• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Springboks - Wallabies (09-10-2011, 18:00)

How the hell Bismarck, one of the best hookers in world rugby, can be benched by Smit is beyond me.
I truly feel bad for him. He gives it his all, every minute for the Sharks and Springboks, and gets crap. I'd prefer it if he just played for us all season.

How the hell Bismarck, one of the best hookers in world rugby, can be benched by Smit is beyond me.
I truly feel bad for him. He gives it his all, every minute for the Sharks and Springboks, and gets crap. I'd prefer it if he just played for us all season.

It just keeps the rest of nations at ease - PdV is just being diplomatic. Needs friends after this world cup is over.

Except for David Lemi. Owned him "like a Boss" :cool:

You have to feel for the guy. And the expression on his face when he is pulled from the field for Smit says it all

Wallabies to take this for me.

I know South Africa are a good cup team and all that. But their performance in the Tri-Nations was so astonishingly mediocre, so vacant of any semblance of quality, that I can't see them winning. I mean, at times over the last 4 years they've been so bad they may have well been playing in another stadium.

Some stats for both these teams going into the match.

Tackles completed

RSA - 90.25% (480 completed/ 52 missed)
AUS - 94.5% (327 completed / 19 missed)

Kicking Success (PKs, Conversions)
RSA - 81.81%
AUS - 68.75%

Drop Kicks
RSA - 0/3
AUS - 0/0

Rucks won
RSA - 92% (298/324)
AUS - 93.4% (256/274)

Scrums won (own feed)
RSA- 100% (28 won/ 0 lost)
AUS - 87% (27 won/ 4 lost)

Lineouts Won (own throw)

RSA - 82.35% (42 lost / 9 lost)
AUS - 82% (36 won/8 lost)

Penalties conceded

RSA - 34
AUS - 41

You have to feel for the guy. And the expression on his face when he is pulled from the field for Smit says it all

That to me is almost a reason not to start him. Yes his probably the best hooker in the world, but thats a bad attitude in my opinion.

The fact that Bismarck is not starting does not mean he will not play. Bringing on someone of his quality in the second half is MASSIVE. I think PDV made the right call by starting Smit. His experience in the initial stages of the game is going to be critical. When you bring on subs, they need to make an impact and with players like Hougie, Bismarck and Aplon, we have that - game changers.

I would have preferred the Beast to be on the bench over CJ but the management team has to be trusted right now. Even the reporters were caught off guard, they asked " what injury is the beast carrying?"

Have to agree with saffer.

Yeah leaving out the beast was a surprise, but with our backline injuries it was probably the right decision. Cj can cover both props and we dont want smit scrumming at prop against the ozzies.

Tackles completed

RSA - 81.81%
AUS - 68.75%

Drop Kicks
RSA - 0/3
AUS - 0/0

Rucks won
RSA - 92% (298/324)
AUS - 93.4% (256/274)

Scrums won (own feed)

Lineouts Won (own throw)

Penalties conceded

RSA - 34
AUS - 41

Bryce Lawrence!

Tackles completed

RSA - 81.81%
AUS - 68.75%

Drop Kicks
RSA - 0/3
AUS - 0/0

Rucks won
RSA - 92% (298/324)
AUS - 93.4% (256/274)

Scrums won (own feed)

Lineouts Won (own throw)

Penalties conceded

RSA - 34
AUS - 41

Thanks, also;

2011 RWC NZ

Points for / against
SA 166 / 24
Aus 173 / 48

Tries for / against
SA 21 / 2
Aus 25 / 4

These stats all suggest that SA has a slight edge in the set pieces and goal kicking while Aus has an advantage in open play. Both teams have a great defense; the 3 tries Aus allowed to Russia somewhat skews the stat IMO.

The smallest things will determine who win here.

I played the game on Rugby08 with the announced Bok team at Wellington: was not pretty. Struggled without Bakkies in lineout and Frans Steyn all-round. Was down 27-6 at half time and 27-20 at full-time. First ever loss to Australia in the game! bad omen. Morne never got into the game.

On the plus side, I also played Pumas-All Blacks as Argentina, and we won 24-20. :)

Wallabies-Pumas semi ???

This just in:

Australia:

1. Sekope Kepu
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Dan Vickerman
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Radike Samo
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Pat McCabe
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

Replacements:

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Nathan Sharpe
19. Ben McCalman
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Anthony Faingaa

I like this a lot, I think Barnes should be starting 12... how ever, they know this team works, so why fix it if its not broken? Also if they did have Barnes start then they would have 2 centres on the bench or 1 would have to miss out... I think this 22 squad is the best pick

Last edited:
Not playing Barnes at 12 will come back to haunt you guys. Also Higgenbottom is so unlucky to miss out to Elsom and then miss out to McCalman 2?:s

Your forwards have to turn up and be physical, you're not going to win the scrums but you have to win the battle at the breakdown and not get bullied like you have in the past (England/Ireland) if they can secure the ball, the backs have got enough skill to score a couple :p. But Barnes should be at 12, you need a cool head dictating the game at this point. Cooper is not a coolhead. McCabe hasen't even got one.

If Barnes was at 12 that would be superb - as it stands it's only "bloody good"

Very happy to see AAC back at 13, where he belongs

Higginbotham???????????? What is Deans doing?... Bismark of Australia is it?

To be fair Higgers hasn't done much this world cup/tri nations campaign to secure a place in this set up. His excellent form for the reds hasn't been carried over to test level, which is a shame because McCalman hasn't been much better.

Should the selectors have gone for a 5-2 split on the bench though against arguably the world's most physical pack?

McCabe needs to hit hard and fast in defence and run strong and straight. If he does that successfully his selection in the starters will be warranted. Barnes to come on early if things aren't looking rosy, but I think this one will go down to the wire.

Last edited:
Damm, need Barnes there.

On Higgenbotham... Remember that McCalman can cover 4/5/6/7/8 and jump at the line out. On a perfectly dry game i'd go with Higgenbotham, but on a cold/windy/wet day I'd go with a more versatile forward.

Damm, need Barnes there.

On Higgenbotham... Remember that McCalman can cover 4/5/6/7/8 and jump at the line out. On a perfectly dry game i'd go with Higgenbotham, but on a cold/windy/wet day I'd go with a more versatile forward.
Higgenbotham is one of thee dangerous forwards in the game. One that makes opposition fans hope he's not playing. Australia need that since the rest of their forwards don't produce a more dangerous game than he. Especially McCalman

Latest posts