come into the equation????? Jenno is getting NO time at all when he should be starting. Wally is missing. He played Seány at 7 when he is FAR MORE effective at 6 or 8 (love to see him at 8 with Ireland when he was worldclass with Leinster at 8) yet he is still is amazing at 7 although he rarely got the ball. Who in their right minds would think Tony Buckley is a good tighthead????? Fitzgerald is a world-class player on his day but is going through a bad patch as we all know. Trimble has been playing exceptionally well yet he was replaced for Earls not Fitzy. Fitzgerald is getting way too much game time. From what I believe he will start O'Leary at scrumhalf and stick Reddan on the bench for the Oz game. RIDICULOUS!!!!! O'Leary is our worst scrumhalf by a mile. It will be left to Boss and Murray to fight it out for a place on the plane which is cruel. Reddan should start, Boss on the bench and Murray on the reserves. Boss is needed for the physical games yet he hasn't made it onto the bench in the warm-ups so far. I'd Love to see Fergie start at inside centre. My team for the French team would be: 1. Healy 2. Cronin 3. Ross 4. Cullen 5. O'Connell6. Seány7. Wally 8. Heaslip 9. Boss 10. Sexton 11. Earls 12. Fergie 13. BOD 14. Bowe (if fit)/ Trimble15. Jones

XV de France :

Heymans - Médard, Rougerie, Estebanez, Palisson - (o) Skrela, (m) Parra - Bonnaire, Picamoles, Ouedraogo - (Cap.) Nallet, Papé - Mas, Szarzewski, Poux

Quite happy with this team, although I'm a bit afraid for Rougerie. 1 Month ago he could barely walk.
Jees, for a second string team thats a seriously powerful outfit, especially the pack.

Not sure if Bonnaire and Skrela really have it at this level anymore but the rest look really impressive. Just goes to show the strength the French have. If they click we could be in trouble.

This will be another close one.

Oh, and just spotted that number 17 on the bench for France.

What a player, I wonder if he can get back in time to make an impact.

BO'D, Ferris, D'arce and Bowe all available with Bowe unlikely to be risked.

Seems D'Arcy is going to make it too which means it's simply Wallace or McFadden for backup and the other is out.

15 Felix Jones
14 Andrew Trimble
13 Brian O'Driscoll
12 Gordon D'Arcy
11 Keith Earls
10 Jonathan Sexton
9 Tomas O'Leary
8 Jamie Heaslip
7 David Wallace
6 Sean O'Brien
5 Paul O'Connell
4 Donncha O'Callaghan
3 Mike Ross
2 Rory Best
1 Cian Healy

16 Jerry Flannery
17 Tom Court
18 Mike McCarthy
19 Stephen Ferris
20 Eoin Reddan
21 Ronan O'Gara
22 Luke Fitzgerald

From the offy

The Ireland team to play France has been named. Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll has returned to the starting line up and will lead the team out on Saturday for the Guinness Summer Series.
<iframe src="http://api.tweetmeme.com/button.js?url=http%3A//www.irishrugby.ie/news/23613.php&style=normal&o=http%3A//www.irishrugby.ie/home.php&b=1" height="61" width="50" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
In what is a busy week for the Ireland squad, two Irish teams will play games in the space of three days. An Ireland Select XV will take on Connacht on Thursday evening in Donnybrook Stadium followed by Ireland playing France in the Aviva Stadium on Saturday.In the Guinness Summer Series international against France, the test match team will take the field with 10 changes to the run on side from the team that played the previous week.
There are six changes in the backline, one of which is positional. Felix Jones will make his first start for Ireland at full back and Keith Earls moves from the centre to left wing.
With Earls moving into the back three, Gordon D'Arcy comes into the midfield alongside Captain Brian O'Driscoll, who will both be making their debuts for the season. Jonathan Sexton will start at No.10 and he will be partnered at half back by Tomas O'Leary.
Paul O'Connell and Jamie Heaslip come into the starting team after being second half replacements last weekend and Sean O'Brien moves to No.6.
Ireland Team & Replacements (v France, Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Saturday, August 20th, kick-off 5.00pm local):
15 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) Captain
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
19 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
Free 20 Euro bet with Paddy Power
In the Connacht game, several players who were involved in the test match against France last week get another chance to play in Donnybrook tomorrow evening.
Leo Cullen will captain the side and will be partnered in the second row by Mick O'Driscoll, with Tony Buckley, Sean Cronin, John Hayes completing the front five. Shane Jennings will have his first outing of August after returning from a broken arm alongsideKevin McLaughlin and Denis Leamy in the back row.
Isaac Boss and Paddy Wallace will make up the half back partnership with Fergus McFadden, Johne Murphy and Geordan Murphy in the back three.
Ireland Select XV Team & Replacements (v Connacht, Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin, Thursday, August 18th, kick-off 6.30pm local):
15 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
14 - Johne Murphy (Young Munster/Munster)
13 - Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
12 - Ian Keatley (Munster)
11 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
10 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
9 - Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster)
1 - Tony Buckley (Sale)
2 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
6 - Kevin McLaughlin (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
7 - Shane Jennings (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Leinster)
Replacements:
16 - Damien Varley (Garryowen/Munster)
17 - Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Niall Ronan (Shannon/Munster)
20 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
21 - Denis Hurley (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Ian Whitten (Ballymena/Ulster)

Very happy to see Felix Jones starting!

Tomas O'Leary though....

Should've had Murray involved in the France match, and (imo) started Ferris vs Connacht
Get him 60mins vs them rather than 20 vs France

At least we know now a bit more.
- Murray won't go to world cup it seems unless Boss is overlooked.
- Jones has a great chance and it seems it straight fight between him and Geordan Murphy
- I believe it between Mike McCarthy and Donnacha Ryan for that spot with Kevin McLaughlin out of picture.
- McFadden I think is another who now seems to be out of the thinking
- Buckley is being seen as a LH prop and will probably go (All depends on if we bring 4 as expected or 5 props)
- I think Jennings has lost out too and well Stringer is practically finished with Ireland it seemed despite people saying he should've been a starter toward the end of 6N.

Happy with team against France (but for O'Leary).

Looks like a battle between Murphy and Jones for back-up full back.

The Connacht match could be interesting, with Jennings and Ferris I'm sure having ambitions of making the Ireland Squad. I'm also curios as to whether Keatley and Wallace might switch around at any point.

Also, I do not understand why they're not starting Flannery in any of the matches. He needs 80 at some point.

Hopefully they give ferris at least 30 minutes though I'd settle for 20.

the mighty fez is back!! good to see darcy back aswell

team looks breety good hopefully best can pull it together
tol?? hopefully he finds his 09 form

What if France win this game ? That would be 3 defeats in a row for Ireland (+ a poor 6 nations). What's the feeling in Ireland about national team ? People feel confident ?

What if France win this game ? That would be 3 defeats in a row for Ireland (+ a poor 6 nations). What's the feeling in Ireland about national team ? People feel confident ?

The side last week was much more experimental, this is getting closer to our strongest team. I think up till now any win would be a bonus, now as we move towards full strength we need two big performances against france and england to put us on the plane fighting fit and ready to go.

But lets be realistic, even if we lose both its the games next month that really count. What's key is we learn our strongest 15 but two incomplete performances against england and france could bring back the ghosts of 2007 in the players heads and none of us want to see that.

I'm feeling confident about saturday.

Not happy with O'Leary or Best but happy with all the other calls. Hope McCarthy takes his chance.
Agreed Snoop McCarthy really has a big chance and well will be interesting as I expect him to replace DOC around 60 min mark.

Flannery will I expect start the English game and use the USA game too to build up minutes and well face the facts lads Kidney has always rated O'Leary as his man and well Reddan didn't excel when in the shirt (not saying he was awful just didn't force the change of mind). Also as I said in previous games thread I spoke to C. Murray after last weeks game and he said he didn't expect or feel confident about going to World Cup and now I see why as it seems O'Leary, Reddan and Boss are Kidney's 3 men and in that order.

If McFadden is left out and Luke Fitz goes then that I think is possibly another injustice done and well I'd worry we aren't bringing form guys.

Great to see Felix Jones starting, but no Conor Murray? Not even on the bench? He better start against England, he's our best scrum half by a mile.

Not pleased with O'Leary's selection and I would have liked to have seen Boss or Murray start a test match. I still would have liked to have seen McFadden at 12 as he hasn't been given a chance there so how does Kidney know what Mcfadden can offer at inside centre at this level. I feel very sorry for Jennings he must be given a go against England. He has proven how he can influence a game even when coming off the bench, as shown in Leinsters final matches in the H-cup. He was also Leinsters best player in the Magners league final and he is in good form. He offers something that no other Irish backrower can. He is a dogged link man that can do the dirty work. He is very under rated and could be used so well against teams especially from the Southern Hemisphere. Buckley at Loose Head just why? I would have given Flannery the start in this match but as long as he starts against England I am happy.

Other than that I am very pleased with most other selections. Great to see Ferris back and hope he picks up where he left off and continues his great form from last year. Brilliant to see Jones getting his opportunity and he really has a brilliant chance of making the WC. Also good to see players being rotated.

Hopefully Irish wins in both games.

Latest posts