• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Ireland vs. South Africa (11/11/2017)

On paper one should be over the moon at a 38-3 victory over SA but it feels kind of empty. It was a kinda crappy weekend of rugby. Looking forward to England Australia and Scotland New Zealand.

France SA might be good to see where both teams really stand but the rugby will probably be pretty meh tbh

On paper one should be over the moon at a 38-3 victory over SA but it feels kind of empty. It was a kinda crappy weekend of rugby. Looking forward to England Australia and Scotland New Zealand.

France SA might be good to see where both teams really stand but the rugby will probably be pretty meh tbh
Completely agree why should you demean yourselves by playing SA when you can get better quality rugby in the 6n.

I have never seen such a mentally fragile SA team. We have HUGE problems. I honestly hope we lose the rest of our matches this tour just so we can see AC fired.

Well, I think I called this game 27-24 to Ireland.

Ireland first -

They should've scored more points early. They scored 17 points with Murray and Sexton on. Considering that they were playing against monkeys wearing boxing gloves that is not enough. The one try that they scored was also from a garbage mistake from SA. This is supposed to be the best team that Ireland has ever had and I do not think that they are very good compared to England, New Zealand, Australia, maybe even Scotland, and classic French sides.

OK South Africa -

Let's try not to over react too much. Boks were clearly nervous playing away in the 1st half. The try they conceded was from a dog's breakfast. Other than that try they held it together from a systems standpoint quite well. Individually not so much. The game was already over by the time Ireland scored more points in the 2nd half. A closer game in the 1st half would be a different game in the 2nd half.

Hold judgement 'til the end of the tour. Ireland was always going to be the toughest game and I think that SA psyched themselves out a bit. At this phase in the Boks development judge them on the response over the next few weeks.

There are no easy answers for the Boks, SA rugby and by extension World Rugby. The professional era coupled with SA's poor economic performance are the main drivers of the team's decline.

Fire AC?

Who wants the job? You think Rassie wants to deal with all of the day-to-day stress and pressure? No he doesn't. Ackerman? You can say that hiring AC over him was a mistake at the time but he doesn't want the job now. An international coach? Who? And is SA rugby OK with that? SA has well developed rugby structures. The union should respect and use them.

Get rid of the 30 cap rule?

How will these players be managed? The Rugby Chmspionship is outside the international window. Clubs that sign SH players expect them to take their club jobs first. If there is no cap rule there is nothing keeping high quality players in SA. Without high quality players who is going to care about Super Rugby in SA? If no one cares about Super Rugby, and revenues decline in accordance with the audience, how will provinces pay coaches and develop players? I think that the cap rule should be increased to 60 like Aus. The Springboks are a decent enterprise and can pay OK. If a player wants to play for the Boks then they should play in SA. Bismarck, Steyn and the like don't want to play for the Boks right now so let them be and stop treating them like a solution. It is both ignorant of the core problems and unfair to them as individuals.

Go back to a forward centric playing style?

The Boks could do this and try and compete like England and Ireland. BUT, they will lose to their direct SH rivals NZ and AUS. NH teams regularly lose to them as well. I think that SA are on the right track, it's the fans that lack patience.

The old players need to be let go, overseas selection will kill SA rugby in the medium and long term and there is no immeadiate option to AC. The Boks in an awkward stage and everyone just needs to understand that.

Get behind your team!!! Like Ireland and Scotland fans have done for years!!!

For the Bok players -

15 - AC played well. There's not much he could've done better. His style is conservative, but structure out of 15 is what SA want and need.

11 & 14 - totally outclassed. Leyds was no where all game and CS tried hard but lacked ability and was the primary person at fault for Ireland's 1st half try. I think that CS's opportunity should be over.

12 & 13 - nothing here as well. DDA and Kriel were both awful and did nothing to help the team. I want to see Venter and Am here next week.

10 - I have stood by EJ but he is done with me. Pollard next week 100%

9 - Ross tried hard but he is physically limited. Really showed in this game. Let's let Page start next week and give Ross a little time to clear his thoughts.

8 - FL is an excellent example of how older, overseas players just don't help. He is being relied on quite heavily due to his experience but his contribution does not match. Let him go! Allow for Cassiem, Mahoje or PSDT to start at 8.

6 & 7 - I thought PSDT was good and SK underwhelming. It appears that SK needs to play in a more free flowing style. He's not a grinder. Sadly, he might not be a good fit with test rugby.

4 & 5 - no problem here. EE is great and I think that that LDL has cemented his place.

Front 3 - nothing to improve on here. Unfortunate injury to CO early but I have no complaints about anyone's performance.

Was keen to watch this and had recorded it for later viewing, but the f##king stupid cocksuckers at BeIN sports kept spoiling the score during the Wales game so I didn't bother. Do these idiots not get that some people may not actually not want to know the score if a game is being played simultaneously? If I desperately need to know I'll ******* look it up online!

Sorry, but I had to rant about that..

Well, I think I called this game 27-24 to Ireland.

Ireland first -

They should've scored more points early. They scored 17 points with Murray and Sexton on. Considering that they were playing against monkeys wearing boxing gloves that is not enough. The one try that they scored was also from a garbage mistake from SA. This is supposed to be the best team that Ireland has ever had and I do not think that they are very good compared to England, New Zealand, Australia, maybe even Scotland, and classic French sides.

Oh come off it. We've literally beaten Eng, NZ and Aus in the last year. One try? Didn't you watch the whole match? Nobody is saying it's the best side we've ever had. It was our first game, obviously going to be rusty + lions hangover, 2 pretty new wings, new cap in midfield, misfiring backrow, and a really inexperienced bench. We didn't even play overly well and still had a 35 point swing. To say we are potentially not even comparable to Scotland is an utterly ridiculous statement.

Oh come off it. We've literally beaten Eng, NZ and Aus in the last year. One try? Didn't you watch the whole match? Nobody is saying it's the best side we've ever had. It was our first game, obviously going to be rusty + lions hangover, 2 pretty new wings, new cap in midfield, misfiring backrow, and a really inexperienced bench. We didn't even play overly well and still had a 35 point swing. To say we are potentially not even comparable to Scotland is an utterly ridiculous statement.

I am not trying to be critical. But for all the class that Murry and Sexton have I don't think that Ireland score enough tries. I might be spoiled by SH rugby but I also think the Rhys Webb creates more end product than Murry. Sorry. I just think that Webb, Genia, Smith, Perinara are better. Sexton also nearly conceded as many penelties as he kicked.

And you did lose to Scotland last year, so using your own logic....

Nice win for Ireland. Hope they can take this lvl of play into the RWC. They deserve at least a semi final or final.

As per the books they will get it eventually. They need to their minds up again, i think for a lot of time if things went south they could rely on their physical strength and now they cant cause a lot of teams cached up. So they found them self's in an odd place.

Great game by Ireland, I thought they showed great composure to absorb the SA pressure, particularly in the 20 mins after half time. They really dominated the game across the park and in all of the set pieces. The decision making was first class, great use of the kick and fantastic under the high ball.

Not much to say for SA, they seem to have slowly lost form and confidence over the last 6 months, they have gone back into their shell and with no confidence and not much form, trying to play the sort of open expansive game they were developing becomes very difficult. Could be a long tour for them.

Ireland certainly looked the best of the NH sides by a fair margin this weekend.

Alpha said it was best ever. Yeah I think Alha said we were best ever. Let's put blame on him.

@AM_Bokke. Murray and Sexton are there to win games. And they play to system in place by coach. And as I predicted Ireland hammered South Africa.

On you not rating both I'd just say wow as universally majority agree they in top 2 of their position. The question would be why can't any of those top guys consistently outshine vs Ireland.

For the Bok players -

15 - AC played well. There's not much he could've done better. His style is conservative, but structure out of 15 is what SA want and need.

11 & 14 - totally outclassed. Leyds was no where all game and CS tried hard but lacked ability and was the primary person at fault for Ireland's 1st half try. I think that CS's opportunity should be over.

12 & 13 - nothing here as well. DDA and Kriel were both awful and did nothing to help the team. I want to see Venter and Am here next week.

10 - I have stood by EJ but he is done with me. Pollard next week 100%

9 - Ross tried hard but he is physically limited. Really showed in this game. Let's let Page start next week and give Ross a little time to clear his thoughts.

8 - FL is an excellent example of how older, overseas players just don't help. He is being relied on quite heavily due to his experience but his contribution does not match. Let him go! Allow for Cassiem, Mahoje or PSDT to start at 8.

6 & 7 - I thought PSDT was good and SK underwhelming. It appears that SK needs to play in a more free flowing style. He's not a grinder. Sadly, he might not be a good fit with test rugby.

4 & 5 - no problem here. EE is great and I think that that LDL has cemented his place.

Front 3 - nothing to improve on here. Unfortunate injury to CO early but I have no complaints about anyone's performance.

You are basically changing everyone except your tight 5 and fullback! It's not very realistic but i can't disagree. I'd cut the wingers a little slack as what are they meant to achieve with that centre combination feeding them? But yes, they haven't covered themselves in glory.

It's like AC goes out of his way to select wingers and half backs whose skill set least matches his kick orientated tactics. It's bemusing.

I'd say that is the best XV Ireland has ever put out. They outplayed the Boks upfront by some margin and finally selected enough athletic ability in the wings to turn periods of dominance into lots of points (which has been an Achilles heel for them).

The Boks were poor but many sides would have been put to the sword by Schmidt yesterday. If he can trust these younger, more dangerous wingers defensively then I might even make them favourites for the 6N (or at least nailed on for 4 wins and a competitive match at Twickenham).

I said best squad! We've had better 15s and 22/23s but our depth right now is unprecedented. That team is at worst the third best team in the world right now and we're starting to see a clear top 4 in World rugby.

Latest posts