• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Australia - Ireland (17-09-2011 20:30)

It's amazing Aussies make such nice wine given all the sour grapes the country seems to produce. ;-)

I don't know what to think of Deans...I mean he has a n unbelievable backline but they only threatened the Irish line on one or two occassions todey :/

maybe because the ref congested the game with scrum after scrum, followed by irish penalty after irish penalty for their own pack collapsing the scrum. bit hard for the australian back line to shine in those circumstances.

i'll admit our forwards were off their game tonight, but australia will always struggle when they have a ref that refuses to let the teams play running rugby

This made me chuckle

"It's days like today that make me happy that Sean O'Brien was never capped by his home planet of Krypton"

"Ireland did deserve the win, dont get me wrong, however Aus did have 50-50 calls on the scrums, yes our scrum was not as good but Aus getting penalties on there own feed is kind of stupid".
"NZ might lose to France this week, then it could be a Aus vs NZ final still... this is a world cup, anything can happen".

50-50 is not what I'd say... As for getting penalties on their own feed, that's precisely when I found Ireland especially strong. In first time, they achieved to have a very good stabilization, and we could easily see that in a second time, they increased their pressure and take an large advantage.

Don't see any interest now for France to burn themselves vs NZ and fight for the 1st place of the pool as the second one is much more favorable.
Lievremont's plan to alternate players in the pool games was already in order to prepare for a England QF mainly, this one is further more logical now he enters a NH/NH SF context.
This context is for sure very positive for all NH nations, from whom many of them are able to beat a SH on a day for the final. beyond their own qualities and last year performance, the NH team who has the best increasing physical (and the preparation profile) will make the difference IMO.

maybe because the ref congested the game with scrum after scrum, followed by irish penalty after irish penalty for their own pack collapsing the scrum. bit hard for the australian back line to shine in those circumstances.

i'll admit our forwards were off their game tonight, but australia will always struggle when they have a ref that refuses to let the teams play running rugby

Hahaha good man ;) once your pack has rectal reconstruction we will give you a rematch under a ref of your choice :)

Ireland well deserved winners, Australia missing MOORE big time!, Pocock and Iaone also. Polotoa-Nau? just not there after how much of the season off (why is he there at all?????) Elsom and Samu outmuscled. McCalman? did a lot of work, no Pocock but easily not the worst this match. A Fainga'a not up to it, McCabe better but do the Aus need a centre! Cooper did as many good as crazy things! Couldn't see why Horwill was penalised, that ball was out! Irish forwards won that one!

God I hope Ireland dont cough up their next two games, I really want a SA Aus Quarter, then it'll probably be us and England providing we beat SA Aus in the Semi. Then it'll be the ultimate showdown, and the North vs South ******* contest can begin again.

Wow great match!! First real upset in this WC, only problem is now it's likely that there will be a SA Aus Quarterfinal, but from the looks of it
that might be better for us saffers than to play Ireland.. or not. :D

Anyway, great match!

Completely agree, I don't know why they persist with him

Should've had:

11. Mitchell
12. Fainga'a
13. AAC
14. JOC

Agree, but Mitchell would have needed more game time before todays game. Maybe further down the line...with Digby thrown into the mix.

I don't understand why the aussies are so angry about Bryce Lawrence when they keep on sending us Stuart DICKenson. time to get some of your own medicine. and how can they not know how Bryce handles a match, they should be used to him after super 15 and the Tri-nations. Even though he had some bad calls, they should've adapted.

not even a SH ref could've saved the aussies from implosion...

As if Ireland can be raving about themselves. They just slowed our ball down all game and got lucky scrum penalties. We didn't play well at all, and what the hell were they thinking not taking the 3 points with 2 minutes to go, that is absolutely stupid.

Yep. No doubt about it... the better they scrummage, the luckier they get!!

Agree, but Mitchell would have needed more game time before todays game. Maybe further down the line...with Digby thrown into the mix.
I agree, I think that's their strongest set of backs (presuming Ioane is out for a while - at which point it gets complicated!) - was good to see Mitchell get a run out though, hopefully he'll start the next game

A lacklustre performance v Italy and inconsistent road to the world cup netted me $600 backing Ireland. Could see this coming a mile away.
Had no offence, no composure and a front row that collapsed under a breath of wind. Australia is in no way shape or form the second best rugby side in the world no matter how you cut it. We belong somewhere down around Scotland, and the rankings will probably show that once the Springbok's proper side give us a hiding in the knockout round.

The USA game is going to be a nail biter :rolleyes:

No I agreed that it was foul play and it shouldn't have been left unpunished, But why I dislike the guy so much is that he carried on whining about it for months and ultimately resulted in a decent guy being subjected to ridicule, judgement and "thug" labelling, when at the end of the day, we all know, there is a bit of ugliness in the beautiful game we all love and you just take the good with the bad and move on, we keep getting told to stop whining about a certain forward pass, and you didn't see any of the All Blacks complaining even after the match, they knew that s*** happens and you move on. But the dude expected a heartfelt apology and a hand full of flowers-hospital visit

He could have been killed because of 'foul play' (which is an understatement). It was criminal.