• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: New Zealand - Tonga (09-09-2011, 20:30)

Pretty cool. Be good if Aesana Tuilagi does the same with his corn braids and colour them blue and white.

Starting to get a bit excited about the game. The main things I will be looking at from an AB's perspective (apart from the result..):

- How Tony Woodcock plays. He looked poor against South Africa, but looked much improved vs Australia... hopefully he continues this improvement

- How Ali Williams plays. His general play has been disappointing all season, but he did play well in the last match vs Australia. His aerial work (both lineouts and kickoffs) has been great though. He needs another big game to secure a starting spot ahead of Whitelock & Boric... if I was picking the team to play France he wouldn't even be on the bench. It will be good to see Boric get 20-30 mins this match too - if he performs I'd actually be tempted to pair him with Thorn against France (as though I really like Sam Whitelock, he doesn't proved the same physicality as Boric).

-How Vito goes. He played well vs Australia (a few early handling errors aside) - if he performs he could secure his spot at 8 until Read returns. Indeed if he performs very well he could well take the bench spot off Adam Thomson. If he doesn't perform the AB's selectors may go with a trio of Kaino/McCaw/Thomson vs France.

- Toeava/Kahui/Dagg. I get the feeling that they are all on trial - if any has outstanding games they will likely confirm their spot vs France.

Why couldn't it have been NZ vs France for the first game? I'm excited for the World Cup but then I realize one of the biggest pool games probably isn't even going to be close.

I agree with you that the majority of the Tongan players have refined their craft in the NH, but they learnt the basics in the SH. I look forward to what the NH polish has done to these boys. The SH namely NZ tie the pacific players into their silly NZRU contracts not allowing them to play for their home nations and the eligibility rules are absurd, the rwc should be a display of the best rugby players in the world.

I don't agree with you entirely Bail....I believe Toulon did not release Mafile'o Kefu for the rwc. He would have been gold for the Tongan backline.

Why couldn't it have been NZ vs France for the first game? I'm excited for the World Cup but then I realize one of the biggest pool games probably isn't even going to be close.

Just wait blues i think you will be pleasantly surprised by Tonga tonight...Tonga will stay in touch with the All Blacks throughout and the nation will hope the all blacks can shut out this tongan team i think this game is going to be really close....media have done nz no favours in talking up a 60-70 point drubbing.....rwc 2011 lesson 1. Respect the opposition

I agree with you that the majority of the Tongan players have refined their craft in the NH, but they learnt the basics in the SH. I look forward to what the NH polish has done to these boys. The SH namely NZ tie the pacific players into their silly NZRU contracts not allowing them to play for their home nations and the eligibility rules are absurd, the rwc should be a display of the best rugby players in the world.

I don't agree with you entirely Bail....I believe Toulon did not release Mafile'o Kefu for the rwc. He would have been gold for the Tongan backline.

You mean like Mahonri Schwalger, Logovi'i Mulipola, Anthony Perenise, Filipo Levi, Kane Thompson, Kahn Fotuali'i, Taisiana Tuifua, Tasesa Lavea, Johnny Leota, George Pisi, Siale Piutau, Taniea Moa, Samisoni Fisilau, Joe Tuineau, Sona Taumalolo, Halani Aulika...Sucks that these guys cant play in the world cup with their NZRU contracts :rolleyes:

My bookie is offering New Zealand -60.5 and Tonga +60.5 on the line. Which way would you guys go?

id go tonga, i really dont think its going to be that much of a blow out, maybe 30-40 points.

You mean like Mahonri Schwalger, Logovi'i Mulipola, Anthony Perenise, Filipo Levi, Kane Thompson, Kahn Fotuali'i, Taisiana Tuifua, Tasesa Lavea, Johnny Leota, George Pisi, Siale Piutau, Taniea Moa, Samisoni Fisilau, Joe Tuineau, Sona Taumalolo, Halani Aulika...Sucks that these guys cant play in the world cup with their NZRU contracts :rolleyes:

henry speight and yanuyanutawa can't play in the world cup coz of their contracts and i know in the past players like loki crichton, seremaia bai missed out on the 2003 world cup coz of their contracts, i'm sure many others must have too , other island players chose to play for their country so their contracts were ended with their NZ clubs not long after. Its good they've released these players this year though, but then again the coach of hawkes bay is the samoan forwards coach so of course he's going to release fotuali'i, perenise, taumalolo, kane thompson

henry speight and yanuyanutawa can't play in the world cup coz of their contracts and i know in the past players like loki crichton, seremaia bai missed out on the 2003 world cup coz of their contracts, i'm sure many others must have too , other island players chose to play for their country so their contracts were ended with their NZ clubs not long after. Its good they've released these players this year though, but then again the coach of hawkes bay is the samoan forwards coach so of course he's going to release fotuali'i, perenise, taumalolo, kane thompson

Henry Speight and Yanuyanutawa aren't allowed to play due to AUSTRALIAN contracts.. There are players around that havent been released, be it in Australia, France or possibly England. But to my knowledge no players have been withheld from NZ, so singling out NZ doesnt make any sense.
Also, Tom Coventry has no power whatsoever in deciding whether players are released at all. Its an NZRU player management issue and nothing to do with indivivual coaches.

Though the various leagues around the world were obliged by the IRB to release players if they're called up to the WC?

Though the various leagues around the world were obliged by the IRB to release players if they're called up to the WC?

obliged to sure but legally the contract is between the player and the club so the irb can't really do anything more than ask nicely. Really it comes down to what was in the player's contract some will have clauses that will allow them to play most internationals while others will be at the clubs discretion.

I'll be at the game tonight just a few hours to go until the world cup finally kicks off.

Less than 4 hours to go before kickoff... time to get a beer.

ugh. committed to going to a party in the middle of hipster anti-rugby mount cook tonight. I'll probably have to miss this game

I haven;t been able to sleep all night, have now given up completely and am just gonna wait out the next hour or so on my Xbox and then sleep after the match has finished :p my sleeping pattern is already totally screwed so wont do me that much harm

Been up since half 6 this morning. Couldn't sleep any longer due to some much excitement. I've never been so exited for a World cup in my life - Could be due to the fact I have 7 weeks of Pubage to attend to while at Uni :p :p

I expect NZ to start this tournament with a bang. In saying that I expect Tonga to put up a very physical challenge. Can't wait. JUST START!!!!!!

(Joys of ITV Coverage - bloody commercial break every 5 mins :( :( :( )

where can I steam the opening ceromony and the all blacks game from Australia??

Latest posts