• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Johnno for England team manager

N

nick_w

From the BBC:

World Cup-winning captain Martin Johnson is set to be appointed to work alongside England coach Brian Ashton as team manager, BBC Sport understands.

Negotiations between the 38-year-old and the Rugby Football Union are believed to be in full swing.

Johnson is expected to be in place in time for England's tour of New Zealand in June.

"There's no doubt that he's been approached," said BBC rugby union correspondent Ian Robertson.

"They are into deep negotiations now and I'm sure he will be appointed.

"He will be manager of England when they go to New Zealand this summer."

Johnson led England to the World Cup in 2003, but has restricted himself to ambassadorial and media roles since his retirement as a player in 2005.

The former Leicester and Lions captain is revered as one of the best leaders the British game has ever produced.

England's inconsistency since their World Cup triumph has meant Johnson's name has often been linked with a role in the national set-up.

But he has previously ruled himself out of contention, citing his lack of experience as the main factor.

Speaking last week, Ashton, who is now expected to stay on in his role as head coach, said he would not want a new manager to become involved in coaching or selection.

"I don't want anyone who's going to interfere or get involved in the rugby side of things," said Ashton.

"...anyone who's going to interfere on the rugby side of things." What like Andrew??

Seriously, good to see someone with such experience and authority getting involved in the set-up. :bravo:

Would be a good move IMO.
He was a great captain and a great leader who never took a backward step. Will have the full repect of the players and hopefully he'll be able to bring all his experience to the table and help England move forward.

Also just read that Austin Healey might get the backs job. A good move in my eyes, he was a utility back when he was around, so knows about every position behind the scrum, he's also not scared to try new things out.

Should look something like this

Martin Johnson: Manager
Brian Ashton: Head Coach
Neil Back: Forward Coach
Austin Healey: Backs coach
Dave Reddin: Fitness
Mike Ford: Defence Coach

Prestwick says:

301.jpg

Looks like a real mess over there. I think the WRU and RFU chiefs were swapped under cover of darkness following the world cup, the WRU showing a clarity and decisiveness I thought was beyond them and the RFU betraying total incompetence.

Personally I'd just sack Brian Ashton and get Jake White in his stead. Ashton isn't a bad coach but the RFU haven't given him their full backing and undermined him, he'll never get absolute authority back now. Instead of trying to plaster over the cracks and throw old players with no managing experience in they should just start again with Jake White and let him choose his own people.

Sure Jake White plays conservative boring 10 man rugby but that's what England are good at. When they try to throw the ball around it all goes to pot.

Sure Jake White plays conservative boring 10 man rugby but that's what England are good at. When they try to throw the ball around it all goes to pot. [/b]

What about the Ireland game; We had a decent fly half who could throw the ball around and made the only decent performance of the past 2 years.

I don't think johnson will do what Ashton wants and not get involved in the rugby side of things. That said, i'm sure they could work well together.

Johnson would be a good coach, he has experience with a lot of the people in that england squad. But we would need a good backs coach if we were to have him

It is another cop out from the RFU just sack Ashton and get on with the future. Can someone please tell me why Rob Andrew is the supremo as his record in coaching is sub standard and he has done nothing but dither over the important issues.

It is another cop out from the RFU just sack Ashton and get on with the future. Can someone please tell me why Rob Andrew is the supremo as his record in coaching is sub standard and he has done nothing but dither over the important issues. [/b]

And also being an horrible player to watch: kick, kick, and kick again... :wall:

No wonder he gets along well with JW.. :toss:

Ashton should have gone.

Ashton is going to have the final say on who becomes team manager, so you can bet your ******** to a barn dance he won't let Johnno in as he will want more power when it comes to team selection, something Ashton isn't happy doing.

Phil de Glanville will probably come in now and be team manager. I can see it now, sitting down at a press conference with a lovely plaster over his nose to help him breath.

Don't often quote him, but I think Carling had it right back in the 90's. The RFU is an old boys club made up of "57 old farts." They are so incredibly out of touch with public opinion its astounding.

Latest posts