• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018] USA vs. Scotland (17/06/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

Rn6kOPF.png
j7lEIMe.png
I2IwG7n.png

Venue: BBVA Compass Stadium
Time: 02:00 (CAT, GMT+2)

Scotland to win this but not by as much as people are expecting. USA in their last two games put 60 points on Russia and Uruguay showain't that they've improved a lot

Who's watching this? It looks close!

EDIT: TRY! USA take the lead! 30-24

Scottish commentators: "Houston, we have a problem"

Scotland are letting the pressure get to them now and making several dumb mistakes.

------------------------------

The USA earn 2.00 RP and are unlucky to be chasing moving targets this week, so they stay in 15th. But closing in on Tonga and would even be favourites at home vs Georgia or Japan now. They also have a big enough gap ahead of Romania and Samoa that they'd be favourites on tour there.

10. Argentina 76.73 RP
-gap-
11. Japan 74.19 RP
12. Georgia 74.12 RP
13. Italy 72.56 RP
14. Tonga 71.87 RP
15. USA 71.39 RP
-gap-
16. Romania 68.25 RP
17. Samoa 68.24 RP

Last edited:
I assume that the conditions were tough for Scotland but still a shocker, how strong was the match day 23?

Also, Argentina could be sniffing a quick way to turn their fortunes around next week...

From how the commentators were talking, the Scottish side was full of young guys who needed to be tested under pressure.

This is only the 2nd time ever the USA have beaten a Tier 1 side. The last time was vs France at the 1924 Paris Olympics!

Last edited:
From how the commentators were talking, the Scottish side was full of young guys who needed to be tested under pressure.

This is only the 2nd time ever the USA have beaten a Tier 1 side. The last time was vs France at the 1924 Paris Olympics!

Yeah finally found the team and was decidedly under strength, particularly in the pack. Still, not good optics at this point in a World Cup cycle.

I think Scotland are in a place Wales are finally emerging out of after what seems like forever... namely, they have a great first XV but will struggle if a few players pick up an injury.

Absolutely delighted for the USA! I had a feeling they would run Scotland close after seeing the lineup announced but I didn't think they would win. This is a great result for the sport.
Anyone who could send the full match/highlights would be appreciated

I watched this match live. I was confused at first when the announcer was saying "this is the most important 5 minutes of these players lives" towards the end. I caught a portion of a USA match at the last world cup, but other than that this was the first time I'd watched them. Very enjoyable knowing a bit of the strategy thanks to the nice South African gentleman I sat next to in DC recently. I enjoy following soccer at the national team level. Think I might try and give this a shot.

I'm not sure how usual that Scottish try at the end of the match was or how usual it is to miss a conversion, but it reminded me of an old NFL ending.

how usual it is to miss a conversion

In the middle of the field, you should be getting 95%+ of the conversions. Out in the corner like it was it's more like 60-80%.
(at a guess, depending on the wind and how good your kicker is)

Scotland put all that work in to bring the ball in front of the posts so the kicker would have an easy conversion, I was really surprised when they brought it all the way back to the corner to score. I guess the Eagles knew what they were doing putting up a solid narrow defense there, and it paid off.

Much like the Ireland V NZ game from Chicago a few years back, these exhibition matches don't count. So don't worry Scotland, no serious rugby fan really considers or cares about this loss because it's not a real loss.

Much like the Ireland V NZ game from Chicago a few years back, these exhibition matches don't count. So don't worry Scotland, no serious rugby fan really considers or cares about this loss because it's not a real loss.
Not sure if you're serious...

Except it's not an exhibition match, it's a test match hosted in a city that already has a Major League Rugby team.

USA vs Maori All Blacks was an exhibition match, sure. And true, Scotland intentionally fielded a weak team to give their reserves a run. But Scotland is on an American tour and is currently 1-1, and facing Argentina in the decider. History has been made and it counts.

Last edited:
That's just not true.
1. Not an exhibition match
2. I think lots of rugby fans should care about this loss - the gap between teir 1 and 2 may be closing

Latest posts