• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Ireland - Wales (08-10-2011, 18:00)

Just got a text from someone who know's what is happening in Irish team and well Best is going to be named as a starter for Saturday but not sure if this guarantees his fitness

1.15 or 1.35 wednesday morning
Yes team named at 1:15 am Irish time on Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Cian Healy
2. To be announced
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Conor Murray
10. Ronan O'Gara
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney
Replacements:
16. To be announced
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Eoin Reddan
21. Jonathan Sexton
22. Andrew Trimble

There's the team, really hope Best is fit would be a huge loss.

1. Cian Healy
2. To be announced
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Conor Murray
10. Ronan O'Gara
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney
Replacements:
16. To be announced
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Eoin Reddan
21. Jonathan Sexton
22. Andrew Trimble

There's the team, really hope Best is fit would be a huge loss.

no changes so (hopefully)

I really hope that best is fit, he has put so much work into his game over the last few years and is a complete workhorse. I also would have reservations on Varley (I would probably put Sherry on the bench instead). All in all should be an absolute cracker of a game. Ireland to put in an intensely aggressive performance and shade it by less than 7.

I think Ireland will win this game by 20 points or so. Wales are good, but I just don't think they have the experience or ability to beat a world class side who are on fire. Shown against SA. Goodluck to both sides.

Just to confirm Rory Best has been doing contact and scrummaging training which shows how much progress ne has made and how close to being match fit he is. Hopefully he can continue to recover quickly.

ITV didn't write Wales off. They certainly gave them credit for their superb showing so far in this World Cup and said they have a very promising young squad but the added experience of Ireland's team with the likes of O'Gara and O'Driscoll would be too much for them. Going to be nothing is this one.

I fancy Ireland to take this one. The main difference is Ireland are full of players who have won HECs while the Welsh have not anything near that experience. The Irish pack is also better. As usual the Welsh play a better brand of rugby and will probably look to go wide.

It might not be an exciting game either. During the 6 nations both teams just kicked it back to each other so it could go that way. I think it'll be a good game though.

The team was announced this morning.
15 - Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) Captain
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)/Sean Cronin (Leinster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Replacements:
16 - Sean Cronin (Leinster)/Damien Varley (Garryowen/Munster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
18 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
22 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

I fancy Ireland to take this one. The main difference is Ireland are full of players who have won HECs while the Welsh have not anything near that experience. The Irish pack is also better. As usual the Welsh play a better brand of rugby and will probably look to go wide.

It might not be an exciting game either. During the 6 nations both teams just kicked it back to each other so it could go that way. I think it'll be a good game though.
Whilst I fully agree with you point regarding the Irish players ability to handle pressure games, I must disagree with your analysis of the packs.
Up front, I feel that Wales have a true advantage. Adam Jones and Gethin Jenkins are two key components of the Welsh game and are undoubtedly among the best props in the world.
Cian Healy and Mike Ross have shown some good form throughout the tournament thus far, but I feel that Jenkins and Jones will have an edge in quality and match experience.

If we look at the second rows, while O'Connell is understandably the leader for both nations, I would rank Charteris/Jones/Davies all higher than O'Callaghan. They too can be relied upon to give Wales a solid scrum.
The back row is incredibly difficult to gauge. Both Stephen Ferris and Sean O'Brien have been forces in the back row, but the idea of playing two blindsides in the backrow is questionable. Sam Warburton's natural ability to play as an openside will give him an edge over O'Brien and provide Wales with a variety of skills in the back row, when Dan Lydiate and Toby Faletau are included for consideration.

Dan Lydiate is perhaps the better option for blindside than Ryan Jones. While he is only coming back from injury, I can see him being selected over Jones when you compare recent performances. Dan Lydiate has an immense workrate and unafraid of looking for work. Toby Faletau's performances have been mixed so far. He has put in plenty of tackles and not afraid to hit rucks, but he needs to look to carry more and provide an option as a supporting runner for the backline.

I would like to see a backline consisting of Mike Phillips, Rhys Priestland, Shane Williams, Jamie Roberts, James Hook, George North, and Leigh Halfpenny. Priestland has looked better than Stephen Jones so far, and has done little to make him a candidate to be dropped. James Hook would slot in well alongside the in-form Jamie Roberts and offer Priestland a playmaking option outside if he is under pressure. Shane Williams is too valuable to be dropped, while George North's current form puts him on the other wing. Leigh Halfpenny is currently our best option for fullback. Lee Byrne has just not shown the form necessary to start and could indeed be a liability in this match. While I feel that James Hook would not cause us any worries at fullback, we need a player that can hit the line at pace and attack from deep. Leigh Halfpenny has reminded us just how good he really his. He is stronger than he looks and possesses a massive boot.

The back replacements would be along the lines of Lloyd Williams, Scott Williams, and Jonathan Davies. Two centres might seem to be an odd choice, but between Jamie Roberts and James Hook there is coverage for nearly every backline position. I have really not been impressed with Tavis Knoyle, while Lloyd Williams has looked both calm and eager when coming off the bench. I could see him keeping his position in the matchday squad following the World Cup.

Good points Draggs, couple of things I'd highlight...

The Healy/Ross combo's been in good form for quite some time actually. I'm not sure what will happen against Jenkins and Jones, but I'm not so sure its going to be advantage Wales.

Don't rate Charteris, do rate Davies... probably equal between the second rows.

Ireland have been playing with this sort of balance in the back-row for ages, no denying that Warburton could exploit it but no gurantee either. Will all come down to the day - so I do agree that I'm not sure the Irish pack is better.

I like your backline and agree that Byrne shouldn't start. Would probably have Jones on the bench though. Also, despite what I just said, think Davies' extra size might be the correct choice for this game. If Wales can bully the Irish backline at the contact point, its going to make a massive difference.

Healy and Ross have done well so far. I can admit I wish John Hayes and Marcus Horan were within consideration. If Jenkins and Jones can hit good form then I feel Wales will have an advantage in the scrums and the loose, but by how much I don't know. We have really missed Gethin. Forget a flanker-at-heart, he wants to be an outside half! Adam Jones is simply a cornerstone in our scrum. Craig Mitchell isn't bad, but I feel much better when Adam is starting.

Despite him being a Dragon, I was not traditionally a Charteris supporter. While it was good to see him in the Welsh squad, I often questioned his selection being due to height and not true skill. I am pleased to say that I feel he can now really be considered as a viable second row option. He has performed well up to this point, and as of right now is our second row starter.

Ireland haven't played with a tradition 7 for a while now, you are right. David Wallace has never been an openside in the sense of Martyn Williams, among others. Both Warburton and O'Brien are class player, and it could be the case there being parity in such a position and no player having a clear advantage overall.

Jonathan Davies has done little with his size. We need a skillful player alongside Roberts to help move our backline. Indeed, I feel that many of the characteristics of Jonathan Davies' performance against Namibia that were hailed by many could actually be a negative against other opposition. While he broke the line well, he ignored supporting runners too often and tried to go alone. It worked that match and one could say that he would play differently against other opposition, I have seen little to back this up.

So ****** off have one of the most important matches of the year so not sure wheter to get up early.

Will someone please realise that Heaslip does the work of a 7.

So ****** off have one of the most important matches of the year so not sure wheter to get up early.
It's not that early, only 6am, better than a 4am kickoff!

Will someone please realise that Heaslip does the work of a 7.
Why isn't he in the 7 shirt then?

Irelands backrow functions well because all three of the players chip in with the 7 duties

Putting O'brien 8 and Heaslip 7 would be interesting.

Keith Earls is a ****ING ******. KIDNEY IS A RETARD FOR PICKING THAT DICK. OH WAIT HE DOESN'T HAVE 1. NORTH IS GONNA STEAM ROLL HIM

Latest posts