• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [2nd Test] (18/06/2016)

Can you name them?

Christian Cullen
Dan Carter
Nick Evans
Beuden Barrett
Aaron Cruden
Lima Sopoaga
Mils Muliaina
Israel Dagg
Ben Smith

Off the top of my head

Damien Mckenzie will be better
Kahui probably would've been if he wasn't plagued with injuries.

Christian Cullen
Dan Carter
Nick Evans
Beuden Barrett
Aaron Cruden
Lima Sopoaga
Mils Muliaina
Israel Dagg
Ben Smith

Off the top of my head

But you said dozens. Some of those compared to Spencer are questionable. Evans, Sopoaga, and Barrett in particular.

But you said dozens. Some of those compared to Spencer are questionable. Evans, Sopoaga, and Barrett in particular.

Do people forget how inconsistent Spencer was? And please, don't argue semantics, I said dozens loosely just to make the point we have many 1st 5's and fullbacks that were better than Spencer.

I even left out Merts and Fox.

Not trying to hop on the good side of anybody here but I reckon Carlos was better than Evans, Barrett and Sopoaga.

I just liked his style and he never really let anyone down. Good player!

Not trying to hop on the good side of anybody here but I reckon Carlos was better than Evans, Barrett and Sopoaga.

I just liked his style and he never really let anyone down. Good player!

Time will tell with Barrett and Sopoaga, but I have strong memories of Carlos being very inconsistent, especially for the All Blacks. Choke artist IMO.

Christian Cullen
Dan Carter
Nick Evans
Beuden Barrett
Aaron Cruden
Lima Sopoaga
Mils Muliaina
Israel Dagg
Ben Smith

Off the top of my head

Good on you for putting up a list and having a go but I think your pretty wide off the mark. Cruden, Sopoaga, Muliaina, Dagg have nowhere near Spencers Skillset. Though top end players and highly solid we are talking skillset here and not career achievements.

That leaves Cullen, Evans, Barrett and Smith

Cullen was an attacking force of nature but no ball player, field kicker or creator of attacking raids. Special but did not have the skill set of a Carlos Spencer.

Evans was a great loss to NZ Rugby and a fantastic player, highly complete in all areas except a power game but there was a tighter cap to his abilities than there was to Spencer.

Barrett has exceptional talent especially as a super sub, but it is based upon the speed of play he brings rather than the control over a match that he has. Spencer was a significant reason the Auckland blues won the first two Super ***les. Barrett rips open a game in a 20 minute period while spencer argubly did that better at super rugby level for longer periods.

Ben Smith is super talent as well, special talent, consistant and has great vision but he is not a play maker but rather a highly talented opportunist.

Dan Carter is a legend but a legend that people forget had many many games where he lacked control, execution and could go missing. Its just his stand out performances are so good he has lived off them to the extreme. Id argue that Carlos had a more extensive skillset at the line while carter was superior at playing the field/ CLose battle for skillsets none the least

Mckenzie - I hope your right but at the moment he is making his name on speed and is not seen as being good enough to run the chiefs at 10. So they play him at 15 instead.

You did a good job at highlighting players skill sets then undervaluing them. All those players were better at their skill sets than Spencer was in any department. You have simply overrated him and under valued players that have actually done something for the Black jersey.

Rewind back to 2003

Is this the outstanding all round "skill set" you are waffling on about on display?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no doubts you are a Blues fan, trying to survive of the fumes of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time will tell with Barrett and Sopoaga, but I have strong memories of Carlos being very inconsistent, especially for the All Blacks. Choke artist IMO.

Barrett did some bad kicks today. If you catch a replay of that game, actually scratch that cos doubt you'd watch that again but yeah he did some nowhere kicks.

- - - Updated - - -

You did a good job at highlighting players skill sets then undervaluing them. All those players were better at their skill sets than Spencer was in any department. You have simply overrated him and under valued players that have actually done something for the Black jersey.

Rewind back to 2003

Is this the outstanding all round "skill set" you are waffling on about on display?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no doubts you are a Blues fan, trying to survive of the fumes of the past.

Oh yeah I remember that. Carlos the "playmaker" got played like a puppet by Mortlock pulling all the strings. You know I never had an ounce of dislike for Carlos after that but yeah come to think of it, he was inconsistent.

Yep, this blokes transparent argument about Spencer being the "greatest playmaker" NZ has seen is laughable, it's actually more sad than anything, being a Blues fan must be nigh-on-impossible these days, maybe I should ease up.

Rewind back to 2003

- - - Updated - - -

Jeepers mate do you know how many shockers Carter had? all players have shockers this video highlights nothing. If Spencer was rubbish he would of never been an ALl Black at all. You know he won us our first test series against South Africa in South Africa since they came back right?

Also your confusing big time my point. I was not talking about career stats I was talking about skill sets, just so you know I worked several years with the NZ Rugby union and Carlos Spencer was seen by our greatest legends as having the best skillset of all our playmakers. He did not have the greatest career but he could do things with his passing and short kicking game others simply could not. Jonah Lomu, Jolie Vidiri, Eroni Clarke, Adrian Cashmore feasted on wha he dished up on a plate.

And NO I am not a blues fan though I support all NZ rugby. I am originally from Napier and a mad Hawkes Bay Magpies supporter. I just love rugby mate and have a few friends who play it :) at good levels.

Jeepers mate do you know how many shockers Carter had? all players have shockers this video highlights nothing. If Spencer was rubbish he would of never been an ALl Black at all. You know he won us our first test series against South Africa in South Africa since they came back right?

Also your confusing big time my point. I was not talking about career stats I was talking about skill sets, just so you know I worked several years with the NZ Rugby union and Carlos Spencer was seen by our greatest legends as having the best skillset of all our playmakers. He did not have the greatest career but he could do things with his passing and short kicking game others simply could not. Jonah Lomu, Jolie Vidiri, Eroni Clarke, Adrian Cashmore feasted on wha he dished up on a plate.

And NO I am not a blues fan though I support all NZ rugby. I am originally from Napier and a mad Hawkes Bay Magpies supporter. I just love rugby mate and have a few friends who play it :) at good levels.

You worked several years with the NZRU? Lovely, what was your position there, was it talking up players and overrating them?

- - - Updated - - -

In the job interview, did you tell Steve Tew Spencer banged his mum to get the job?

just so you know I worked several years with the NZ Rugby union and Carlos Spencer was seen by our greatest legends as having the best skillset of all our playmakers.
Just so you guys know I worked with Australian and South African union. Carry on, sorry to interrupt..

Are you management?

Users with blue user names are Mods

User with Red user names are Admins

They all have "TRF_" prefixes on their user names.

- - - - -

Why does every thread on rugby matches in this forum have to turn into a pointless sh¡tfight over which player is better that which? Its tiresome, and boring and is one of the reasons why I don't post here as much as I used to.

- - - - -

Why does every thread on rugby matches in this forum have to turn into a pointless sh¡tfight over which player is better that which? Its tiresome, and boring and is one of the reasons why I don't post here as much as I used to.

Thank you. I've found one.

- - - - -

In most countries, it's usually the private schooled and educated that play rugby, in NZ it's all the classes that play, so we have a fair share of plonkers with silly opinions.

You worked several years with the NZRU? Lovely, what was your position there, was it talking up players and overrating them?

- - - Updated - - -

In the job interview, did you tell Steve Tew Spencer banged his mum to get the job?

Your a winner mate

You're*

Not nearly as much of a winner as you.

That would be correct given the intellectual expanse of your posts including your marvelous list of players you put up proves your somewhat of a retard.

I just shared it with a few of the boys and we are laughing our heads off. Oh well, all the best mate, Ka pai

That would be correct given the intellectual expanse of your posts including your marvelous list of players you put up proves your somewhat of a retard.

I just shared it with a few of the boys and we are laughing our heads off. Oh well, all the best mate, Ka pai

'Marvelous list of players' as in most of the best players in the world currently while claiming Spencer is some sort of diety and you're going around slinging the word 'retard' around?

Oh dear.

Ka Mate, nightmarehitter, have a break, and when you come back, please be more polite in your disagreements.

Everyone else - lets get back to the topic.

Latest posts