• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Scotland Vs England (04/02/2012 - 17:00)

Well after watching today's game I don't think we stand any chance against Wales, Ireland of France. I hope Youngs will find some form soon as we don't have many other better scrum halfs. On top of that I think we Tuilangi is back our attacking force will be much better. I think Youngs will perform a lot better with Flood outside him as they are used to each other at club level. I think Hodgson plays a completely different style to him.

Well after watching today's game I don't think we stand any chance against Wales, Ireland of France. I hope Youngs will find some form soon as we don't have many other better scrum halfs. On top of that I think we Tuilangi is back our attacking force will be much better. I think Youngs will perform a lot better with Flood outside him as they are used to each other at club level. I think Hodgson plays a completely different style to him.

I don't think there's much between France, Ireland,England or Wales

I think England will get ruined by Wales and Ireland.

Wales'll dominate the breakdown, Ireland will dominate the lineout, and they've both got the finishing skills to convert it into points.

Fingers crossed France will blow up vs us like they normally do, but I'm not sure they will...

I think England will get ruined by Wales and Ireland.

Wales'll dominate the breakdown, Ireland will dominate the lineout, and they've both got the finishing skills to convert it into points.

Fingers crossed France will blow up vs us like they normally do, but I'm not sure they will...

Bad news old boy, we're in Paris not HQ.

I'm going to stay optimistic. This team is clearly a work in progress, it's got Italy next week which is not mission impossible, then it's got a break - that gives them time to work on their defensive alignment and rucking over, get used to playing with each other, get a few key players in better form and so on. We've also got some very useful players coming back. If all goes well, we'll look a more cohesive unit in a couple of games. A lot of these players have beaten all three of the named teams in the last 12 months, it's just a matter of getting our confidence back and nailing our basics again and we've got a shot.

Yes, Ireland, Wales and France all showed better than us this weekend, but there we go. We won't give away the size disadvantage that Ireland's midfield did to the Jolly Red Giants, and Wales were pretty wasteful. Ireland still have some major problems and if we can slow their ball down and get Tuilagi and some other big boys running at their centres, we'll have some joy of it. A team with more out wide than Italy could have given France real problems, we've got more out wide. Potentially at least.

We're still the underdogs, but it's doable. Well. If things go well against Italy anyway.

Bad news old boy, we're in Paris not HQ.

I'm going to stay optimistic. This team is clearly a work in progress, it's got Italy next week which is not mission impossible, then it's got a break - that gives them time to work on their defensive alignment and rucking over, get used to playing with each other, get a few key players in better form and so on. We've also got some very useful players coming back. If all goes well, we'll look a more cohesive unit in a couple of games. A lot of these players have beaten all three of the named teams in the last 12 months, it's just a matter of getting our confidence back and nailing our basics again and we've got a shot.

Yes, Ireland, Wales and France all showed better than us this weekend, but there we go. We won't give away the size disadvantage that Ireland's midfield did to the Jolly Red Giants, and Wales were pretty wasteful. Ireland still have some major problems and if we can slow their ball down and get Tuilagi and some other big boys running at their centres, we'll have some joy of it. A team with more out wide than Italy could have given France real problems, we've got more out wide. Potentially at least.

We're still the underdogs, but it's doable. Well. If things go well against Italy anyway.

If we continue to improve and yes I argee it is a big ask to beat Wales. We beat them twice last year so all is not lost and they don't tend to go well at Twickenham.

Still going to be tough but ever the optimist.

Apparantly Hodgson injured his shoulder before getting taken off and is a doubt for Italy. So I guess Farrell will start with Flood on the bench. Would be good if Flood was fit enough to start though. I'm not sure about a Barritt - JTH centre partnership but I guess that's our only option unless we get a centre from Saxons as an injury replacement for Hodgson.

Where did Mike Brown play when he came on? Was he outside centre?

Interesting - not sure who would get called up from the Saxons. Presumably one of Burns or Lamb, though it could well be a centre. Doesn't really matter though as neither will be used as Flood will be worked in to the squad from the next game.

Interesting - not sure who would get called up from the Saxons. Presumably one of Burns or Lamb, though it could well be a centre. Doesn't really matter though as neither will be used as Flood will be worked in to the squad from the next game.

I'd assume they'd promote Goode as fly-half cover again.

Ah, completely forgot that Goode had gone up before - it'll be him again.

I think there were some positives on Saturday for England.

We didn't give away a load of stupid penalties for the first time in quite a while.
The front row went well which is good considering the Scotland front row got the better of us in the World cup - that'll be because we put a recognised loose head in the starting XV this time !
I thought Botha was a handful in the loose

However we need Tuilagi back as no-one in the backs looked liked scoring tries
I wonder how far Lawes is off being fit? If not fit I like Parling, maybe he should get a start ?
Youngs isn't looking sharp but the other choices are dropping like flies. I'd have started wih Dickson if he hadn't picked up that injury.
Ashton also isn't looking sharp. We're not short of good wingers. Maybe that needs considering. Maybe Sharples

However all in all I wasn't expecting to win this game. We've struggled at Murrayfield in the past and lets face it if the Scots had come to play an experienced England team at Twickenham with a team full of rookies and won - however unconvincing the victory they'd have been crowing about it for years. So maybe we should give the England team some credit for grinding out a win.

We need a big improvement for Wales though. Hopefully we'll have some of our injured players back and if we can put pressure on them in the front 5 and we'll not be giving a size advantage to them in midfield I'm optomistic we have a chance although we're a long way off being favourates. Let's see how Italy goes maybe we'll get a chance to get our back line moving and we know the forwards will be given a good game.

Great to find out Dixon is fit for the Italy game. I would start:
1) Corbisiero
2) Hartley
3) Cole
4) Botha
5) Palmer
6) Croft
7) Robshaw
8) Morgan

9) Youngs
10) Flood
11) Strettle
12) Farrell
13) Barritt
14) Ashton
15) Foden

I'd bring on Dixon after about 50-60 minutes, earlier if Flood and Youngs are not working well together. Also If Flood can't manage the full game, the new replacement for Hodgson should come on.

In the pack Morgan in for Dowson, then a backline of:

Dickson
Flood
Ashton
Barritt
Turner-Hall
Strettle
Foden

would be very, very solid.

Wish Lowe was fit and in the team instead of Turner-Hall though.

Last edited:
Would have Sharples over Ashton, but apart from that that'd be my backs too.
Replace Turner-Hall with Tuilagi the following round (presuming Tuilagi is back and in contention by then) and that'd be our strongest set of backs in EPS, imo.

If we're going to persist with Robshaw and Croft in the backrow, I'd like to see Robshaw focus on doing the carrying along with Morgan. (We looked as if we didn't have any against Scotland.) Croft isn't adding anything at the minute, so task him with shadowing whoever is free out of Robshaw and Morgan and clearing out rucks for quick ball. He can do this until we've got Wood around again. Youngs has had too many opportunities and is dropped. JTH starts, not because I particularly like him, but we need some physical presence in the centers - he replaces Farrell and he'll eventually be replaced by Tuilagi. Flood and Sharples in. The kicking game stops now and the first receiver starts flatter. If we do all this, then we have the resources to look good...

I'll repeat, I think everyone is being far too harsh on England's midfield/ backline for not looking dangerous on Saturday. To look dangerous you need to have quick ball, and England barely even had any slow ball. For which we have the back row/ pack to thank. A miserable day at Murrayfield with a bunch of rookies is not the day to judge a midfield on their attacking abilities.

If Flood is fit, who's to say he'll be at any level of form? Yes of course he would be first pick normally, but too often in the past England have thrown in players based on reputation when they've been carrying an injury or simply horribly lacking in gametime - look at Cipriani a few years back. We'll have to trust Lancaster's judgement on this one, but I hope he would only think of starting Flood if he was sure he could play 60 minutes of top class rugby.

If so, then a midfield of 10. Flood, 12. Farrell, 13. Barritt would be the best option. I can't see how people think they're making any sense moaning about a lack of attacking threat and then suggesting a midfield of Barritt and Turner-Hall - Farrell may be no Quade Cooper, but he's more of a footballer than either of those two. If Flood isn't deemed fit enough, then Lancaster will name an unchanged midfield, which I wouldn't disagree with too much, although on principle I don't want Hodgson there - so I'd have 10. Farrell, 12. Barritt, 13. Turner-Hall.

Flood played half an hour or so for Tigers on Saturday - though a snowy day at Welford Road will be slightly different to Italy.

I think he'll be on the bench with Farrell at 10 (Hodgson potentially injured, but I'm not sure he'd start anyway)

I am not sure if i was watching another game but i really liked the look of the new boys. I thought Botha was immense very good in the loose, and was practicularly everywhere! if he plays like that and is consistent (something palmer seems to struggle with these days) i keep him to start every game in the 6Ns. I really think Lawes has to EARN his place as Lock and not be thrusted in the team based on his past performances.

I also thought Barrit was great in defence his positioning was great and provided good protection, tackled all day long! he should start.
Robshaw was great high workrate and i be surprised if he wasn't in the top 5 person who made the most tackles in the game.

BTW anybody know the player stats for who made the most tackles/ball carrys/errors etc etc

I am not sure if i was watching another game but i really liked the look of the new boys. I thought Botha was immense very good in the loose, and was practicularly everywhere! if he plays like that and is consistent (something palmer seems to struggle with these days) i keep him to start every game in the 6Ns. I really think Lawes has to EARN his place as Lock and not be thrusted in the team based on his past performances.

I also thought Barrit was great in defence his positioning was great and provided good protection, tackled all day long! he should start.
Robshaw was great high workrate and i be surprised if he wasn't in the top 5 person who made the most tackles in the game.

BTW anybody know the player stats for who made the most tackles/ball carrys/errors etc etc

Scrum.com always produce some reasonably detailed in-game stats - the England vs Scotland match can be found here (simply slick on the "Eng stats' tab to get the stats for the England players).

Last edited:
apparently Dowson won 4 turnovers, the most from either team. The kind of thing that makes me think I should just not comment in future ( I described him as anonymous, along with a few others) Obviously this stat doesnt prove he was amazing but its something

Latest posts