• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Europe Championship 2018

Fercu seemed strangely emotional at the end. I take it he wanted to take a quick tap rather than a lineout? I don't know why he was getting so worked up about it.

Georgia 23 - 10 Spain

Way better than what was expected and waiting to watch some highlights

Fercu seemed strangely emotional at the end. I take it he wanted to take a quick tap rather than a lineout? I don't know why he was getting so worked up about it.

I suspect they were arguing about how bonus point is awarded and if this is true than it's a shame they don't know the system. But surely there is some sort of emotional problems in the squad, they need to get over it fast.

Spain is annihilating Germany :eek:
More points gained than the minutes played...

I was there

We have a reliable kicker, players didn't lose focus and tried hard to keep Germany from score a try...There were tries out of creativity in open play, mauls, etc and not only by taking advantage of opposition errors

I very much enjoyed the match and...Another thing great; the King of Spain was there to support the team. A big public endorsement which would make the sport more appealing on the eyes of the average Spaniard who by the way, likely doesn't even know a thing called rugby exists.

It was a very professional performance by Spain albeit against weak opposition. They're looking the part now and they've come a long way in the past year. I'm seeing the foundations of a good team here and the potential market in Spain is huge.

The fact that crowds are regularly hitting 15,000 or so is great news and as you say, the King of Spain being there is great for publicity of the sport.
I think the Champions Cup final is in Bilbao this year also, is that correct? If so, another good move to increase interest and awareness of the sport.

Who have Spain got in the June internationals? I think for them to play against a side like Samoa or Tonga would be a good challenge but I believe Romania are playing them(?).
A tier 1 test would be huge for them but that's never going to happen this year.

There are no June internationals for Spain until we achieve the job this Sunday. The word is World Rugby meets on March 21 to review funding (Europe 1 receives a bigger subsidy) and allocate test matches for next window. European sides have three possibilities: North America, Pacific Islands or Nations Cup.

I think the Champions Cup final is in Bilbao this year also, is that correct? If so, another good move to increase interest and awareness of the sport.

Yes it is. But I guess it won't be broadcasted outside satellite. There have been Champions Cup matches before in Spanish soil when teams like Biarritz, Bayonne or USAP are ahead on QF and such and they want a huge crowd their stadiums can't acommodate and locals just go like...oh yeah, those crazy guys from across the Pyrenees and their bizarre sports and customs

Who have Spain got in the June internationals? I think for them to play against a side like Samoa or Tonga would be a good challenge but I believe Romania are playing them(?).
A tier 1 test would be huge for them but that's never going to happen this year.

What about US Eagles in June and Argentina in November?

Good shout, USA would be a good challenge as they're on the up at the moment. I'd like to see Spain play Canada as well after last year's loss against them, would be good to see how far they've come in that time.
Then, as you say, a test against Argentina to round off the tour would be great.

So Mr. World Rugby agent reading this forum (;)) please make this happen

June, if we qualify this weekend, could be USA, Canada and Uruguay.

In November: Fiji if we are lucky, or Tonga (which already played in Spain two years ago), plus american sides.

Argentina has already booked three matches in November, so it is not possible. And we are not prepared yet for such a team.

Argentina had four matches in 2016 November Window instead of three as they had in 2017...Regarding the issue of being prepared or not, well Spain faced Australia in November of 2001! Very even it wasn't.

But yeah, I know what you mean. We'll see what comes up and of course we'll have to book matches for 2019 June and at least a warm up summer match before the World Cup

we'll have to book matches for 2019 June and at least a warm up summer match before the World Cup
This must be all very exciting for a native Spaniard with the prospect of qualifying for the World Cup to face top sides for the first time in a while. I am actually pretty excited myself for them, especially given the potential in Spanish rugby. This all being said, it must all be very depressing reading for any Romanian or Russian reader seeing that Spain is well and truly 'flavour of the month' and also on the rise (sorry @amz I had to;)).

Uruguay are about Spain's level I think so they'd be a great warm up match.

Let's wait until this weekend. Belgium has called up a very decent side, closer to what they fielded against Germany than what was sent to Romania. I expect a very close game and if Spain isn't clinical we could get into trouble.

This all being said, it must all be very depressing reading for any Romanian or Russian reader seeing that Spain is well and truly 'flavour of the month' and also on the rise (sorry @amz I had to;)).

LOL no problem, is good for Spanish rugby, they have their merits on this that cannot be denied. But all that potential was there all the time and they face the same difficulties with us (niche sports, dependence at least partly on French clubs, competition for other team sports handball, football, basketball) . Flavor of the month is fine, I wonder if will become flavor of the year based on a single significant win as the tendency seem to be :) Not going into the full ancestry stuff..

What bothers me are other issues like lack of chances were given to Romania by World Rugby with last test match vs a T1 which makes Oaks inexperienced in difficult matches, only 2 tests last November despite being winner of REC, meaningless tests vs Brazil home (would have been better away, Romania was already in Americas one week before) instead of visiting Brazil or better places teams like Uruguay and USA. I mean, based on ranking difference at the moment of the match, Romania should have played in Auckland, Sydney on London if it would have been given the same chance as Brazil

The treatment we are getting year after year is unfair. This is what bothers me.

Mind, Canada is getting T1 tests home every year despite being crap (we beat them like 4-5 times and last time in 14 men 60 minutes away). They will have Scotland in June. Canadian schedule would make even a Georgian envious. Spain is getting Tonga home, a very good team without being anyway near the victory with Romania. Brazil is playing 15 places in rankings up. I understand they target some nations but this is made on the expanse of others.

Last edited:
Could someone tell me what the outcome is should Spain fail to get a bonus point (but still win) against Belgium? Does it go down to points difference?

I thought it was head to head, which Spain won - but the question is moot anyway because Romania are only 3 points ahead, not 4.
(and any points Romania get from the Georgia game this week don't count to RWC qualification)

In theory Spain can get a draw and still be Europe 1 - e.g. if Spain get 3 unconverted tries and Belgium get 5 penalty goals. But that will never happen.

Mind, Canada is getting T1 tests home every year despite being crap (we beat them like 4-5 times and last time in 14 men 60 minutes away). They will have Scotland in June. Canadian schedule would make even a Georgian envious. Spain is getting Tonga home, a very good team without being anyway near the victory with Romania. Brazil is playing 15 places in rankings up. I understand they target some nations but this is made on the expanse of others.
Let me explain why Tonga played Spain in 2016: a private investor decided to promote an international test match in Anoeta, San Sebastián. World Rugby said they should host Tier 2 sides just to see how things went, then target Tier 1 sides in the future. And they were given Tonga and USA. Since the USA had games planned against Maori All Blacks and Romania prior to this game, Tonga needed to be found a test match. And as they were going to make the trip to Spain anyway and there weren't many potential rivals left, World Rugby sent them here.

Latest posts