• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Ireland - United States (11-09-2011, 18:00)

We're awful again. Based on this shambles and the warm ups, Australia will beat Ireland by 30.

Not going to give plaudits to the USA. They're the worst team I've seen in the competition thus far. No scrum, lineout or attacking play.

We came, We Saw, We were ****.

No bonus point against the USA.

Nice one D'Arcy, putting someone through for a try. Wrong team I guess, but it all counts.

Sadly enough it's an improvement on the last World Cup.

I forgot in my last list that Mike Ross has been good too. But what exactly were Heaslip and Jennings doing for 80+ minutes???

Not going to give plaudits to the USA. They're the worst team I've seen in the competition thus far. No scrum, lineout or attacking play.

Despite being a USA fan, I'm going to have to agree with you here. There is one thing the Eagles did well, is tackling. It seems that any time we had possession, we somehow managed to go backwards. A lot.

Still though, losing by only 12 points to Ireland puts a smile on my face, despite the game being pretty ugly.

Well I suppose a win is a win although we were terrible and well it seems we'll be playing Italy for a QF spot.

Now pros:
- Set-piece was good but it was against nothing
- I was delighted that Earls did very well after 1 bad game on the wing got him alot of crap
- Paul O'Connell and Rory Best I thought had excellent games in the pack

Cons:
- I think it showed Jennings is not International standard again tonight
- Sextons kicking was awful. I thought he was ok in open play just the kicking at goal was poor and he seems low on confidence.
- Overall we were poor at breakdown and well against Aus and even Italy they'll hurt us if they got the same shot
- I think alot of players are undercooked and well it's a worry.

There is one thing the Eagles did well, is tackling. It seems that any time we had possession, we somehow managed to go backwards. A lot.

Tackling was solid, but when in possession they took the ball far too deep, and static - I remember at one point they went from about 10m out to their own half just by passing backwards and waiting for the defence to hit them

DOC was dreadful and I don't know why he's always in the stating XV (though I've been wondering that for many a year)
Wasn't it BOD that gave away the intercept (that's what they said on the commentary, I think, but they probably got it wrong)

On a positive note: Alan Quinlan was the best commentator that ITV have used so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Tackling was solid, but when in possession they took the ball far too deep, and static - I remember at one point they went from about 10m out to their own half just by passing backwards and waiting for the defence to hit them

DOC was dreadful and I don't know why he's always in the stating XV (though I've been wondering that for many a year)
Wasn't it BOD that gave away the intercept (that's what they said on the commentary, I think, but they probably got it wrong)

On a positive note: Alan Quinlan was the best commentator that ITV have used so far

I'n not 100%, but I think it was D'Arcy, apologies if I was wrong.

Alan Quinlan was a pleasant surprise;

Edit: just saw it on the tele. It was O'Driscol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't listen to ITV commentary I forgot :( Was Quinny good - He'd have great knowledge of whats happening in the camp.

It was D'Arcy who gave the pass for interception.

Ireland just made to many errors, we didn't support enough and the breakdown became scrappy. Pocock will destroy us at the breakdown if we don't support players. We are leaving to many players isolated. Ferris made some good carries and Best was also very good but we lacked. We had plenty of good ball from a dominant set piece but we didn't use it effectively.

Scotland to have the best result of the 'Celtic' nations? Thought England were pants but a win over Argentina is a win over Argentina.

Has there been a single decent kicker in this tournament? Can't think of one kicker that has had a good return from a few kicks.

The missing BP could have some bearing on the final pool result.
Ireland cannot afford to let it go against Australia, otherwise it will be play off game against Italy. Non-withstanding the fact that Italy nearly won in the 6N, I thought Italy were better today than Ireland.

Last edited:
The missing BP could have some bearing on the final pool result.
Ireland cannot afford to let it go against Australia, otherwise it will be play off game against Italy. Non-withstanding the fact that Italy nearly won in the 6N, I thought Italy were better today than Ireland.

Bonus points shouldn't come into effect. Australia should win all their matches and Ireland and Italy win 3 and 2 games each (or maybe the other way round). And after that, BPs are unlikely to come into it.

Something rare from Munsterfans, a decent quote: -

From 'Bushi'
"
  • The problem seems to be a leadership one. I think Pope said it well when he said they can't read what's in front of them. There is no natural flow to the team, they're doing things that don't come naturally and not doing what should. If they a round hole in front of them and a round and square peg to use, they'd wouldn't so much use the square one, but they'd still be there now trying to make their minds up. The only unrobotic feature to their play is the sense of panic.

Another clear problem though is that we have a inept, borderline senile backs coach with no concept of modern backplay. Look at what Smidth was able to do with some of those Leinster players (compared to what said old man was doing with them for the 2 seasons before that), and throwing Earls, Bowe, Geordan Murphy and Trimble into the mix is hardly weakening things. I haven't a clue what Gaffney's reputation is built on but i can't ever remember seeing anything to justify it."

the only way the BP comes into effect is if ireland beat australia, and italy beat ireland, then missing out on the USA BP could be crucial for ireland

i still feel that they were holding back, the backs didnt really use any moves, hopefully this is the case,
USA defence was pretty decent so credit to them

i still feel that they were holding back, the backs didnt really use any moves, hopefully this is the case,
USA defence was pretty decent so credit to them

My brother was suggesting this. The backs were just spreading it across the field or using crash balls because they knew the win was theirs either way. No need to give away the game plan or set-plays for Australia to analyse.

Last edited:
actually scrap that they used one move, cross field kick, decent attempts too

1 thing I would say is I wouldn't mind having the USA 7 (Clerver) in a Munster jersey, he deserves a mention as he was smashing anything that moved in his reach.

Latest posts