• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: England - France (08-10-2011, 20:30)

Hmm, there was nothing in that tackle. The joys of beeing English I suppose.

Anyone know if they're going to contest the decision?

Cueto to start Banahan on the bench, we don't lose much at all IMO just the bench gets a severe dent with Banahan coming in.

Don't think there's point in contesting it - they're never going to tear up the ban, if it was two weeks they might get it to 1, but as it's just the 1 nothing would happen, I think

You guys think Easter will start again btw? He's fit but Haskell been playing well, be harsh to drop him.

Armitage has got a 1 game ban so will miss this one
Fingers and toes crossed that Cueto is OK, because otherwise it's Banahan starting....

Bit ridiculous, but there we go.

I hate saying this sort of thing, but I hope Banahan falls over and hurts himself so we can call up someone else.

edit: JW, I haven't been entirely happy with Haskell's footwork at the back of the scrum. I'd probably make a form call based off of training. However, if Hask is ever to be a long term option at 8, he needs to play there regularly.

Last edited:
Estebanez banned for 3 weeks, which means he's out for the rest of the competition (btw, it's a f**** joke, he gets as much as C. Lawes). With Rougerie injured, we only have 2 players at the center, one who has been disappointing (Mermoz), and one who didn't play much (Marty).

Dusautoir is also expected not to be able to play on next Sat (shoulder), and it's probably the same thing for Mas (one week ago he was expected to go back to France).

This is getting silly.

Estebanez banned for 3 weeks, which means he's out for the rest of the competition (btw, it's a f**** joke, he gets as much as C. Lawes). With Rougerie injured, we only have 2 players at the center, one who has been disappointing (Mermoz), and one who didn't play much (Marty).

Dusautoir is also expected not to be able to play on next Sat (shoulder), and it's probably the same thing for Mas (one week ago he was expected to go back to France).

This is getting silly.

And thats not some unimportant players there. Didn't see the Extebanez foul, was it a bann? Dusautoir and Mas are a huge loss as is Rougerie (not a fan of his though). Looking worse for France every day :S.

Agree that Haskell hasen't got the ball-skills required of an 8 yet. You'd expect them to work on this during training though? Not an Easter fan but he is better at the nitty gritty stuff which is needed against the French pack. Easter at 8, Haskell backrow cover.

Easters too fat and slow to be a top international 8. It would be a good investment to use Haskell in these situations otherwise he will never get used to it.

And thats not some unimportant players there. Didn't see the Extebanez foul, was it a bann? Dusautoir and Mas are a huge loss as is Rougerie (not a fan of his though). Looking worse for France every day :S.

Agree that Haskell hasen't got the ball-skills required of an 8 yet. You'd expect them to work on this during training though? Not an Easter fan but he is better at the nitty gritty stuff which is needed against the French pack. Easter at 8, Haskell backrow cover.

Yeah there's no way we're going to win this game :/ Such a disappointing World Cup for us...

Yeah there's no way we're going to win this game :/ Such a disappointing World Cup for us...

Please don't say that, you never know. I'm not saying anything until after the match :p.

Easters too fat and slow to be a top international 8. It would be a good investment to use Haskell in these situations otherwise he will never get used to it.

True and true, I think Haskell's a great player, but if it's a tight game, we can't afford stupid mistakes at the back of a scrum. If he can sort the simple stuff out he's in IMO.

I am an Easter fan. But I thought he made too many silly mistakes when he came on against Scotland. Meanwhile, Haskell, although an unpredictability engine at the back of the scrum, has probably been England's best forward to boot. And I'd rather have Croft or a fully fit Moody than Easter. Which is why I'm honestly not sure.

I'll say this much though, the time and place for Haskell to get used to playing 8 is club rugby. If he does that regularly, whether he plays this match at 8 or not is irrelevant in terms of gaining experience. If he doesn't... then it should be equally irrelevant as we look to a genuine 8. To me, this is a simple case of picking who's better.

Ridiculous decision on Armitage (and Estebanez but thought he was injured). Thought he was England's best player last Sat. I didn't see it and certainly I didn't see any complaints from the Jocks at the time. But please not Banahan. Is codeine a banned substance? Works for my dodgy back.

Wrt to JW, I assume we are all calling for the axe. I have been a fan since he was in nappies but am rapidly becoming a "Floodite". There is one reason to continue with him though. His goalkicking has not been his major attribute for me over the last 10 years. Prior to that and when he's been injured, I spent a lot of time watching England outside halves (Hodgson, Andrew, Old spring to mind) being steamrollered by huge back rowers. This does not happen with JW and there were a couple of times last Saturday which showed at least that ability has not deserted him.

Ridiculous decision on Armitage (and Estebanez but thought he was injured). Thought he was England's best player last Sat. I didn't see it and certainly I didn't see any complaints from the Jocks at the time. But please not Banahan. Is codeine a banned substance? Works for my dodgy back.

Wrt to JW, I assume we are all calling for the axe. I have been a fan since he was in nappies but am rapidly becoming a "Floodite". There is one reason to continue with him though. His goalkicking has not been his major attribute for me over the last 10 years. Prior to that and when he's been injured, I spent a lot of time watching England outside halves (Hodgson, Andrew, Old spring to mind) being steamrollered by huge back rowers. This does not happen with JW and there were a couple of times last Saturday which showed at least that ability has not deserted him.

How's it a ridiculous decision if you haven't seen it? They got it spot on. One match ban and no fuss after that.

Here's a picture of the Armitage tackle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/15142813.stm

Whilst I don't think it was entirely worth a ban, one must remember that Armitage went out of his way to do this, and with Paterson chasing the ball, he was lucky it wasn't spotted in the match. Late, high and little in the way of arms on a chasing player is a yellow for me every day of the week.

It was high and dangerous and LordHope is right that it could and should have been a yellow on the day. It was a fraction late I think. I've rewatched it a few times and struggle to pick where Armitage has committed to the tackle but currently I'd place it just after Paterson releases the ball. He wasn't a chasing player though, not as I understand the term, and I am happy he tried to wrap the man, but high, dangerous and a little late often equals a yellow.

But it wasn't a red, and therefore by definition not a citable offence. However, as Paterson got hurt and as it got replayed loads of times, the citing commissioner got excited.

**** happens. But plenty will get away with it without a ban in future, and tbh, rightly so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed
Easter is a good pair of hands in the lineout and at the restart - apart from that he offers nothing in attack and is just a standard defender, nothing impressive
Haskell and Waldrom are both better

It looked like a late shoulder charge to the head to me, one week ban is fine.
Only worrying thing for England in this game is France's ability to go from terrible to amazing in the space of 2 minutes.

Just a quick question : Why did Estebanez get a 3 week ban for his spear tackle (who honestly didn't seem to be nasty at all), and Armitage only one game ?

Because the citing commission are a bunch of fools
There's no consistency in any of their decisions ever

Just a quick question : Why did Estebanez get a 3 week ban for his spear tackle (who honestly didn't seem to be nasty at all), and Armitage only one game ?

Whilst I am not saying in this in terms of a conspiracy theory, I would like to know why he (Armitage) got half of what is considered the minimum ban when he has previous. Again, I think 1 week is a tad harsh, so no petty mongering.

Edit: Took me so long to post, see Olly's post

Latest posts