• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

backward steps have been made im afraid.
stop deleting peoples posts.

We are only deleting posts which have gone off topic, to ensure the thread flows well.

I think that its an average game, but since it's the only one for the time being I'm gonna have to pick it up. The demo on easy doesn't do it any favours. A couple of things ... once you master the fend / sidestep (Right Analogue stick) your gonna score a ton of tries. I easily got to scoring over 40 points in the demo. Also just to show how poor the "Easy" level AI is and how that bunching is still an issue i urge you to try this and see for yourself. Play as the boks and give the ball to a speedy back and then run all the way back to your own in goal in a diagonal line ans watach the entire opposing team chase you, when they get close, then run across the field and choose your moments to press the sprint button and you will guarantee to score a try. I hope the other difficulties will not have this issue present. I wish i could record a video of this and put it on youtube to show how poor the bunching and AI is.

Well there is also Rugby Challenge, who seem to have put in a lot more effort in making their new Rugby game and deserve to make a lot more money than this pile of garbage, which has remained the same core experience as the one we saw 6 years ago and yet there are still people in this thread defending it, amazing.

Well there is also Rugby Challenge, who seem to have put in a lot more effort in making their new Rugby game and deserve to make a lot more money than this pile of garbage, which has remained the same core experience as the one we saw 6 years ago and yet there are still people in this thread defending it, amazing.

Personally I will still be getting both games, I have played both and I enjoy RWC 2011 more than RC however that's not to discount it as a poor game, both games are building blocks in terms of building more Rugby Games, they have both been developed for the first time on the Xbox 360 and PS3, a change in the traditional methods of code, both will adapt that and be able to adapt it faster than the initial development. People who say that HB hasn't listened to the fans are kidding themselves, HB have been on this forum for a long time and monitoring what users have said about their games in the past, they then created a list of things they wanted to incorporate in the next game, unfortunately a line had to be drawn at some point and certain things got missed off. But they could get included in the next version.

As i have never really had a ps2 i have only played rugby 08 pretty briefly before, so my only realy experience is rugby 06 and it is a nice step up, especially the presentation and graphics. But i feel they have successfully ported this over and not added enough to the game, and too many animations and problems remain. If the game had club teams i would buy it, but it doesn't and only has 20 international teams with very limited game modes. I honestly couldn't believe some of the stuff they were saying about the game in the loading screens after the demo finished. Doubt i will buy the game, may do in the future when the price comes down because £35 is just too much for such a limited game imo. RC will definitely be getting my money. That said i think the game has potential if another was made. Now one has been created for next gen surely they can only improve on gameplay. Some stuff like my forwards regularly side stepping a number of players frustrated me too. Sheridan sidestepping 3 players in a row isn't the most realistic thing i have seen! And forwards were regularly doing it. It was actually harder for backs to sidestep which i found weird.

I can't see this game selling well to be honest, after RC comes out anyway. Not enough has been added to this game. And i feel it is similar to the rugby 06 -> rugby 08 debacle where we saw a slight improvement but not much. Commentary from the NZ lot was horrendous too. Will try the next lot later. I will play the demo again, and would buy the game if it was priced at something like £20 but £35 for a general repackage with incredibly limited game modes just isn't for me or for most people i imagine. Anyone who thinks this is a big step up is kidding themselves and is a bit dim. Unless you have quite a lot of money to spend i would highly question buying the game at the current price. Key factor is no longetivity imo.

All i see is a load of sarcy comments from the admins/mods of trf. You guys think the game is actually worth the £35?!?! Or are you just giving it good reviews as you are apparently publicising it?

People need to realise what they're playing isn't the game. People go on about the kits and the camera, just wait. The reviews have been so good because they have played the game, not the demo. Patience s'il vous plait?

People who say that HB hasn't listened to the fans are kidding themselves, HB have been on this forum for a long time and monitoring what users have said about their games in the past

Its not that they didnt listen, but it seems that they didnt do anything about the little annoying things...
Im sure I couldnt do a better job than them, but thats there job, not mine, and if you ask what was wrong with previous ***les, 90% of the people would tell you for example: The rucks suck, the bunching, players getting chased by 15 other players describing the same orbit, the ankle tap when you are diving for a try ( and the try scorer trying to stay up in that case ) and they did nothing about that, all those problems are still there... Was it THAT hard for this guys to fix those issues ? I mean, being experts on making games.

I think people should stop judging the game. In all the reviews i read i have found the opposite of what people is saying about the demo.
When have a demo ever been on the same par as the game. I really think we should wait for the final release, before coming to a conclusion.
But we must also keep in mind that isn't a demo suppose to lure the player to buy the game.

Personally I will still be getting both games, I have played both and I enjoy RWC 2011 more than RC however that's not to discount it as a poor game, both games are building blocks in terms of building more Rugby Games, they have both been developed for the first time on the Xbox 360 and PS3, a change in the traditional methods of code, both will adapt that and be able to adapt it faster than the initial development. People who say that HB hasn't listened to the fans are kidding themselves, HB have been on this forum for a long time and monitoring what users have said about their games in the past, they then created a list of things they wanted to incorporate in the next game, unfortunately a line had to be drawn at some point and certain things got missed off. But they could get included in the next version.

Begs the question what did they include though? It's really not acceptable with the amount of quality games out there today to charge a full £40 for a game which is essentially an upgrade of Playstation 2 game from 5 years ago, if this was the next game out after Rugby 2005 the changes implemented are the absolute bare minimum when upgrading to a new console, let alone the next game after Rugby 2008.

This whole project to me, just strikes me as a cash in. They've got the bare minimum licences, the bare minimum gameplay improvements and the bare minimum game modes. But of course they've got the Rugby World Cup logo slapped across the front cover so that they can capitalize on the hype from the World Cup to make as much money as possible and I for one hope that money can be spent making a real solid game in the next few years or so, rather than another half arsed effort when the next World Cup comes about which they can make money from.

I think people should stop judging the game. In all the reviews i read i have found the opposite of what people is saying about the demo.
When have a demo ever been on the same par as the game. I really think we should wait for the final release, before coming to a conclusion.
But we must also keep in mind that isn't a demo suppose to lure the player to buy the game.

Irrelevant now. The whole game needed a revamp and yet the core mechanics have stayed the same, impossible for that to change by the time of release date.

Last edited:
It is still an improvement over Rugby 2008, i believe and hope the graphics is limited in the demo. I won't worry about the AI, for who wants AI now that you can play on Live
Begs the question what did they include though? It's really not acceptable with the amount of quality games out there today to charge a full £40 for a game which is essentially an upgrade of Playstation 2 game from 5 years ago, if this was the next game out after Rugby 2005 the changes implemented are the absolute bare minimum when upgrading to a new console, let alone the next game after Rugby 2008.

This whole project to me, just strikes me as a cash in. They've got the bare minimum licences, the bare minimum gameplay improvements and the bare minimum game modes. But of course they've got the Rugby World Cup logo slapped across the front cover so that they can capitalize on the hype from the World Cup to make as much money as possible and I for one hope that money can be spent making a real solid game in the next few years or so, rather than another half arsed effort when the next World Cup comes about which they can make money from.

Irrelevant now. The whole game needed a revamp and yet the core mechanics have stayed the same, impossible for that to change by the time of release date.

Whenever you design a game or program you need a stable platform. The core of the Rugby Games allows for fluint gameplay, and they are keeping it cause it is enjoyable. Now that we have a ***le on the next gen consoles, we have the platform set. I dont see why developers won't push out DLC to improve the game afterwards.

So is this demo available on ps3 yet in NZ. Was hoping to download it this morning before work but it wasn't there. Hoping to jam on it after work.

If you own Rugby 08 and a PS2, I honestly wouldn't spend the £40 for this game. They have essentially re-packaged the same game and slapped a big world cup 2011 sticker on the front. I'm really hoping that rugby challenge at least tries to test the waters, or tries to engineer something new. Talk about waiting months for sheer diss-apointment. Why did they bother getting in touch with the community if they were going to ignore all idea's and throw up the same game. Stinks of trying to make a quick buck.

Signed
A dissapointed fan.

Last edited:
i am looking forward to this game, i dont care what everyone is saying about it being a rehash of 08. there are enough new gameplay features for me.

the thing that annoys me is that people are discounting this just for RC even if they havnt played it. for some reason it doesnt sit right with me. why totally discount one for another you havnt played? who knows you might hate that one more. your expectations might be so high for the other one that it doesnt hit them. remember its their first effort.

anyway looking forward to the ps3 demo, guessing its going to be tomorrow my time :(

I think the issue is, if people all ready have Rugby 08 then there's not much reason to upgrade to RWC11 as there are few additions - sure there are some new things, but hardly anything that I assume would take a substantial amount of time to implement.

At least RC offers a few new experiences. RWC11 is basically the same core game, from what I gather - not much addition to 08. If the RC gameplay is too poor, then people can just switch back to 08, or tolerate the slightly worse RC gameplay, but at least RC will have interesting new competitions etc.

Lastly, RWC offers next to nothing for NZ/Oz fans. With no licensed team, and no clubs, there's absolutely no reason to upgrade, unless someone really things the gameplay tweaks are worth $120 odd NZD (64 pounds!). RC offers something for everyone, with Northern Hemisphere clubs making up for the fact that the sides aren't licensed - and these players can be added to a number of NH squads anyway.

So all in all, I think it's fair to say that if you have got 08, you're better off buying RC.

I think that the demo was actually quite good and that people aren't even giving the game a chance. Yes if you play it by yourself then it gets quite boring and similar to 08, but is that even that bad ?? I had a mate round and we played against one another and it was much much more competitive and better as a whole. I love the way in which the players feel a bit slower but that the rucks are very quick, however the set plays take too long. You need to play the game differently to 08 otherwise it will seem like 08 to you. The commentary was excellent and far surpasses the bits of RC gameplay that i have seen. Presentation was also of a high quality. As for which is better between RC and RWC2011 WAIT UNTIL BOTH GAMES ARE OUT ! yes RC looks better but has anyone played it yet??? Does anyoned care to think that maybe RC gameplay isnt that good when you play it first hand and that it may even be worse than 08 ???? Exactly. Dont judge both games before youve played both games.

i am looking forward to this game, i dont care what everyone is saying about it being a rehash of 08. there are enough new gameplay features for me.

the thing that annoys me is that people are discounting this just for RC even if they havnt played it. for some reason it doesnt sit right with me. why totally discount one for another you havnt played? who knows you might hate that one more. your expectations might be so high for the other one that it doesnt hit them. remember its their first effort.

anyway looking forward to the ps3 demo, guessing its going to be tomorrow my time :(

I was thinking along the same lines I.E. the expectations of RC are very high whilst the opposite for RWC11 - therefore when both are released we may well be unexpectadly disappointed by RC and pleasanlty surprised by RWC11, this doesn't mean either are poor or brilliant it's just our expectations have been blurred by over zealous/negative comments.
I await the ps3 demo but will bear in mind it's an old build, restricted to 5 mins, one camera view before I comment.
I imagine both will be purcased as I believe they will offer the gamer an unique rugby experience.....hopefully.

I only had a few minutes to play (one session of the demo, so take this with a grain of salt), but I felt like it was a bummer that the graphic capabilities weren't utilized. The sky camera angle was disappointing; the same arcade style that Rugby 06 had... However, maybe you can change the camera angle and I just missed it? The screenshots released to date made the gameplay look up close and personal, so this sky camera angle was a shock/let down to me. I will probably buy the game regardless. However, I am looking forward to Rugby Challenge due to the gameplay footage released. It is up close and personal (at least more so than RWC 2011). Lastly, the rucks seemed to be a "toss up" as to who wins. I very well may be wrong and just don't know enough about the game since I only had 5 minutes of gameplay. If anyone knows how they work and if the camera angle can be altered please let me know!

Latest posts