• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand Maori v Ireland - Friday 18th (19.35 NZ/8.35 Irish) - Rotorua Int Stad

Didn't have Gear picked for a 100kg player either, Horgan still has 5 kilos on him but as I said earlier Power > weight so Horgan could well be screwed.

I'll be honest, I know little about the Maori tight 5 apart from Isaac Ross because of his run in the AB's and his controversial dropping and the like, so I'm going basing my oppinions on what various kiwis are saying about the Maori tight 5. They could be awesome for all I know.

Ireland's scrum should be good, Court is our best scrummaging front row but offers little else, Horan and Fogs are solid.

Have you actually seen the guy before? he is an actual monster, he looks as if his diet consists entirely of small children and fear.
It says on his profile that he is 100kg, but that profile was created some time ago, he has bulked up considerably in the last couple of years and i would actually wager that Hosea outweighs Horgan at this point.

I think we're all missing the point. Johnny Sexton is at 10. The man who scored all of our points against South Africa, the man who's epic drop goal in the 09' HC final still lives in the memory. The best attacking 10 Ireland has produced since David Humphreys. We're sorted. Here's a little video of him in action:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quinlan is 35 and will be 36 in preseason. Great player and the Irish team would have been a lot stronger against NZ or the Maori with him on the blinside. Really is the only Irish player who can get away with killing opposition ball like some of the top class international backrow players.

Agree with that 100% munsterman. Also feic Jonny is no good if he has no ball. I think we will be defending too much and well Quinny wouldve added experience in the backrow which is what we crave

Agree with that 100% munsterman. Also feic Jonny is no good if he has no ball. I think we will be defending too much and well Quinny wouldve added experience in the backrow which is what we crave
Sexton's definately the better option then, he's a much stronger defender than O'Gara

Sexton's definately the better option then, he's a much stronger defender than O'Gara
Not disputing that but was making point that Sexton can't make a massive impact when we have no ball.
I know if we have ball he can ignite the back although I think in fairness he hasn't got 2 running centres outside him so well he will be under pressure.

And well if the Maori get going they could put 40+ points on us I fear.

I'm not going to get up early to watch this game. Half the team are picked because they're the last man standing and all momentum and confidence has drained out of the squad too. They should be on a on holidays at this stage relaxing and recharging the batteries for next season.

I'm feeling less and less optimistic about this one all the time :(

Reddan, Sexton, Wallace, Murphy = no shortage of creativity, our backs will be class.

Ruddock, Ronan, Henry = will our backs get the ball?

Ah come on lads, Quinlan is a great player and all that, I'd love to see him playing on friday. But next season could be his last, he'll be over 37 for the WC. I'd prefer to play some one who could be around for the next 2-3 WC's like Ruddock, or if they were fit McLoughlin or Ferris. Keep the faith in Deccie & Co.

Feic, we've had one out half since Humphreys. He is stronger than O'Gara, but with limited ball is he as effective??

Ah come on lads, Quinlan is a great player and all that, I'd love to see him playing on friday. But next season could be his last, he'll be over 37 for the WC. I'd prefer to play some one who could be around for the next 2-3 WC's like Ruddock, or if they were fit McLoughlin or Ferris. Keep the faith in Deccie & Co.

Feic, we've had one out half since Humphreys. He is stronger than O'Gara, but with limited ball is he as effective??

I think you're forgetting Jeremy Staunton and Paddy Wallace!

Sexton is a very good player and in my humble opinion, our best option at ten. He offers more of a running threat than O'Gara and is more solid in defence. In a game in which we may struggle to gain primary possession these skills may be vital. There's no point kicking the ball away and handing possession back to Maori. Our linout isn't strong enough to compete with enough frequency to play a territory dominated game so the best bet is to keep it in hand and run at the Maori with the likes of Sexton, Murphy, Wallace and Trimble deep and hitting the line with pace. While our backrow is small, it's very quick which should aid the kind of game we want to play. We'll do ok.

Stauton played a handful of games. 5/6 maybe? and Wallace up until a year or so ago was a good utility back. Neither worth comparing with ROG. Although it's good to see some competition between him and Sexton now, a bit like Rog and Humphreys of a decade ago. I agree about his running and defense. But there's not much to offer, attack wise outside him Bar G. Murphy, although i haven't seen much of Johne Murphy. Trimble isn't playing, I think they have him, O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Bowe, and Wally wraped in cotton wool until the Oz game.

Ah yes, Jeremy "I'm a turd" Manning. God knows he was worth the investment.

You're all forgetting the mad genius that is Ian "Beard of Power" Humphries.

You may not win, but at least you'll be entertained!

What are the chances of Ireland winning tomorrow realistically?

I think the only thing we will learn tomorrow is which fringe players really have the bottle for International rugby

I'd say if they keep it tight until around 55-60 minutes, we have a decent chance of winning. Add, The Bull, Wally, and Kearney around then and they should be able to push on to win. But with the players that are starting, should we really be too worried about the result. If you look at the starting forwards, only 2/3 of those will be in New Zealand next autumn. I'd say four out of the backs will go to the WC. So it's really only 6/7 fringe players. Are you going to watch it Munstermuffin?

I'll be watching it have the few hours off any work and well I will be glued to see who has it in them.
I just hope Ruddock goes well as this is a massive hurdle for him but if we win Id consider this a superb win that would rank up there but it hard to see

Latest posts