• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Ireland - United States (11-09-2011, 18:00)

I think one of the problems is that the Out-Halfs don't know who is the first choice. Sexton and O'Gara aren't playing half as well or fluid as they do for their provinces. Kidney should tell O'Gara he's getting 80 minutes against Australia and tell Sexton he'll have to play very well against Russia to get his place back, otherwise we're stuffed.

I think one of the problems is that the Out-Halfs don't know who is the first choice. Sexton and O'Gara aren't playing half as well or fluid as they do for their provinces. Kidney should tell O'Gara he's getting 80 minutes against Australia and tell Sexton he'll have to play very well against Russia to get his place back, otherwise we're stuffed.
I disagree with this. Firstly I think O'Gara has good form. But the battle between the 2 is great and simply pushes that extra bit. If they can't handle the competition in the squad then they simply won't hack it come gametime and I think both men enjoy the battle for the jersey.

Maybe not for O'Gara, but Sexton has never been sure of his position and has only played 80 minutes for Ireland around twice in his career and knowing that he's going to come off some time between 55-75 minutes isn't good for him. Sexton is the better player but O'Gara is playing better because all he has to do is not make the mistakes Sexton is making.

Why was Leamy brought on for Jennings, He's a below average 6 never mind 7 and once Jennings came off the breakdown got way worse. Kiddenme (I'm using the nickname now to if you don't mind Logs;) ) gave Leamy, Flannery and Earls (at Fullback) a run but not Cullen who can actually play rugby. (Flannery can play rugby too, just not as good as Best at the moment).

While I don't believe a player has a divine right to a jersey, there is some merit in what cmac95 says. For Munster, O'Gara knows he's the undisputed number 1 flyhalf and isn't constantly looking over his shoulder in case he makes an error. Likewise, it's no coincidence that Sexton improved dramatically once he was given the keys to the Leinster backline. He revels in calling the shots and seems a bit uneasy for Ireland when there's the constant threat of O'Gara taking his place.

For now, O'Gara is in better form and should start versus Australia. He's the best man to lead Ireland through the World Cup and is handling the flyhalf competition better than the Leinster player. Once the World Cup is over, Kidney must come out and say that Sexton is his guy for the foreseeable future.

On another note, the difference between the Alan Gaffney coached international first choice backline versus the USA and the Joe Schmidt coached Leinster second string backline versus the Dragons was staggering. How does Gaffney have a job?

Maybe not for O'Gara, but Sexton has never been sure of his position and has only played 80 minutes for Ireland around twice in his career and knowing that he's going to come off some time between 55-75 minutes isn't good for him. Sexton is the better player but O'Gara is playing better because all he has to do is not make the mistakes Sexton is making.

Why was Leamy brought on for Jennings, He's a below average 6 never mind 7 and once Jennings came off the breakdown got way worse. Kiddenme (I'm using the nickname now to if you don't mind Logs;) ) gave Leamy, Flannery and Earls (at Fullback) a run but not Cullen who can actually play rugby. (Flannery can play rugby too, just not as good as Best at the moment).

For the record, I don't think Leamy deserves to be at the World Cup, I think he's kack, so this is not Munster Bias.

The breakdown did not get 'way worse', it might have got slightly worse, but I'd put that down to the USA realising they could do whatever the cluck they wanted in the ruck and then proceeding to be much more braizen about doing whatever the cluck they wanted (and power to them, it's a compliment not criticism).

Ferris was the only good performer in the backrow today.Come Australia, I'd be dropping Heaslip for O'Brien, not Jennings or Ferris. Cullen to start ahead of DOC.

I'd love for McFadden to start for D'Arcy but we know it won't happen.

Does anyone know if Kearney will be fit?

Jennings has to be the one to make way for SOB, he was pretty anonymous.

While I don't believe a player has a divine right to a jersey, there is some merit in what cmac95 says. For Munster, O'Gara knows he's the undisputed number 1 flyhalf and isn't constantly looking over his shoulder in case he makes an error. Likewise, it's no coincidence that Sexton improved dramatically once he was given the keys to the Leinster backline. He revels in calling the shots and seems a bit uneasy for Ireland when there's the constant threat of O'Gara taking his place.

For now, O'Gara is in better form and should start versus Australia. He's the best man to lead Ireland through the World Cup and is handling the flyhalf competition better than the Leinster player. Once the World Cup is over, Kidney must come out and say that Sexton is his guy for the foreseeable future.

On another note, the difference between the Alan Gaffney coached international first choice backline versus the USA and the Joe Schmidt coached Leinster second string backline versus the Dragons was staggering. How does Gaffney have a job?

I read somewhere that he's going back to Australia to help out with either the Rebels or the Reds (I think the former) after the WC and Kidney's been told he can bring another man if he so wished. I hope I've not just imagined this but I'm fairly certain I read itsomewhere.

Confirmation is welcome.

For the record, I don't think Leamy deserves to be at the World Cup, I think he's kack, so this is not Munster Bias.

The breakdown did not get 'way worse', it might have got slightly worse, but I'd put that down to the USA realising they could do whatever the cluck they wanted in the ruck and then proceeding to be much more braizen about doing whatever the cluck they wanted (and power to them, it's a compliment not criticism).

Ferris was the only good performer in the backrow today.Come Australia, I'd be dropping Heaslip for O'Brien, not Jennings or Ferris. Cullen to start ahead of DOC.

That is exactly what we should do Heaslip has done nothing for five matches now.

I read somewhere that he's going back to Australia to help out with either the Rebels or the Reds (I think the former) after the WC and Kidney's been told he can bring another man if he so wished. I hope I've not just imagined this but I'm fairly certain I read itsomewhere.

Confirmation is welcome.
Don't have a link but he's joining the Waratahs as advisor to the backline. Lucky them. He's good at drawing up set plays off the back of a scrum or lineout. He's **** at everything else. With hindsight, it was clearly Matt Williams' influence whic got Leinster clicking while Gaffney was assistant coach for the first time. Gaffney proceeded to stunt Munster, Saracens and Leinster (in his second stint) whereas Williams had Ulster playing some excellent rugby during his one season up in nordieland.

I'd go with this team next time out:
Kearney, Bowe, O'Driscoll, McFadden, Trimble, O'Gara, Reddan; Healy, Best, Ross, Cullen, O'Connell, Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip

I suspect Kidney will go with a similar team except he'll pick D'arcy, O'Callaghan and maybe Earls ahead of McFadden, Cullen and Trimble.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed really let us down today, was the support running. Earls and Ferris, and a couple of others made a few breaks which should have led to try's, but there was just no one there to pass to. Several times I noticed players following directly behind them, waiting for the ruck instead of making themselves available for a pass.

Ferris, O'Connell, Best played well, and Earls and Bowe did too at times. BoD and Darcy were simply non-existent. The only thing I can remember BoD doing is giving away the try, and Darcy's best run went 10 metres sideways and 1 forwards. Jennings just isn't good enough. Didn't make any ground, and the breakdown was a disaster. I miss Wally. :(

Jennings is not up to international standard. And if anyone noticed when Leamy came on I'm nearly sure it was Ferris who switched to 7. As Leamy I agree he's not good enough to start but in a green shirt he is alot more effective than Jennings.

As for the 10 argument Sexton needs to learn to cope with the battle for the jersey because I know after the RWC is over ROG will probably be finished in green but Sexton will have competition from somewhere and needs to cope.

Disagree totally, I'm not saying Leamy is on form but having watched the highlights again as well as seeing the game - Jennings was anonymous and our breakdown was messy all day. Leamy is a better option than Jennings for Ireland but again that not stating Leamys form more so the poor showing of Jennings

..................... Come Australia, I'd be dropping Heaslip for O'Brien, not Jennings or Ferris. Cullen to start ahead of DOC.

If I said this youd accuse me of more anti-Munster drivel but we pretty much agree.

Both or our problems are with the coach and his supporting staff. For the last 18-24 months Ireland have been playing this kind of rugby. We have been playing unwatchable rugby, and been beaten by what are actually inferior teams.

The selections of certain players (or other players out of position) are symptomatic of this, yet here we are at the world cup talking about yet another **** performance and debating another **** selection. The fact that a few inferior Munster players are consistently involved is a bug-bear of mine, but I dont think there are many that dissagree. I just believe the coach has a working bias towards his former province and this means better players (from around Ireland) are being left at home, or remain untried.

Murray is a good example. I like the guys style, I like how he hovers at the base and focuses on his job as a scrumhalf. Hes going to be a quality player going forward. I just dont think a world cup is the place to learn how to play under pressure and kick a ball. Its not his fault, its the coaches for persisting with O'Leary, dumping Stringer and ignoring the Reddan and Boss combination that won the HEC. Why in f*cks name is Reddan not allowed to play with Sexton? Someone explain to me why this combination is not allowed? And before you say it is, answer me this; Reddan and Sexton have started once together for Ireland in the last 9 international matches. Anyone want to guess what match that was?

Look at it this way, this is where my frustration lies. 12 Irish players started the HEC final against Northampton. Another 4 capped players were on the bench. This was widely acknowledged as the best team in Europe last year. Of that team, how many are playing well now? or should be involved in this WC going forward? According to one or two posters on this forum the Irish team should contain a few of those players, no more. But I'm accused of talking shite?

As for the game, Thought the pack were pretty solid aside from Heaslip, Jennings and the bench which surprisingly had absolutely no impact whatsoever. All that versatility but no impact. One wonders. The problem is of course that that same pack will get mullered against the Aussies and the bench is ****ing useless.

As for the backs, well they just arent functioning. BOD should be dropped, as should Darcy, Sexton and Bowe.

Log I challenged you when squad was selected and your chat about the team by saying in the squad who'd you have selected and simply gave my reasons why Kidney was forced to pick team/squad. But I can agree our style of play is poor.

Changes I'd make for Oz game are:
Healy for Court
Cullen if fit for DOC but leave D.Ryan on bench
O'Brien for Jennings I think is a must although Heaslip should be worrying too.
I think Reddan for Murray simply because of experience as I don't think Reddan is in good form.
ROG for Sexton based on form.
Earls and Trimble is a toss up but whoever looses out gets 22 shirt as Earls was good today.

We need to badly sort our centre's, BOD and D'Arcy are not the great players they once were and we need alternatives. McFadden is a guy I'd like to see thrown in

we're clutching @ straws here guys, it very worrying indeed & it really dosent matter wat changes r made coz kidney & his back room staff philosophy wont change..we're goin backwards not forward!!

im still waitin 4 doc or poc or whoever 2 go in2 contact & offload...is that 2 much 2 ask from a supposedly professional oufit...clearly it is or r they holding back on that aswell??