• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Argentina - Scotland (25-09-2011, 20:30)

Obviously wanting Scotland to win, but even more so now just to shut up the panel on the ITV's rugby coverage. Especailly Gareth Thomas who can barely contain his dislike of Scotland. I thought Thom Evans was going to smack him one the other week....

Ah, to be fair, Thomas was just saying that Scotland were playing crap when they were
Evans didn't look too happy at all though

I'm not too fussed who wins this, just hope that it's an entertaining game (and that Richie Vernon has a good game if he comes off the bench)

does anyone know whether Wayne Barnes favours the dominant scrummaging team?

I really think the referee's interpretation of rucks and scrums will decide this match, as I doubt either team will thrash each other

does anyone know whether Wayne Barnes favours the dominant scrummaging team?

I really think the referee's interpretation of rucks and scrums will decide this match, as I doubt either team will thrash each other

In my opinion Wayne Barnes has the following conceptions.
1. Scotland can't scrummage.
2. Roncero is a walking yellow.
3. When at a loss over whom to penalise, he will penalise the team playing either the more negative, or 'offending' rugby.

Yip, brilliant tourney in 2009 they had ;)

I am a tool, ooops. Yeah I wish it was every two years. I good at math I is.

I have had to edit as my Mrs thinks I am a tool as well now.

Last edited:
[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Argentina [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Scotland [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Martín Rodríguez [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] Chris Paterson [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Gonzalo Camacho [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] Max Evans [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Marcelo Bosch [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] Nick de Luca [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Felipe Contepomi [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] Graeme Morrison [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Horacio Agulla [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] Sean Lamont [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Santiago Fernández [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] Ruaridh Jackson [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Nicolás Vergallo [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] Rory Lawson [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Juan Mártin Fernandez Lobbe [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] Kelly Brown [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Juan Manuel Leguizamón [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] John Barclay [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Julio Farias Cabello [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] Ally Strokosch [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Patricio Albacete [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] Jim Hamilton [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Manuel Carizza [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] Richie Gray [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Juan Figallo [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] Geoff Cross [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Mario Ledesma [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] Ross Ford [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Rodrigo Roncero [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] Allan Jacobsen [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Agustín Creevy [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] Dougie Hall [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Martín Scelzo [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] Alasdair Dickinson [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Mariano Galarza [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] Nathan Hines [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Genaro Fessia [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] Richie Vernon [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Alfredo Lalanne [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] Mike Blair [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] Dan Parks [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Juan Jose Imhoff [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] Simon Danielli [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

Even when i'm a draw kind of guy for tonight's game, i bet for Argentina +7. If Roncero holds "his ducks in line" and Felipe (truth to be told, i don't think he can play 80 minutes) and/or Rodriguez Gurruchaga can be more accurate than they did in previous matches, Argentina has nothing to worry about. Obviously Scotland is not Romania, and we can't rest on our laurels as we said!!!

PS: Is it truth that Wayne Barnes asked to IRB if both teams could lose tonight?!?!?! Just a joke!!

Cheers,
Ignacio

Overall the stats point to these team not making too many errors, but have different styles of play. Key points under the areas are
as follows

Time, Poss & Terr

• Argentina like to do lots in the first half with the ball. They are the highest in the comp with possession for the 1st half. Scotland are a bit worse than average in this regards, so 1st half could be interesting. In the 2nd half Scotland do the least of any team with the ball.
    2nd half will be interesting if the stats mean Argentina do lots in the 1st
    half. Form suggest Scotland might have let them get away.
  • Since Arg have the comp highest with possession in the entire game, when
    Scotland get the ball they will need to do something with it.
  • Scotland are leading with the most successful penalties. Argentina are the worse in this regard with the highest in the comp of Unsuccessful penalties.
  • Argentina are 5 times more likely to get a penalty and take a kick on the left side of the field than the right side. Scotland don't have a preference. They are exactly the same on both sides. this is good because Argentina concede equally on both sides.
  • Argentina score their 100% of their tries on the right side of the field. Scotland have scored all their on the left. Should make that side of the field, if you were allowed to put a sideline guy down there the place to be.
Attack

• Argentina are using the ball an average 3.4 times before kicking it or losing it. This is the 5th highest in the comp. Scotland are averaging 2.8 time, 16th in the RWC.
  • Argentina are breaking and average of 6.5 tackles in the opp 22. Scotland are averaging 4.
  • Surprisingly, Scotland make more offloads than Argentina. They average 9 a game, or 4th in the comp, Arg 7 a game, 9th in RWC.
  • Both team kick the ball about the same, but Arg are the lowest in the comp for kicking to touch.
  • 1st 5/8 for ARg will kick it the least out of any team as 1st receiver from set play and recycled ball. Scotland are the complete opposite and kick it the most. Behind Cooper, Arg 1st 5/8 run it more than anyone else at RWC.
Defence

• Tackling is pretty good. Scot miss on average 1 in 9 attempts, 3rd highest. Arg 1 in 7, 6th highest. They miss hardly any inside their own 22.

Errors

• Not much here as they are pretty even. Arg will conced more pen than Scotland. Arg are 12 a game, 3rd highest. Scotland 8.6 16th in comp.
  • Arg at the lowest in teh comp for handling errors.
Set pieces
  • Arg just don't throw to the back of the lineout. Neith do Scotland, but Scot favour the middle, Arg favour the front and middle about the same.
Ref Barnes
  • Averaging 3.5 resets per game. This is the 7th highest average in RWC
  • 6 scrum infringements (This is the highest average in RWC) and favours penalties over free kicks on a 2 to 1 basis. 3rd for scrum penalties.
  • 15.5 penalties per game, this is 10th out of 10 refs, so the lowest.
  • 7 pens will be at the ruck, again lowest in RWC.
  • 3.5 offside pens 4th for offside penalties.
  • 6.5 pens inside 22, 5th lowest for awarding pens inside the 22.
  • Favours right side for kickable penalties rather than the left by 1.5 time so expect this to be a factor in the game.

Last edited:
I've got super butterflies, canna settle myself, scared as ****.

Wonder if Robinson has told our players to target Contemponi's ribs, whether through running at his channel or gang tackling.

If we win, I will

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLnWf1sQkjY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLnWf1sQkjY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Last edited:
I fancy Argentina for this. I think I backed Scotland in the vbookie earlier in the week but thinking about it it you'd have to fancy Argentina to win this.

Does anyone knows why, here again so many empty seats in the stadium ?
It's not a small rugby country game though...Ticket price ??

Going for Scotland on this one

Who is the Kiwi commentator who said "Scotland have the ever reliable Dan Parks on the bench"?

Argh, both teams commiting a number of offences that are being both pinged and missed.

Paterson misses again.

WWEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRREEEEEEEE DDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEDDD!!!

Both teams are looking poor, and conceding too much in the ruck

This match will be divisible by 3 at the end

Decided to cheer on Scotland, got to get behind the home nations I suppose :p

Oh dear, Lobbe badly injured

Stop the bloody game Barnes, thats a serious injury.

Latest posts